CULT OF THE UNDERDOG Podcast : Episode 7 Now Available!

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
bigfootkit

CULT OF THE UNDERDOG Podcast : Episode 7 Now Available!

Post by bigfootkit »

CULT OF THE UNDERDOG
Episode 7 : Nest Of Scorpions (Oct 2022)

WARNING : This product does not meet the requirements of the relevant regulations and shows no demonstration of having been conformity assessed.

If you missed any of the previous episodes you can catch up here:
https://www.mixcloud.com/bigfootkit/
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
Noisenik

Re: CULT OF THE UNDERDOG Podcast : Episode 7 Now Available!

Post by Noisenik »

Another slab of rock hardness from one of Scotland most deserving music fans and it seems to be pretty obscure. Apart from T2's 'No More White Horses', yes T2 is the bandname, and RAINBOW's kinda outro I am barefooted again. Wonder who are the Maiden fanatics that many would adore, (3rd or 4th track).
I am ... the One you warned me of
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

I spy with my little eye - AGENT ORANGE - Bloodstains. Grrreeat early 80's punk.
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Khnud wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:08 pm I spy with my little eye - AGENT ORANGE - Bloodstains. Grrreeat early 80's punk.
Noisenik wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:19 pm Apart from T2's 'No More White Horses', yes T2 is the bandname, and RAINBOW's kinda outro I am barefooted again. .
Thanks for taking the time to listen fellas, your support is very much appreciated. As seems to always be the case, i'm surprised & impressed at the songs identified straight away. On this most Heavy Metal of Metal forums you guys pick out T2 & Agent Orange?! :lol: Impressive deep knowledge & breadth of taste gentlemen. I'm sure some of the other selections will start to ring a bell if you dare subject yourselves to further plays. I have a feeling tbieri will recognise a bunch this time out.
tbieri

Post by tbieri »

have a feeling tbieri will recognise a bunch this time out.
Hmm. It don't look so! :lol: :( :lol:

I know one of the very early songs. I hear "Dead in case" or something like that but i don't remember who it is. But i am shure that i have that record.
Then we have a great song that sounds like heavier MESSIAH (US). But it's not.
Then a cool organ sound song i would like to know.
Not too far from the end is little slightly funky instrumental that sounds like Edgar Winter, but i don't think it is him!
After that song we can hear Ted Nugent i think.

That's all i can say! :oops:

Finding Birtha and Stepson was much easier, because they are easy in my top 20 of the 70ies!
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

I listened twice and ony recognized T2. But I'm not surprised, really exotic stuff in every one of these shows.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

tbieri wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:03 pm I know one of the very early songs. I hear "Dead in case" or something like that but i don't remember who it is. But i am shure that i have that record.
Try substituting 'Dead In Case' for 'Dead End Kids' & see if that helps jog your memory, :wink: and you did indeed hear Ted Nugent, the song was 'Venom Soup' from 'Weekend Warriors'. :D
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

Graham,
I recognized the Agent Orange song as I had heard it before but I could not remember any detail. Substitute a TSOL song from their early days I would recognize that instantly(hopefully).

the song at right around 19 minutes reminds me of Marquis De Sade, if it is I do'nt know the song title

after that is Liquid Diamonds - "Long ago" 1973 off the Sonny Vincent lp "Diamond Distance & Liquid Fury- Sonny Vincent: Primitive 1969-76"
HoZac Records – HZR-211. But you know I knew that :)
tbieri

Post by tbieri »

Try substituting 'Dead In Case' for 'Dead End Kids' & see if that helps jog your memory, :wink: and you did indeed hear Ted Nugent, the song was 'Venom Soup' from 'Weekend Warriors'. :D
It's from REX (Smith) then. From the debut.
It was not my memory that helped me but my database of my collection! :lol:
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

