CULT OF THE UNDERDOG PODCAST : Episode 4 now available

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
bigfootkit

Re: CULT OF THE UNDERDOG PODCAST : Episode 4 now available

Post by bigfootkit »

Noisenik wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:20 pm Dancey has portrayed Ira's character really well. One could feel mania oozing out.

Upon hearing it first time, I was certain it's a leftover prank from some less sober and sane BIGFOOT sessions, bu then I forget regularly that there's nothing States couldn't offer.
Agreed, Dancey's art style really brought the story alive, particularly as you said regarding Ira's 'eccentricities'. Glad you seemed to enjoy it.
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Graham, those excerpts, namely "... and my ears bleed when I listen to rock'n'roll..." and "... we sacrifice a stranger to our pagan gods... ", aren't credited. Whose voices are they? The former sounds like some old, world-weary composer from some 70's docu, while the second sounds familiar...

Same for "new people ... derelicts and drunks ...". That one is 100% english.
I am ... the One you warned me of
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Noisenik wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:18 pm Graham, those excerpts, namely "... and my ears bleed when I listen to rock'n'roll..." and "... we sacrifice a stranger to our pagan gods... ", aren't credited. Whose voices are they? The former sounds like some old, world-weary composer from some 70's docu, while the second sounds familiar...
Same for "new people ... derelicts and drunks ...". That one is 100% english.
I didn't include any attributions for the samples coz i genuinely didn't think anyone would be interested in their origins. I don't tend to tag the samples very forensically but on this occasion i do remember the origins of the 3 examples you singled out:
"... and my ears bleed when I listen to rock'n'roll..." was from a terrible early 70s film called 'The Massage Parlor Murders'.
"... we sacrifice a stranger to our pagan gods... " was from an episode of Canadian sitcom 'Corner Gas'.
"new people ... derelicts and drunks ...". was from an episode of 70s UK TV police drama 'Softly Softly : Task Force', but far from being 100% English the actor was actually 100% Welsh. (It's a minor distinction, but not to the Welsh.) :)
BTW, he actually says 'the beautiful people'.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

bigfootkit wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:46 am "new people ... derelicts and drunks ...". was from an episode of 70s UK TV police drama 'Softly Softly : Task Force', but far from being 100% English the actor was actually 100% Welsh. (It's a minor distinction, but not to the Welsh.) :)
BTW, he actually says 'the beautiful people'.
:oops: I stand corrected, sir. And apologies to all Welsh members/readers here. I actually meant to write "British", but it stayed "English" somehow.

Thank you for these additional info.

Also, there is a snippet included, which sounds like a dialogue between several angered people with Down syndrome. Where's that one from?
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Noisenik wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:40 am Also, there is a snippet included, which sounds like a dialogue between several angered people with Down syndrome. Where's that one from?
That really made me laugh. I'm guessing you're referring to the 'Fuck her, she's a community broad now, she's out in the street', dialogue? That was from a 70s documentary about American soldiers trying to reintegrate into society after serving in Vietnam. Sorry, but the title eludes me. That particular part was an 'encounter group' in New York trying to get one of the guys to face up to the fact that his wife wasn't coming back to him. Just old-skool New Yorkers. :lol:
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

bigfootkit wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:31 am
Noisenik wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:40 am Also, there is a snippet included, which sounds like a dialogue between several angered people with Down syndrome. Where's that one from?
That really made me laugh. I'm guessing you're referring to the 'Fuck her, she's a community broad now, she's out in the street', dialogue? That was from a 70s documentary about American soldiers trying to reintegrate into society after serving in Vietnam. Sorry, but the title eludes me. That particular part was an 'encounter group' in New York trying to get one of the guys to face up to the fact that his wife wasn't coming back to him. Just old-skool New Yorkers. :lol:
That one exactly. And if what you say is true, then this is horrifying. At best they sound like they were toothless which in connection with poor healthcare and all syndromes they have developed in 'Nam, wouldn't be surprising. But this all sounds not only like degeneration but like devolution. And very Metal, huh?
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Noisenik wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:22 pm That one exactly. And if what you say is true, then this is horrifying. At best they sound like they were toothless which in connection with poor healthcare and all syndromes they have developed in 'Nam, wouldn't be surprising. But this all sounds not only like degeneration but like devolution. And very Metal, huh?
As you said, a lot of those guys came back very damaged by their experiences. Many of those featured in the documentary returned from Vietnam addicted to heroin which might explain the way they sounded. It was quite a sobering & moving documentary but that didn't prevent me being amused by the way that one guy summed up the poor cuckold's miserable situation by saying his wife was 'a community broad now'. The blackest shade of black humour without a doubt, but i thought it would be very apt as a segue into Freight's 'Love No More'. Inspiration strikes in odd places sometimes, so i had to grab the muse when she appeared.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

