European (Italian?) pop-rock band releasing a single metal song in the 2000s

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Lord_Sauron

European (Italian?) pop-rock band releasing a single metal song in the 2000s

Post by Lord_Sauron »

I asked about this on another forum, but didn't receive an answer. I hope I can post this here.

I know this sounds a bit vague, but I have a clear memory of a "metal songs by non-metal bands" topic (Corroseum? "Metal Archives"?) and there was a mention of a melodic heavy metal song made by a European pop-rock (or even pop band).

What I know:
- the song was the only metal(lic) song released by that band; it is not a case of a classic rock band releasing a metal album like Czech band Olympic
- the song could be described as "melodic heavy metal"; I think it had some keyboards in it
- the band releasing it had a long non-metal career (probably active since 1970s or early 1980s)
- the band was European (I THINK Italian)

Thanks to everyone in advance.
Nonseinormale65

Re: European (Italian?) pop-rock band releasing a single metal song in the 2000s

Post by Nonseinormale65 »

Maybe this one?

Dragoni was a belgian band formed by italian immigrants in the 70, a boring pop band in my opinion but
in 1981 they released this 7" 45 rpm, A side is totally crap while the B side is quite interesting...
Solo i morti hanno visto la fine della guerra.
tbieri

Re: European (Italian?) pop-rock band releasing a single metal song in the 2000s

Post by tbieri »

[url]]
Or this? :D :oops:
Lord_Sauron

Post by Lord_Sauron »

tbieri wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:03 pm [url]]
Or this? :D :oops:
hhahahah, no :)
I am actually quite familiar with his output

It's not I Dragoni, either. The song in question was more modern, and I think I actually prefer I Dragoni more (and Heino, for that matter).

However, thank You both very much for taking time to answer the question.
Lord_Sauron

Post by Lord_Sauron »

OK, I will now sound like a complete fool, but I managed to find the song (after trying for about an hour few months ago without success).

Back then, I tried searching, amond many other things, "Italian" (and few other countries) and "pop rock" before, and nothing came, due to two spaces between "pop" and "rock" in the original post. Today, I entered "Italian pop" few minutes ago and found out that the song was "L'aquila e il falco" by Pooh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eKYc6pHzoY
Nonseinormale65

Lord_Sauron wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:22 pm OK, I will now sound like a complete fool, but I managed to find the song (after trying for about an hour few months ago without success).

Back then, I tried searching, amond many other things, "Italian" (and few other countries) and "pop rock" before, and nothing came, due to two spaces between "pop" and "rock" in the original post. Today, I entered "Italian pop" few minutes ago and found out that the song was "L'aquila e il falco" by Pooh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eKYc6pHzoY
Don't be so surprised...Roby Facchinetti (Pooh keyboards player) is a true metalhead...and the rest of the band has always loved hard rock/metal...in their early days in late 60s and early 70s the band played prog rock and cut their teeth playing live some cover of Deep Purple,Black Sabbath,Led Zep and Uriah Heep too...later then they adapted to playing a more mainstream pop rock suited to the tastes of the mass of the Italian public for a living but they never lost the rock vein...i saw them live a couple of time,very good band...btw it is not uncommon to meet Facchinetti at metal concerts with his son especially at thrash and death ones...look at the following pic,here is what Roby usually plays on his turntable at home...Venom,Motorhead,Metallica etc. etc.
Attachments
roby-facchinetti-.-metal-2016.jpg
roby-facchinetti-.-metal-2016.jpg (67.67 KiB) Viewed 3995 times
Nonseinormale65

One of their greatest prog song(1973):

a modern live version of the same song:

Lord_Sauron

Post by Lord_Sauron »

I must admitt I am surprised to hear about the keyboard player. I was alwas aware of Pooh, but never considered them to be even remotely connected to hard(er) rock. Seems that I should give some of their earlier material a listen as soon as I can :)
Nonseinormale65

Here is an interview with Roby (of course is in italian) where he commemorates and praises Lemmy and talks about his relationship with heavy metal and also recalls when the Pooh opened for Led Zeppelin in Milan in 1971, a concert that ended up in chaos when left-wing extremists broke down the gates of the venue throwing smoke bombs and Molotov cocktails everywhere...

http://blog.emp-online.it/interviste/in ... ack-metal/

Facchinetti and his son Roby Jr. :lol:
Attachments
facchinetti and son.jpg
facchinetti and son.jpg (110.9 KiB) Viewed 3983 times