Heavy Metal from Argentina

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
DaN
Administructor

Heavy Metal from Argentina

Post by DaN »

Plenty of Argentinian Heavy Metal reviews planned and no thread on the subject to be found, so here we go. For starters:

Thoughts? Who else like? If not heard - my vinyl rip:
Exclusive content for logged in users.
Also:
Is it just my imagination or doesn't plenty of old Argentinian HM vinyl seem a bit overpriced on discogs? There's usually lots of copies offered, but for prices much higher than the previous top sells or on popsike. Who buys these? Is the domestic market that huge?
I know this is a phenomenon not just isolated to Argentina, but almost any release I come across for sale from this particular country feel a bit ott pricewise...
Cochino

Re: Heavy Metal from Argentina

Post by Cochino »

I'm not a collector so I don't know much about it but I've noticed a tendency to overprice anything of our own stuff. If you go to any sort of record market, all vinyl there is sold as if it were a collection piece regardless of how common it might be so anything slightly rare just shoots off. Also, another thing that I've noticed is that the actual condition of the vinyl doesn't affect the pricing as much as it should. If it's all beat up, they're still gonna try to charge you a collector's price.

Oh, and another detail: I'm not aware that there's all that high demand on the local market, at least not enough to justify the prices. Dealers usually rather sit on an overpriced copy for ages than sell it for cheap. It might have to do with a sense of pride and the ultimate goal of never being the "sucker" to the point of getting bit in the ass for it 'cause nobody's gonna pay for that anyway.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Cochino wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:17 pm I'm not a collector so I don't know much about it but I've noticed a tendency to overprice anything of our own stuff. If you go to any sort of record market, all vinyl there is sold as if it were a collection piece regardless of how common it might be so anything slightly rare just shoots off. Also, another thing that I've noticed is that the actual condition of the vinyl doesn't affect the pricing as much as it should. If it's all beat up, they're still gonna try to charge you a collector's price.

Oh, and another detail: I'm not aware that there's all that high demand on the local market, at least not enough to justify the prices. Dealers usually rather sit on an overpriced copy for ages than sell it for cheap. It might have to do with a sense of pride and the ultimate goal of never being the "sucker" to the point of getting bit in the ass for it 'cause nobody's gonna pay for that anyway.
This situation is more or less what I expected. I'm just hoping & praying that some day, some dealer will realize that there's a way to really make some money out of these records: BY ACTUALLY SELLING THEM.

Edit: your thoughts on Hellion btw?
mordred

Post by mordred »

There are quite a few Argentinian records I need (Hellion is one of them), but like you say, they’re always overpriced.
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

DaN wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:57 pmThis situation is more or less what I expected. I'm just hoping & praying that some day, some dealer will realize that there's a way to really make some money out of these records: BY ACTUALLY SELLING THEM.

Edit: your thoughts on Hellion btw?
I've only heard it a couple of times in my life, to be honest. I'm downloading your rip right now 'cause your review makes it sound better than I remember it. I've never been huge on the local scene 'cause the overall Argie sound is not really my kinda thing (specially on the vocal aspect) but now that I'm older I might be able to appreciate them from a different perspective. I've always felt we were always quite lacking when compared to the rest of the Latin American scenes (specially since I'm more of an Extreme Metal guy) but over the years I've met a lot of people that would underappreciate their own scenes while the rest of the world can't get enough of it so maybe I'm just one of those guys.
ujr_metal

Post by ujr_metal »

Cochino wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:31 pm
DaN wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:57 pmThis situation is more or less what I expected. I'm just hoping & praying that some day, some dealer will realize that there's a way to really make some money out of these records: BY ACTUALLY SELLING THEM.

