New bands playing REAL oldschool 80's thrash !!!!

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Well, I'd give those bands a two-albums period to go through violent phase and come with sth more or less their own on their third one, hoping they will not turn nu, screamo, emo or bastardised whatnot inbetween prior this happens.
I am ... the One you warned me of
tomas

Post by tomas »

I think you guys are thinking this over way too much. It's thrash! You're not supposed to do any thinking like 'I'd wait until they reach the 3rd-album stage and see if they still play the same stuff...'
I personally don't give a rat's ass if these bands make two or three albums that sound the same, as long as it's good.
I rarely think when I'm listening to thrash, the only thing that dominates my mind is 'Play even faster!!! FASTER!!!' 8)

otakon: Could you explain why Merciless Death sounds forced?
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Indeed, it is Thrash. But rather questionable. I don't see a good argument against development. I dare to say we all deserve sth more. Even fast playing should be subject to development. Playing "better" faster ...
I am ... the One you warned me of
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

The only complaint I have with them are the vocals, rest is great
Long Live The Loud !!!
otakon

Post by otakon »

tomas wrote:otakon: Could you explain why Merciless Death sounds forced?
not really, i've only heard the songs on myspace anyway it didnt catch me. i felt they try very hard to catch the thrash feeling and not bothered with trying to push the envelope, nothing wrong with that just not my bag i suppose. i'll still stick to Exumer. i sure dont feel like hunting down the CD when i heard those tracks....

perhaps i'm just overanalyzing and i'd REALLY like to see another new band continuing the path of bands like Deathrow/Voivod/Mefisto/Poison instead, instead of just fast fast thrash thrash like most modern thrash bands nowadays i'd like to see some intricate deep and 'fast' songwriting/musicianship for a change you know!?? :)
Helm

Post by Helm »

Don't expect people to play like Deathrow. All you need to play thrash like Merciless Death is a knack for making variations of the thrash riff forever (some bands fail even at this!) but to play like Deathrow you need really solid compositional skills and actual, non-ironic honest things to say about life and humanity. This doesn't happen to 'bring thrash back'.
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

HYADES is another pretty cool band worth checking out.

http://www.myspace.com/hyadesband

More in the 'mosh' style thrash I s'pose...?!
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

Check DEMIRICOUS new album "Two (Poverty)" !! Aggressive thrash with massive SLAYER influences, the album is even better than the first one !
Helm

Post by Helm »

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... d=20196629

Crucifier are good if you're in the mood for canadian-type thrash.
humus

Post by humus »

Introducing and promoting some good friends who I think fit in this topic:
http://www.myspace.com/metalhyenas
Soon there will be a selfreleased demo CDr. If you want one get in touch with me, because only 50 will be made and these are mainly for local people and to be sold at gigs.

And here is another local youngster band with an old school sound:
http://www.myspace.com/thrashindemnity
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

Avenger of Blood (thats the way Kreator should be sounding!)
Violator from Brazil are great!
Crucifier from Greece
and mexican StrikeMaster (i was one of the original members and i recorded up for the massacre album,now that im not in the band i think is actually good!)
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

I can't believe nobody named Funerot
They've released the best thrash album in years! Their style is 100% old school, but not in the fashionable retro-thrash style, which takes everything mainly from German thrash. This bands sounds like a mix of early Voivod with Slaughter (Can). It has a crossover vibe, but extremely aggressive. Higly reccomended
http://www.funerot.net/

Also, if you liked Municipal Waste I reccomend SSS, which aren't original, but I think they're better.
jman

Post by jman »

I saw Funerot live in a basement in Olympia WA where they are from and they definitely were exciting live and not jokey like MW.
steelangel

Post by steelangel »

the Brazilian scene is for me the best ! Listen to BYWAR, VIOLATOR, SLAVERY, COMANDO NUCLEAR, .... The Chilean one is great too.
Nightlock

Post by Nightlock »

Phantom Witch:

Found the link on Miskatonic think these guys are better than 90% of the bands mentioned in this thread. As mentioned on Miskatonic they do have a certain Show no Mercy vibe going on, But not overly if you ask me.

www.myspace.com/phantomwitch
"On your knees
Into the night that you'll never remember"