bigfootkit wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:30 am
Noisenik wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:22 pm That one exactly. And if what you say is true, then this is horrifying. At best they sound like they were toothless which in connection with poor healthcare and all syndromes they have developed in 'Nam, wouldn't be surprising. But this all sounds not only like degeneration but like devolution. And very Metal, huh?
As you said, a lot of those guys came back very damaged by their experiences. Many of those featured in the documentary returned from Vietnam addicted to heroin which might explain the way they sounded. It was quite a sobering & moving documentary but that didn't prevent me being amused by the way that one guy summed up the poor cuckold's miserable situation by saying his wife was 'a community broad now'. The blackest shade of black humour without a doubt, but i thought it would be very apt as a segue into Freight's 'Love No More'. Inspiration strikes in odd places sometimes, so i had to grab the muse when she appeared.
No apologies needed. This excerpt wouldn't be out of place on some CEPHALIC CARNAGE outing. It is stuff like that that will eventually make CotU mixtapes real cult. I wonder what efforts would be needed to put them on proper "noiseholders"?
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Noisenik wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:55 am No apologies needed. This excerpt wouldn't be out of place on some CEPHALIC CARNAGE outing. It is stuff like that that will eventually make CotU mixtapes real cult. I wonder what efforts would be needed to put them on proper "noiseholders"?

Oh trust me, i'm completely unrepentant. :lol:
Jarringly juxtaposing some of this stuff & throwing the context out of the window is a big part of what makes creating these so enjoyable for me.
I'm not sure what you meant when you said "I wonder what efforts would be needed to put them on proper "noiseholders"?", could you clarify?
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

bigfootkit wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:42 am
Noisenik wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:55 amNo apologies needed. This excerpt wouldn't be out of place on some CEPHALIC CARNAGE outing. It is stuff like that that will eventually make CotU mixtapes real cult. I wonder what efforts would be needed to put them on proper "noiseholders"?
Oh trust me, i'm completely unrepentant. :lol:
Jarringly juxtaposing some of this stuff & throwing the context out of the window is a big part of what makes creating these so enjoyable for me.
I'm not sure what you meant when you said "I wonder what efforts would be needed to put them on proper "noiseholders"?", could you clarify?
Using german notion "tonträger" as a starting point and replacing tone with noise, et voila: cds, vinyls, tapes, etc.

And I have to emphasize that I don't hear much jarring in your mixtapes. For example, while listening to Vol.1, it sounds like it was with me for ages.

While at this I have to ask another question: was title for vol. 4 chosen specifically based on listening experiences? Did bands broke something they promised earlier on?
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Noisenik wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 8:43 pm And I have to emphasize that I don't hear much jarring in your mixtapes. For example, while listening to Vol.1, it sounds like it was with me for ages.
While at this I have to ask another question: was title for vol. 4 chosen specifically based on listening experiences? Did bands broke something they promised earlier on?
Maybe the 'jarring' notion is only mine because i know the original contexts of the samples i use, and sometimes, like the vietnam vets example, they come from quite serious places but i often use them for (hopefully) humorous purposes.
I used that title because i realised i wasn't going to have the episode ready to upload on time after promising it for April 1st. In the end i was only a few hours behind schedule, so i nearly made a mockery of my own self mockery. :lol: