The North-American Heavy Metal 7" Guide (Ye Olde Obscure)

Discussions and comments on The Corroseum website, its articles, features and reviews.
bigfootkit

Re: The North-American Heavy Metal 7" Guide (Ye Olde Obscure)

Post by bigfootkit »

Loving the new sampler Kristian, many thanks. A really nice blend of the familiar & the completely unknown.
Of the latter, i'm really enjoying Paragon's prog-leaning track which is such a well written song with a neat but all-too-brief guitar solo. King Neptune's track is an unusual blend of influences which really caught my ear. 'Keep Fighting' by Crisis, whilst lacking identity, is an undeniably infectious slice of tough street-Metal. The singer for Roland Quest deserves to be lavished with praise for his spot-on Geddy Lee impression, not a singer you hear aped very often, but this guy's spookily accurate. Their song's quite commercial, but very well done.
Only the amateurish Lani song struck me as a real stinker, and subsequent plays will doubtless reveal further delights so thanks once again for putting this together.
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

One listen: DED ENGINE, KING NEPTUNE, MINOTAUR, BLACK ONYX for me, for now. I sharpened my ears for LANI and it could be in so-ba-ia-go sub-genre, got some kind of New Wave vibes, LOL. QUICK CHANGE boggle my mind. That tribal part, is that them, or was it collaged together? A question: Is BISHOP STEEL's track entitled Shattered Silence or Shattered Existance (XENTRIX sneaking in subconsciously?)? In short: very decent first listen.
I am ... the One you warned me of
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Arealdocjep509 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:42 pm Khnud, what has been your biggest surprise on a 7" you have not heard before purchasing? Also on the other end, your biggest disappointment?

Also do you have a holy grail US single that you're still after?
Biggest surprise was probably SACRED REIGN. If only it had been released with a proper (stereo) sound!
Biggest disappointment is tougher. I'll have to think about that.

I have many holy grails I'm still looking for! Most of them I'll never be able to afford. FAR EAST, AVATAR, ASSAILANT, FALLOUT, STRYCHNINE etc etc.
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Noisenik wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:07 pm Is BISHOP STEEL's track entitled Shattered Silence or Shattered Existance (XENTRIX sneaking in subconsciously?)?
It's Shattered Silence https://www.discogs.com/release/7025851 ... el-Hold-On
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

Enjoyed the new sampler as usual! The unending hunt...
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

doomedplanet wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:41 pm Enjoyed the new sampler as usual! The unending hunt...
Thank you Sir. Have you heard the Dave Wagner Band demo from 1986 by the way? It RIPS. Dave is apparently in the process of remastering it.
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

Khnud wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:04 pm
doomedplanet wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:41 pm Enjoyed the new sampler as usual! The unending hunt...
Thank you Sir. Have you heard the Dave Wagner Band demo from 1986 by the way? It RIPS. Dave is apparently in the process of remastering it.
Nope. Never managed to get anything out of him back when we chatted. I think that was during myspace era.
Pavlos

Post by Pavlos »

THANX once again!!
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Another 15 bands added for your pleasure. Late as always - if I continue at this pace, this project will be done by the time I'm ready for retirement. Anyhow, please enjoy:

Anvil Chorus
Chyld
EQ
Hott Roxx
Infrared
Myth
Myzar
Pawnz
Priscilla
Ruby Cadilac
Slaughter Haüs 5
Slicker
Steeler
Vengeance
Wyzdom
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Thanks for another fascinating, enlightening & amusing read Kristian. A nice mix of underground classics & completely unknown obscuriosities you chose to scrutinise this time.
Speaking of those below-the-radar releases, I'm sure any of us here would have taken a punt on that Pawnz EP just on the strength of that excellent picture sleeve. As it doesn't sound like you're in a hurry to ever hear it again maybe you could frame it & hang it on your wall?
Whilst we're talking about picture sleeves, the Wyzdom variant pictured must surely have been made much later than 1985? From the colour cast of the printing to the topless girl in the top left corner (who's been cut out of an issue of 'Femmes Fatales') to the font used on the rear, this reeks of the 90's. Methinks a former band member put this together years later to help him shift a bunch of sleeveless records he'd been stuck with for a decade or so. A perfectly legitimate strategy & the execution's pretty good, but a more era appropriate design may have helped shift that old stock much quicker.
Dumb question time, is there a chance that the Slicker b-side 'Where Did The Boyzz Go?' is about late 70's Hard Rockers The Boyzz of 'Too Wild To Tame' 'fame'? I noted the spelling of 'Boyzz' & recalled they were also from Illinois & thus my half-baked theory was formed. I'm likely barking up the wrong tree, but once the notion occured to me i had to ask.
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

bigfootkit wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:27 amthe Wyzdom variant pictured must surely have been made much later than 1985?
Yes, you're probably correct, the coloured sleeve does have a "modern" look about it. I'm currently searching for a sepia coloured copy to compare - will update the review if I find one.
bigfootkit wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:27 am Dumb question time, is there a chance that the Slicker b-side 'Where Did The Boyzz Go?' is about late 70's Hard Rockers The Boyzz of 'Too Wild To Tame' 'fame'? I noted the spelling of 'Boyzz' & recalled they were also from Illinois & thus my half-baked theory was formed. I'm likely barking up the wrong tree, but once the notion occured to me i had to ask.
Once again, I think you might be correct. While the lyrics themselves doesn't explicitly reference the band (it's more of a lament over why there are no more hard rockers around anymore), the text on the back says "This project is a Tribute to the memorable "Boyzz from Illinoizz"", which I interpret as being the band in mention.

Sorry for the missing pictures, they should be up soon.
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Khnud wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:51 am Once again, I think you might be correct. While the lyrics themselves doesn't explicitly reference the band (it's more of a lament over why there are no more hard rockers around anymore), the text on the back says "This project is a Tribute to the memorable "Boyzz from Illinoizz"", which I interpret as being the band in mention.
I thought i was probably 'reaching' with my theory, but The Boyzz were indeed known as 'The Boyzz from Illinoizz' & that slogan appeared on t-shirts, badges etc. Nice that someone saw fit to namecheck them like that in song.

DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

After fixing a few missing pics in Khnud's latest update I've also taken the time to sort out his 3rd sampler of NorthAm HM/HR obscurities:

Man, this one might be my fave so far - absolutely crammed w/ awesome tunes, and a great flow and diversity to the tunes as well..
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

DaN wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:49 pm After fixing a few missing pics in Khnud's latest update I've also taken the time to sort out his 3rd sampler of NorthAm HM/HR obscurities:
Man, this one might be my fave so far - absolutely crammed w/ awesome tunes, and a great flow and diversity to the tunes as well..
Many thanks fellas, i'm looking forward to hearing this as both previous volumes have been compelling listens packed with previously unknown delights. Really nice cover art too, great job.
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Thanks guys! Love the cover, great job as always DaN!

If you really like that VXN track, I have a spare copy for sale/trade. :-)
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight