CULT OF THE UNDERDOG Podcast : Episode 6 Now Available!

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
Keir

Re: CULT OF THE UNDERDOG Podcast : Episode 6 Now Available!

Post by Keir »

Thanks for this! As for identifying tracks, I got nothing beyond what was already named.

I must admit I still enjoy Triumph's more commercial tracks (loved "Magic Power" as a kid and it still makes me smile). Having said that, "Blinding Light Show" is definitely where it's at and I agree they should have done more songs like that one.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Keir wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:11 pm Thanks for this! As for identifying tracks, I got nothing beyond what was already named.

I must admit I still enjoy Triumph's more commercial tracks (loved "Magic Power" as a kid and it still makes me smile). Having said that, "Blinding Light Show" is definitely where it's at and I agree they should have done more songs like that one.
Perhaps i unwittingly skewed too obscure with the content this time? Hope it was still an enjoyable listen. I have a soft spot for some of the commercial Triumph stuff too like 'Lay It On The Line', but the grander harder material like 'Street Fighter' has stood the test of time far better to my ears.

EDIT - I gave Triumph's 3rd LP 'Just A Game' a spin last night for the first time in about 20 years. Had forgotten all about 'Young Enough To Cry', a great lengthy bluesy track with a comparible feel to Zeppellin's 'Since I Been Lovin' You' with some great emotive geetar from Emmett. Great to hear it again & the sparse jazzy closer 'Suitcase Blues' has worn well too. Of the more typical Triumph fare 'Lay It On The Line' is the pick of the bunch for me, they got the commercial/ballsy balance just right, but 'Magic Power' sounds a bit too saccharine for my jaded ole ears nowadays.
I made the mistake of following this with their 2nd LP 'Rock & Roll Machine' where they spread themselves too thin trying to play every style under the sun. One or 2 good songs, but too many cover versions & mostly disappointing.
I'll give 'Progressions Of Power' a fresh listen soon, there were a couple of crackers on it from memory. 'Tear The Roof Off' anyone? :D
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Is it time for me to post the full tracklist yet or should i leave it a little longer to allow latecomers a chance to name the unidentified remainder?
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

bigfootkit wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:48 am Is it time for me to post the full tracklist yet or should i leave it a little longer to allow latecomers a chance to name the unidentified remainder?
Perhaps it is still worth to wait for Khnud to tune in.
I am ... the One you warned me of
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

As a little encouragement for the 'name-that-tune' brigade i thought i'd post a partial tracklist naming only every 2nd song along with those already identified earlier in the thread by tbieri & Noisenik.

02. Baltik - Leslie Briggs (Cult Of The Underdog Theme) (from the 'Baltik' LP (1973))
04. Dukes Of Nothing - War & Wine (from the 'War & Wine' LP (2002))
06. Masters Apprentices - Death Of A King (from the 'Choice Cuts' LP (1971))
07. Goddo - Let That Lizard Loose (from the 'Goddo' LP (1977))
09. Dave Grusin - Errands (from the 'Adam At 6am' OST (1970))
11. John Barry - Theme From 'Orson Wells Great Mysteries' (from the 'Orson Welles Great Mysteries' TV OST (1973))
13. Banchee - Iceberg (from the 'Thinkin'' LP (1971))
14. Triumph - Don't Take My Life (from the 'Triumph' LP (aka 'In The Beginning...') (1976))
15. Iggy & The Stooges - Johanna (Alternate Version) (from the 'Open Up & Bleed' bootleg LP (1974))
17. The Suicide Commandos - Mosquito Crucifixion (from the 'The Suicide Commandos Make A Record' LP (1977))
19. Ravens'head - Gates Of Hell (from the 'From The Darkness' LP (2001))
21. The Rubinoos - Rock And Roll Is Dead (from the 'The Rubinoos' LP (1977))
tbieri

Post by tbieri »

Hmm, I was curious to know the name of the band with a female singer somewhere in the middle! But it'd still not there! :( :lol:
For the rest I do not know anything, sorry.
Nearly everything sounds familiar but at the end I have to admit that I was wrong for most of the songs
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

tbieri wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:15 am Hmm, I was curious to know the name of the band with a female singer somewhere in the middle! But it'd still not there! :( :lol:
For the rest I do not know anything, sorry.
Nearly everything sounds familiar but at the end I have to admit that I was wrong for most of the songs
:lol: Not to worry, i'll put you out of your misery by posting the full tracklist next weekend. :wink:
Keir

Post by Keir »

Oh you big tease!
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Keir wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:03 pmOh you big tease!
:lol: It's called showmanship dahhling. :D

bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Okay then, as we're now somehow into September it's time to spill the beans completely on the contents of the August episode. Read 'em an' weep & i'll see you on October for more of the same?

