Good double bass pedals for fast playing?

When mere Metal consumerism is not enough - a forum for musicians and their trinkets.
Crows In Black

Good double bass pedals for fast playing?

Post by Crows In Black »

Does anyone know a good double bass drum pedal that is good for playing really fast double bass patterns? for a long time ive only had a basic cheap ass pearl set that really arent very responsive and make it hard to play fast and play fast for a long time.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Fast as in black metal? Or fast as in modern brutal Death Metal? I remember, for instance, Immortal had a double pedal that played two (consecutive) beats with one press. You meant sth like that? But as far as I know they're not really reliable, but quite poseurish at the same time. If that's the case, I'd suggest that you browse what gear aforemntioned band(s) use(s).
I am ... the One you warned me of
Azaras

Post by Azaras »

Many drum companies make top-of-the-line pedals. No matter which you buy (it's a matter of personal preference), these top-of-the-line pedals are all quite good.

The ones I use are IRON COBRA Tama pedals. This is because despite being top-of-the-line pedals which are for all intents and purposes much cheaper than PEARL and AXIS pedals, they are much more affordable. I paid $185 and got a good set of EXCELLENT bass drum pedals. They are not only top of the line but very resilient and not easy to damage. You can get them in rolling glide (more control), strap glide (straps instead of chains), and power glide (snapping at the end for increased power). I use power glides, but sorta wish I had bought the rolling glide ones. Not a matter, of course - my pedals are still excellent.

Pearl ELIMINATORS are the top-of-the-line pearl pedals, and many extremely fast double bass players use them.

AXIS pedals are often considered the gold standard for death metal drummers and speed runs. I don't sense much difference in them from other ones, of course, but drummers like Hellhammer and Pete Sandoval use them, for whatever that is worth to you. The guy who also holds the record for the fastest feet as of 2005 uses them. They cost at least 75% to 100% more than Iron Cobras, however. I was about to shell out $375, until I realized that I really don't play 250 beats per minute and never will. Fuck grind, HAIL DOOM.

DW5000 accelerator ( is that what they are called ?) pedals are also excellent. Many jazz players with incredibly fast feet use them.

Of course, nowadays people are sporting magnetic pedals with no straps and chains. These seem like they'd be ideal, but they still make me wary - what happens if you depolarize them or something?

Anyways, I hope this helps you! I'm not AMAZING at double-bass work but I'm alright, I guess. I really don't think this technique is necessary for heavy metal. BTW, how did you get fast at your double foot technique? Just practicing R-L-R-L all the time?
Last edited by Azaras on Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Azaras

Post by Azaras »

Note that I also use single pedals on two separate bass drums. I've never used a double-pedal on a single bass drum, because I don't like how they play.

I don't imagine the double-pedal versions of the ones I listed above are much different than their single pedal counterparts, but you may want to try them out in a music store first to be sure.
Azaras

Post by Azaras »

My advice is also to get your hi-hat pedal(s) from the same company and of the same standard as your bass drum pedals. Therefore, I use two IRON COBRA hi-hat pedals for the hi-hats, in addition to the IRON COBRA bass drum pedals.

The reason for this is that your feet get used to playing something totally different on the bass drum, and it's a shock sometimes trying to get your hi-hat pedal to react with the same sensitivity while playing quickly.

Also, if you play regular heavy metal beats a lot your left foot will be on your hi-hat pedal a lot, meaning that your left foot will be a little less able to deal with your more sensitive bass drum pedal. If you use the same type of pedal for your hi-hats as for your bass drum, that means that even when your left foot is just manipulating the hi-hats in a single-bass beat, it is still getting experience with the same type of pedal it's going to use in double bass, right?

So my advice is rather than get a really really really really really good (supposedly) double-pedal like the AXIS, get "only" a really really really really good but cheaper double pedal like IRON COBRA, and then spend the extra money on a hi-hat IRON COBRA pedal.
deadhedned

Post by deadhedned »

one of my old drummers was a firm believer in DW5000's but always wanted a second bass drum instead. Honestly you won't get the response and speed as you would if you have two bass drums (note: I'm not a drummer but every drummer I've ever jammed with has confirmed that statement)
Nocturnal Graves

Post by Nocturnal Graves »

I use Pearl Eliminators and they're fukkin great. I would reccomend these as with the cam varaiations you get a very wide scope of feel from the pedal depending on the style you are playing at the time. They can be easily interchanged saving time fukking around trying to get the pedals to feel right again.

They're great quality too.
jared

Post by jared »

my drummer plays with iron cobras. she plays pretty fast.
lynx

Post by lynx »

deadhedned wrote:one of my old drummers was a firm believer in DW5000's but always wanted a second bass drum instead. Honestly you won't get the response and speed as you would if you have two bass drums (note: I'm not a drummer but every drummer I've ever jammed with has confirmed that statement)
I'm not a drummer either, but that makes sense because you get more rebound with one beater in the middle and not as many hits per drum.

It should also sound better: more bass so it won't sound as top heavy (acoustically), and there should also be more sustain on the individual drum hits (since one bd gets half the hits of a double pedal single bd setup).

However, most drummers these days are against having 2 bass drums.