Why have I never seen that Rex lp before? Very odd. I need to check the local record store, but I always check the "R" & "S" sections, they tend to be some of my favorite.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

doomedplanet wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:18 pm Graham,I recognized the Agent Orange song as I had heard it before but I could not remember any detail. Substitute a TSOL song from their early days I would recognize that instantly(hopefully).
the song at right around 19 minutes reminds me of Marquis De Sade, if it is I do'nt know the song title
after that is Liquid Diamonds - "Long ago" 1973 off the Sonny Vincent lp "Diamond Distance & Liquid Fury- Sonny Vincent: Primitive 1969-76" HoZac Records – HZR-211. But you know I knew that :)

Had no idea you were a TSOL fan Rob, i love their early records, a hugely underrated band.
That Marquis De Sade sounding song isn't them but i hear the comparison. That one is unlikely to be identified here as it's never been made commercially available, but i'll reveal all in the fullness of time. And yes, that was Liquid Diamonds of course. :wink:
tbieri wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:36 pm It's from REX (Smith) then. From the debut. It was not my memory that helped me but my database of my collection! :lol:

Well done tbieri in identifying Rex, i knew you knew. :D
Their LPs are both great late 70s Hard Rock records that deserve to be better known with the debut just edging it for me. They had strong links to Starz as singer Rex Smith was the brother of Starz frontman Michael Lee & bassist Orville Davis joined Starz in time for their 'Coliseum Rock' album. Smith later became a pop pin-up in his solo career & then became a star of stage musicals on Broadway, whilst Davis became a Country solo artist. Not the typical career trajectories for ex-Hard Rockers. :D
doomedplanet wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:42 pm Why have I never seen that Rex lp before? Very odd.
Their records are seldom talked about in Hard Rock/Metal circles, perhaps because of Smith's subsequent pop/stage career or because the sleeves don't look promising as a blind punt, but they were on a major label so neither should be hard to find or particularly expensive. The initial reason i looked into them was because of the inclusion of one of their songs on the '84 'Striktly For Konnoisseurs' comp on MFN.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

The current episode has again hit several of the mixcloud charts. :shock: Thanks as always to everyone here for their interest & support of Cult Of The Underdog, it's very much appreciated.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Found out another three:

DIAMOND REO - It's A Jungle Out There

MELANIE HORSNELL - Sometimes (intermission song)

SHADOW - Tonight The Lights Go Out

These DIAMOND REO are top notch stuff. The list is getting longer and longer, gasp. Melanie's song I can't quite connect with the concept, but sounds OK. Will probably grow on me. SHADOW are pretty cool, too.

On the other hand cannot decipher Detroit song and one after is also a killer. That and DIAMOND REO are obviously B.Ö.C. inspired. Must be checked out further!
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

Noisenik wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:22 pm Found out another three:

DIAMOND REO - It's A Jungle Out There

MELANIE HORSNELL - Sometimes (intermission song)

SHADOW - Tonight The Lights Go Out

These DIAMOND REO are top notch stuff. The list is getting longer and longer, gasp. Melanie's song I can't quite connect with the concept, but sounds OK. Will probably grow on me. SHADOW are pretty cool, too.

On the other hand cannot decipher Detroit song and one after is also a killer. That and DIAMOND REO are obviously B.Ö.C. inspired. Must be checked out further!
Nice sorting that out. The Shadow 2 tracker is quite frustrating. The 10" essentially came out and sold out at a reunion show and I've never been able to find a copy, so really have not heard it.

Diamond Reo I would never have guessed. I have these 2 records. And that is it for some reason.
20221009_091534.jpg
20221009_091534.jpg (2.89 MiB) Viewed 4993 times

Notice the knives wedged under the strings of the guitars?
20221009_092754_3.jpg
20221009_092754_3.jpg (1.28 MiB) Viewed 4992 times
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

There's one Shadow 10' available on Discogs, located in Germany, but judging by the postage costs, the seller must live on one of islands in Baltic sea.

So you have both Ruff Cuts versions. On RYM that one got pretty low grades, below 3. But boy, that pose of the band. And yes, the knife could be the same as the one on front. Or maybe not.