Most out of place record find?

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
DaN
Administructor

Re: Most out of place record find?

Post by DaN »

Here's a funny one:
20-odd years ago I was visiting some friends in Gothenburg, one which was currently a student and thus in constant need of cash. Being ever the goodhearted Friend In Need, I of course offered to buy a large part of his old vinyl collection from him :D
Several hundred euros later I had 2 large bags filled with dozens of classic Thrash stuff, including pretty much full discogs of classics like Sodom, Razor, Kreator, Destruction, Artillery etc - AND the "most out of place" major oddity: a pristine copy of "Black Death" by BROCAS HELM(!)
Turns out he got this copy from his old friend Ronny Eide (Morbid Mag) as part of a repayment of a dept, played it once and, as a consistent die-hard Death-Thrasher, never returned to it..
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

So, your story is basically that you found a metal record in a bunch of other metal records? :mrgreen:
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Khnud wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:32 pm So, your story is basically that you found a metal record in a bunch of other metal records? :mrgreen:
Yeah ...but an True Epic Kült one amongst merely general True Kült ones :lol:
Now you need to elaborate some on that story from your last email.. :)
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

DaN wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:42 pm Now you need to elaborate some on that story from your last email.. :)
Hmm, well you're right, they were kinda out of place.

Last Sunday, a friend came to visit and we thought we'd take a road trip/record hunting trip around here on Monday before heading to Copenhagen the day after. So, we went to Malmö and searched through all the record stores there, but found basically nothing. And we went to Lund and checked here too, but nothing. Since we still had many hours left before closing time, I suggested we could always drive an hour to the south coast and check out an old megalithic monument. Plus I'd seen a note online from the local gift/2nd hand shop there that they had some metal records to sell. So, we took off even though we were sure it'd most likely be a bust. This is a popular tourist spot consisting of a small fishing village of about 150 people, plus the megalithic monument. And a small gift shop. Not the best place to score ancient metal.

But, along with the usual souvenirs they actually had records. We picked most of the metal ones. I came home with:

Annihilator - Never Neverland
Artch - Another Return
Gamma Ray - Heading For Tomorrow
Megadeth - So Far, So Good, So What
Megadeth - Rust In Peace
Mezzrow - Then Came The Killing
Mournblade - Live Fast Die Young
Possessed - Beyond The Gates
Sepultura - Morbid Visions
Testament - Souls Of Black
Vectom - Speed Revolution

All original pressings, most in NM/NM condition.

My friend bought Entombed - Left Hand Path (original on Earache).

Turned out they belonged to a local couple whose teenaged kid had passed away many years ago and the records had just sat in his old room untouched due to grief - until now when the parents finally decided it was time to move on and sell some of his old stuff. Don't get me wrong, it feels good to find records in the wild again, but stories like this always get to me. :(
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
Keir

Post by Keir »

This isn't very exciting I know, but last week I was on vacation in North Conway, NH. I stopped in an antique store to look around and there was a small crate of records. One of them was a local compilation from Las Vegas, NV (2,800 miles away), which includes a couple HR/HM tracks such as one from XCURSION.
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Keir wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:36 pm This isn't very exciting I know, but last week I was on vacation in North Conway, NH. I stopped in an antique store to look around and there was a small crate of records. One of them was a local compilation from Las Vegas, NV (2,800 miles away), which includes a couple HR/HM tracks such as one from XCURSION.
Nice! Is this a different Xcursion than the "Ready to Roll" guys? Discogs seems to think so.
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

Khnud wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:50 pm
Keir wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:36 pm This isn't very exciting I know, but last week I was on vacation in North Conway, NH. I stopped in an antique store to look around and there was a small crate of records. One of them was a local compilation from Las Vegas, NV (2,800 miles away), which includes a couple HR/HM tracks such as one from XCURSION.
Nice! Is this a different Xcursion than the "Ready to Roll" guys? Discogs seems to think so.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Sweet find! U know what to do... 8)
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Khnud wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:50 pm Nice! Is this a different Xcursion than the "Ready to Roll" guys? Discogs seems to think so.
It's definitely the same band despite discogs thinking otherwise, although their contributions to Vols 1 & 2 of the FM 92 comps sound less like you'd hope & are more 70s influenced. Quite Triumph or April Wine sounding to my ears. Their song on Vol 3 is much more like it:
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
Keir

Post by Keir »

Yes, I actually acquired the first KOMP comp years ago but it's too wimpy to include in the compilopedia. However, volume 2 has at least one other track that makes it a good fit even if XCURSION doesn't quite cut it.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Keir wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:47 pm Yes, I actually acquired the first KOMP comp years ago but it's too wimpy to include in the compilopedia. However, volume 2 has at least one other track that makes it a good fit even if XCURSION doesn't quite cut it.
TBH I actually quite like the early XCursion tracks, but stylistially they won't be to everyone's tastes, particularly if they like the EP & LP & are hoping for more in the same vein. Only 'The Distant Skies' from Vol 3 is really in a similar mould.
It occurs to me that the complipedia could maybe use a 'buyer beware' section, pointing out those comps that look promising in terms of band names & song titles but fail to deliver even a single worthwhile track. Of course, no one would condemn you or DaN if you chose to purge those offending records from your collections before adding them to such a list. :lol:
Now i think about it, I may actually have made this suggestion to DaN already at some point in the dim & distant past as i've a strong feeling of deja vu now, but i don't recall what he thought about it unfortunately.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

bigfootkit wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:34 amIt occurs to me that the complipedia could maybe use a 'buyer beware' section, pointing out those comps that look promising in terms of band names & song titles but fail to deliver even a single worthwhile track. Of course, no one would condemn you or DaN if you chose to purge those offending records from your collections before adding them to such a list. :lol:
Now i think about it, I may actually have made this suggestion to DaN already at some point in the dim & distant past as i've a strong feeling of deja vu now, but i don't recall what he thought about it unfortunately.
Yeah I've considered the idea but in reality it would be too time-consuming to retain and update. The number of non-metal mixed comps is even MORE infinite than the Metal ones, so such a list would always be a very patchy affair..
In the case of album series, I do try to include some notes on the Metal-cred of other volumes in the info-field tho'
mordred

Post by mordred »

Nothing amazing about the find as such, but surely out of place. Went to a town square flea market once and there was this woman with like four crates of vinyl. I flipped through all of it and nearly all records were Swedish dansband or religious music… and the first Tyran Pace album. It was the only rock LP she had.
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

mordred wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:56 pm Nothing amazing about the find as such, but surely out of place. Went to a town square flea market once and there was this woman with like four crates of vinyl. I flipped through all of it and nearly all records were Swedish dansband or religious music… and the first Tyran Pace album. It was the only rock LP she had.
Nice! Could have been a lot worse!
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

DaN wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:47 pm
bigfootkit wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:34 amIt occurs to me that the complipedia could maybe use a 'buyer beware' section, pointing out those comps that look promising in terms of band names & song titles but fail to deliver even a single worthwhile track. Of course, no one would condemn you or DaN if you chose to purge those offending records from your collections before adding them to such a list. :lol:
Yeah I've considered the idea but in reality it would be too time-consuming to retain and update. The number of non-metal mixed comps is even MORE infinite than the Metal ones, so such a list would always be a very patchy affair..
In the case of album series, I do try to include some notes on the Metal-cred of other volumes in the info-field tho'
Yeah, i can see how adding such a section would just add yet more to your workload that you don't need. You need to take on an intern for grunt-work like this. :D