01. Derek Griffiths - Theme From 'Bod' (Theme from the 'Bod' TV Show (1975))
02. Baltik - Leslie Briggs (Cult Of The Underdog Theme) (from the 'Baltik' LP (1973))
03. Rose Tattoo - T.V., Play That Rock 'n' Roll (Jingle from Tommy Vance's BBC Radio 1 'Friday Rock Show' (1981))
04. Dukes Of Nothing - War & Wine (from the 'War & Wine' LP (2002))
05. Heyoka - It's All Gonna Be Alright (from the 'Whot Boogie' 7" (1978))
06. Masters Apprentices - Death Of A King (from the 'Choice Cuts' LP (1971))
07. Goddo - Let That Lizard Loose (from the 'Goddo' LP (1977))
08. Interaction - Stuck On Drugs (from the 'Rockslaget' Various Artists compilation LP (1981))
09. Dave Grusin - Errands (from the 'Adam At 6am' OST (1970))
10. Red Blade - Reconcile (from the 'Powerwalker' EP) (2011))
11. John Barry - Theme From 'Orson Wells Great Mysteries' (from the 'Orson Welles Great Mysteries' TV OST (1973))
12. Savage Grace - Blood Money (from the 'Savage Grace' cassette EP (1984))
13. Banchee - Iceberg (from the 'Thinkin'' LP (1971))
14. Triumph - Don't Take My Life (from the 'Triumph' LP (aka 'In The Beginning...') (1976))
15. Iggy & The Stooges - Johanna (Alternate Version) (from the 'Open Up & Bleed' bootleg LP (1974))
16. Michael Hedges - Because It's There (from the 'Live On The Double Planet' LP (1987))
17. The Suicide Commandos - Mosquito Crucifixion (from the 'The Suicide Commandos Make A Record' LP (1977))
18. The Hydromatics - Earthy (from the 'Parts Unknown' LP (aka 'The Hydromatics' (1999))
19. Ravens'head - Gates Of Hell (from the 'From The Darkness' LP (2001))
20. Frenzy- Last Chance (from the 'Warrior Women' 7" (1980))
21. The Rubinoos - Rock And Roll Is Dead (from the 'The Rubinoos' LP (1977))
tbieri

Post by tbieri »

First i thought; WHAT??? SAVAGE GRACE??? With a female singer???
Then i saw on discogs that this is another band. :D
I realley would be interrested to hear the whole thing! Is there somebody who could upload it? PLEASE!!!
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

tbieri wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:12 pm First i thought; WHAT??? SAVAGE GRACE??? With a female singer???
Then i saw on discogs that this is another band. :D
I realley would be interrested to hear the whole thing! Is there somebody who could upload it? PLEASE!!!
:lol: Yeah, this mob were originally from Ohio (they started out under the name 'Tight'), but were based in Detroit. They did a bunch of recordings in 1984 in Toronto with Michael Wagener producing which were supposed to comprise their debut album, but it never came to pass. When the singer & guitarist later moved to L.A. they tried to stir up some label interest by using 4 of the '84 tracks as a promo cassette, hence the 1990 release date. I've no idea if they had put together a new west coast line-up of the band at this time or if it was entirely speculative.
Seems really weird to me that they would choose to call themselves Savage Grace as the 'Masters Of Disguise' band were making waves at that time & must have been on their radar, but also because there had been a prior 60s/70s act with the same name too who'd released a couple of major label albums and were from Detroit.
I can upload the whole 84/90 tape if you want, but unfortunately the rest of the material is very much in the AOR/Melodic Hard Rock mould & nothing else comes close to the majesty of 'Blood Money'. You can check out the rest of the tape via the YT links below & hear for yourself & if you still want an upload lemmy know. The first song made it to vinyl on 1985's 'WLLZ Motor City Rocks III' comp LP.

tbieri

Post by tbieri »

Very melodic indeed. And a bit too mellow also.
But i still like it! She's a really good singer, the sound is good, good musicanship, good songs.
So i am still interrested to have those songs on my phone! :D
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

tbieri wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:39 am Very melodic indeed. And a bit too mellow also.
But i still like it! She's a really good singer, the sound is good, good musicanship, good songs.
So i am still interrested to have those songs on my phone! :D
No problem tbieri, i'll upload it tonight for you. Just wanted to make sure you weren't expecting too much as the sound throughout is quite different from 'Blood Money'. For that style of music it is however very well done & as you said, the singer has a great voice. One of the former members (i think it was the drummer) did at one point upload the entire unreleased album for d/l via a link i found on one of his old YT posts, but unfortunatelly that link was dead by the time i discovered it. If you're really keen perhaps a PM might persuade him to share the whole thing with you.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

We got lucky, i had it on my PC rather than an external hard drive that i had to go hunting for. Here you go:

SAVAGE GRACE - Promo Cassette (recorded 1984, released 1990)
256 kbps

https://www.discogs.com/release/1497169 ... vage-Grace

art included
Exclusive content for logged in users.
Last edited by bigfootkit on Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.