Ray Dorsey / Enlightened Chaos fanzine interview

Discussions and comments on The Corroseum website, its articles, features and reviews.
DaN
Administructor

Ray Dorsey / Enlightened Chaos fanzine interview

Post by DaN »

Praise Hail our master chief Noisenik!

His interview w/ Ray Dorsey of Enlightened Chaos fanzine has finally been added to The Corroseum website. Ray's contribution to the history and promotion of 80's Proper Heavy Metal quality-control can't be overrated, so I'm really glad to have his words on the matter preserved here. Enjoy:

otcmetal

Re: Ray Dorsey / Enlightened Chaos fanzine interview

Post by otcmetal »

Really happy to see this up. Ray is a great guy, and has gone through some pretty tough times recently. Good to see him get some recognition for all his contributions to the heavy music scene. Btw, he's seen it, and thought it came out really well! Hails to Noisenik for reaching out!!!
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Well done Noisenik, you did a great job & it's a thoroughly entertaining & very informative read.
Ray comes across really well. With his open-mindedness & zeal for music completely undimmed by the passage of time he seems like the living embodinment of his 'zine.
Seems obvious with hindsight that he would be someone who picked up on 'the hard stuff' early, which explains why 'Enlightened Chaos' featured such a wide range of bands across many eras.
Here's that Vanilla Fudge TV performance Ray references as his point of entry. I can imagine what an eye openener that must have been for him 55 years ago, Tim Bogert's bass tone is utterly filthy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tyQrd1JbXc
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

Just enjoyed reading that in depth interview with Ray.

I have to give credit where credit is due. Ray asked me if I knew of The Lord Weird Slough Feg. At the time I did not. He had just received the mini-cd on Beef Rock. I'm pretty sure I mention this during the podcast episode I'm on at http://sloughfeg.com/feed/category/radio/

I once asked Ray back in the mid-90's if he would photocopy all the back issues for me & I would pay. It never happened. Would love to read them still.

Anyway, I do have issues #32, 33, 34 &36 and can scan those for the archive if you want them DaN?
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

I found # 35 & this killler review. Thanks Ray, we still appreciate it. To the best of my knowledge this was the 1st review of Twilight.

IMG_20240220_182340.jpg
IMG_20240220_182340.jpg (172.18 KiB) Viewed 758 times
IMG_20240220_182346.jpg
IMG_20240220_182346.jpg (100.62 KiB) Viewed 758 times
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Wow, Ray really didn't sit on the fence in that write-up. Must've been a thrill for the TLWSF guys to see such fulsome praise heaped upon their record. Mr Dorsey really nailed their sound then with his carefully chosen reference points too.
I'm reminded, in stark contrast, of the very worst review i ever saw which was directed at the Smashing Pumpkins for their 'comeback' LP 'Zeitgeist' & contained just one word.
"Shitegeist". :lol: :lol: :lol:
I recall being impressed that the author managed to both reference Spinal Tap & utterly damn the album using just 10 letters.
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

doomedplanet wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:26 am Just enjoyed reading that in depth interview with Ray.

I have to give credit where credit is due. Ray asked me if I knew of The Lord Weird Slough Feg. At the time I did not. He had just received the mini-cd on Beef Rock. I'm pretty sure I mention this during the podcast episode I'm on at http://sloughfeg.com/feed/category/radio/

I once asked Ray back in the mid-90's if he would photocopy all the back issues for me & I would pay. It never happened. Would love to read them still.

Anyway, I do have issues #32, 33, 34 &36 and can scan those for the archive if you want them DaN?
TLWSF saved my faith in trad HM/life in the late 90's-early 00's so huge creds to the both of you. That review is spot-on.
Concerning the later EC issues, I normally don't feature stuff from the later 90's in the archive but I guess this would be a perfect exception. Could you pm/mail me a short description on the band content?
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

I certainly second that, I mean scanning the issues you have Rob and putting them on site! Cheers.
DaN wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:06 am
doomedplanet wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:26 am Just enjoyed reading that in depth interview with Ray.

TLWSF saved my faith in trad HM/life in the late 90's-early 00's so huge creds to the both of you. That review is spot-on.
Concerning the later EC issues, I normally don't feature stuff from the later 90's in the archive but I guess this would be a perfect exception. Could you pm/mail me a short description on the band content?
I am ... the One you warned me of
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Guys, thank you for the support, esp. otcmetal for giving me a chance to interview Ray and DaN for making it looking really neat on the site. Btw. DaN, you got email.

However I am a bit disappointed, for I dare to say, Ze would also be pleased with it. He would be pleased even more with one I have in the works right now, but sadly didn't stand a chance to wait. I promise you even greater read if everything goes well. Stay tuned!
I am ... the One you warned me of
otcmetal

Post by otcmetal »

Hey everybody, just wanted to post a link here for Ray and his family. They have a GoFundMe started to help try and get back on their feet. He's recently gone through prostate cancer surgery, lost their housing and just had their car repossessed. He's been off work to recover and going through some serious financial strain. Anyway, I know he'd be very appreciative if anyone could help in any way. He never asked me to share here, and I didn't tell him I was going to, but I thought maybe some of you would like to help out if you can. Link:

Edit: I decided to delete the GoFundMe link, since I didn't want anyone to think it was not legit. Just trying to help out. I didn't start the GFM; It was Ray himself on his Facebook page. If anyone might be interested, he still has it up there.