CULT OF THE UNDERDOG PODCAST : Episode 4 now available

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
bigfootkit

CULT OF THE UNDERDOG PODCAST : Episode 4 now available

Post by bigfootkit »

CULT OF THE UNDERDOG
Episode 4 : The Broken Promise (Apr 2022)

Just one day late, (or a mere 2 hours to be accurate), please enjoy another hour of vintage voltage compiled for your listening pleasure from (mostly) just under the radar.

Now ribbed, for her pleasure.
Join the cult.

If you missed any of the previous episodes you can catch up here:
https://www.mixcloud.com/bigfootkit/
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
Khnud

Re: CULT OF THE UNDERDOG PODCAST : Episode 4 now available

Post by Khnud »

Orang-Utan, Slayer, Salem and The Devil's Blood in the same episode! Where the hell is the "thumbs up" emoticon? :mrgreen:
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Yippie!!!!!

Another slab of pure rockist manifestation.

One listen and... besides 'Disorder' and its very clearly intended message, there are SALEM with 'The Keeper (Of The Keys)' part of 'Trilogy' and THE NEW ORDER with 'Rock'n'Roll Soldiers'. I am very satisfied with your obligations to cover the MC5/STOOGES stable and its ramifications, so I hope you will continue on this way.

Kit, big cheers! This will keep me busy for quite some time I guess.
I am ... the One you warned me of
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Noisenik wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:20 pm One listen and... besides 'Disorder' and its very clearly intended message, there are SALEM with 'The Keeper (Of The Keys)' part of 'Trilogy' and THE NEW ORDER with 'Rock'n'Roll Soldiers'. I am very satisfied with your obligations to cover the MC5/STOOGES stable and its ramifications, so I hope you will continue on this way.
TBH i'd forgotten that Slayer had reworked the lyrics so that it related to the LA riots of 91 or 92 until i'd finished putting it all together, so i'm pleased the intended message emerged regardless. This ep's mellow 'intermission' track has a similar sentiment, but more sombrely & subtlely put. And have no fear, i love the vintage Motor City style so i'll carry on waving the flag for underappreciated Detroit grit at every opportunity.
Khnud wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:13 pm Orang-Utan, Slayer, Salem and The Devil's Blood in the same episode! Where the hell is the "thumbs up" emoticon? :mrgreen:
I'll accept that invisible thumbs up gratefully. There's another song on there that i thought you'd know as it fits the bill for your ongoing review writing project.
As always, thanks for the encouragement & support fellas, it's much appreciated.
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

bigfootkit wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:23 am I'll accept that invisible thumbs up gratefully. There's another song on there that i thought you'd know as it fits the bill for your ongoing review writing project.
Hmm, I'll have to listen more carefully next time. Chances are this is a record I'm not yet aware of.
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Khnud wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:39 am
bigfootkit wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:23 am I'll accept that invisible thumbs up gratefully. There's another song on there that i thought you'd know as it fits the bill for your ongoing review writing project.
Hmm, I'll have to listen more carefully next time. Chances are this is a record I'm not yet aware of.
Possibly, but knowing your knowledge in that area it may be that you do know it but perhaps just don't feel it fits your personal criteria for the US 45s project.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

So it's been a couple of weeks, should i post the tracklist now or are there still some who want to continue trying to guess?
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

I gave it another go, but nah, all in vain. I guess you could post the tracklist.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Okay then, here you go...

01. Unknown - Screen Gems Theme (Fanfare Of Doom) (1968) (Screen Gems TV Ident)
02. Baltik - Lesley Briggs ('Cult Of The Underdog' Theme) (1973) (from the 'Baltik' LP)
03. The Louvin Brothers - Satan Is Real (1959) (from the 'Satan Is Real' LP)
04. Hookers - Ride The Dragon To The Crimson Light (1999) (from the 'Black Visions Of Crimson Wisdom' LP)
05. Freight - Love No More (1978) (from the 'What Kind (Of Love)' 7'')
06. White Summer - Laugh When I Die (1976) (from the 'White Summer' LP)
07. Gluecifer - Rock Throne (1997) (from the 'Respect The Rock' split Mini LP)
08. Masters Of Reality - The Blue Garden (1990) (from the 'Masters Of Reality' LP aka 'The Blue Garden')
09. The Pointer Sisters - Pinball Number Count (1976) (from the 'Sesame Street' TV series)
10. La Mosca - Free (1970) (from the 'NPK2' LP)
11. Orang-Utan - I Can See Inside Your Head (1971) (from the 'Orang-Utan' LP)
12. Slayer & Ice T - War (1993) (from the 'Judgment Night' OST LP)
13. John Kay - Bold Marauder (1972) (from the 'Forgotten Songs & Unsing Heroes' LP)
14. Pure Hell - Noise Addiction (1978) (from the 'Noise Addiction ' LP)
15. Jerry Goldsmith - Barnaby Jones Theme (1973) (from the 'Barnaby Jones' TV series)
16. Salem - The Keeper Of The Keys (Part 1) (1982) (from the 'In The Beginning...' anthology LP)
17. The New Order - Rock 'n' Roll Soldiers (1976) (from the 'The New Order' LP aka 'Decaration Of War')
18. Hoyt Curtin - Korg 70,000 BC Theme (1974) (from the 'Korg 70,000 BC' TV series)
19. The Devil's Blood - Voodoo Dust (2008) (from the 'Come, Reap' Mini LP).

Khnud, the song i was referring to earlier in the thread was track 05 Freight - Love No More (1978) (from the 'What Kind (Of Love)' 7''). The A side is 'the commercial one', though it's far from being a sell out, but the B-side is the one i favour. Great guitarwork, at least two capable & distinct vocalists & a really well arranged song. I think they were from Wisconsin, but beyond that i know nothing about them.

Last edited by bigfootkit on Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Shall we do it all over again in June?
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

bigfootkit wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:26 am Shall we do it all over again in June?
Absolutely, sir! If only you have enough time to do it all over again.

Regarding the episode 4, the absolute winners are The Louvin Brothers :lol:. A question: do you in fact own this album? I wouldn't be surprised if you do. I can't believe this was actually re-released on cd and even on 180 gram lp. I've read their story and comments on album on RYM. This has already made my day. :lol:
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

bigfootkit wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:21 am Khnud, the song i was referring to earlier in the thread was track 05 Freight - Love No More (1978) (from the 'What Kind (Of Love)' 7''). The A side is 'the commercial one', though it's far from being a sell out, but the B-side is the one i favour. Great guitarwork, at least two capable & distinct vocalists & a really well arranged song. I think they were from Wisconsin, but beyond that i know nothing about them.
Thank you! My main focus are 1979 and onwards, so that's probably why this one slipped through my net.
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Noisenik wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:02 am Regarding the episode 4, the absolute winners are The Louvin Brothers :lol:. A question: do you in fact own this album? I wouldn't be surprised if you do. I can't believe this was actually re-released on cd and even on 180 gram lp. I've read their story and comments on album on RYM. This has already made my day. :lol:
:D Their story is quite the tale isn't it? I first became aware of them via a comic strip biography of them which i read back in the 90s in some Fantagraphics anthology. Upon rereading it some years later i had a look for them online & 'Satan Is Real' was the 1st thing that popped up. Whilst i don't share their beliefs i have to give them a thumbs up for that song, it sticks to the brain & it stays there. And no, i don't own the record, nothing else on it comes close to the idiot genius of the title track.
Khnud wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:15 am
bigfootkit wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:21 am Khnud, the song i was referring to earlier in the thread was track 05 Freight - Love No More (1978) (from the 'What Kind (Of Love)' 7''). The A side is 'the commercial one', though it's far from being a sell out, but the B-side is the one i favour. Great guitarwork, at least two capable & distinct vocalists & a really well arranged song. I think they were from Wisconsin, but beyond that i know nothing about them.
Thank you! My main focus are 1979 and onwards, so that's probably why this one slipped through my net.
No worries. After all the previously unknown (to me) US 45s you've recently brought to my attention i'm glad to be able to return the favour.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

After checking, it transpires that the Louvin Brothers strip i referred to was actually from an issue of Mark Dancey's seminal Motorbooty 'zine. Dancey was a member of Detroit band Big Chief (and The Necros?), but also did art for & designed record covers for many a band including his own. That weird swirly circle thing on the front of Soundgaden's Badmotorfinger? That was him. Thor's 'Thor Against the World' cover? That was Dancey too. And it was he who did the Louvins strip, linked below if you're interested, courtesy of The Comics Journal:

https://the-comics-journal.sfo3.digital ... ouvin1.jpg.

https://the-comics-journal.sfo3.digital ... ouvin2.jpg

https://the-comics-journal.sfo3.digital ... ouvin3.jpg

https://the-comics-journal.sfo3.digital ... ouvin4.jpg
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

bigfootkit wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:49 am After checking, it transpires that the Louvin Brothers strip i referred to was actually from an issue of Mark Dancey's seminal Motorbooty 'zine. Dancey was a member of Detroit band Big Chief (and The Necros?), but also did art for & designed record covers for many a band including his own. That weird swirly circle thing on the front of Soundgaden's Badmotorfinger? That was him. Thor's 'Thor Against the World' cover? That was Dancey too. And it was he who did the Louvins strip, linked below if you're interested, courtesy of The Comics Journal:

https://the-comics-journal.sfo3.digital ... ouvin1.jpg.

https://the-comics-journal.sfo3.digital ... ouvin2.jpg

https://the-comics-journal.sfo3.digital ... ouvin3.jpg

https://the-comics-journal.sfo3.digital ... ouvin4.jpg
Cheers for sharing these. Info in any form is always welcome. The text is the same as on RYM, but Dancey has portrayed Ira's character really well. One could feel mania oozing out.

Upon hearing it first time, I was certain it's a leftover prank from some less sober and sane BIGFOOT sessions, but then I forget regularly that there's nothing States couldn't offer.
Last edited by Noisenik on Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.