I've never been huge on the local scene 'cause the overall Argie sound is not really my kinda thing (specially on the vocal aspect) but now that I'm older I might be able to appreciate them from a different perspective. I've always felt we were always quite lacking when compared to the rest of the Latin American scenes (specially since I'm more of an Extreme Metal guy) but over the years I've met a lot of people that would underappreciate their own scenes while the rest of the world can't get enough of it so maybe I'm just one of those guys.
I understand you, as a brazilian, I don't like most of the brazilian scene, since I don't like the extreme stuff! But I don't underappreciate them, in fact I have a big respect for those bands and the importance they had in the 80s! Vulcano, Mystifier, Holocausto, etc..always nice to see them live!
On the other hand I like Argentina bands more! V8, Bloke, Retrosatan, El Dragon, Boxer, Tonelada, all great bands in my opinion!

As for Helion, listened once and remember I didn't liked! Will listen it again!
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

ujr_metal wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:29 amI understand you, as a brazilian, I don't like most of the brazilian scene, since I don't like the extreme stuff! But I don't underappreciate them, in fact I have a big respect for those bands and the importance they had in the 80s! Vulcano, Mystifier, Holocausto, etc..always nice to see them live!
On the other hand I like Argentina bands more! V8, Bloke, Retrosatan, El Dragon, Boxer, Tonelada, all great bands in my opinion!

As for Helion, listened once and remember I didn't liked! Will listen it again!
Well, from all those I only actually like V8 :lol:
"Grass is always greener...", as they say.

Update on Hellion: couldn't get past the vocals on the second track.
Zombie Dance

Post by Zombie Dance »

Everything is out of price these days, record collecting is in a disastrous state. So it's hard to say if it's argentinian records that are overpriced in particular... I remember though years ago when I discovered Retrosatan I wanted to hear more from that scene but indeed could never really afford it.
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

Argentinan Metal recörds always has been quite pricy. There was a time like 15 years ago (during their financial crisis) when you could obtain them from Ebay for like $50 for each and I bought a bunch back in the day. Since Ebay added the buy-now option for free and everyone it's over. Simply every single item is overpriced. Speaks for itself that almost all of the following argentinan recörds I bought I got from german or US sellers. I'm pretty happy to find one at $70-80 nowadays. Either at Discogs now some guys do have prices in mind (in general) where I only can ask myself if they are still sane. :roll: :wink:
It's not easy to be the Antichrist ...
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

Just recently I scored a $ 55 Pappo Y Hoy No Es Hoy – Plan Diabólico LP from the US. I was a bit worried since I'm not a Riff fan at all and the cover and band name didn't promise much powerful stuff, but the album sounds pretty good. Despite some Hard Rock influences here and there, I've been positively surprised.
It's not easy to be the Antichrist ...
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Recently I was finally able to ad this wantlist-topper to the collection after many years of searching for a remotely affordable copy. Now added to the Compilopedia:

V/A - Metal Argentino DLP 1991

Yes, of course daddy ripped:
Exclusive content for logged in users.
I also noticed that the Argentinian "Megaton Records" fit the profile for an inclusion in the labels-section, so:

Cochino

Post by Cochino »

It should also be noted that this compilation is remarkable for including bands from many different regions of the country rather than the Buenos Aires centric approach 99% of the cultural scene tends to have here (and that would also explain why so many of these bands never got to release anything else). I never had the chance to listen to it, so thanks for the link.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Cochino wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:04 am It should also be noted that this compilation is remarkable for including bands from many different regions of the country rather than the Buenos Aires centric approach 99% of the cultural scene tends to have here (and that would also explain why so many of these bands never got to release anything else). I never had the chance to listen to it, so thanks for the link.
Yeah, Rainer mentions this in his writings at Metaleros, which was one of many reasons that I've been so obsessed w/ finding it. I was actually a bit surprised by the quality level of many of the bands - I guess I was expecting something even more primitive, along the lines of the Sao Power or Thrash comps...
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Just a trivia-question for those in-the-know:

Is there ANY exclusive material on this V8-comp:
https://www.discogs.com/release/9791365-V8-No-Se-Rindan

...or is the material taken exclusively from the 3 first albums?
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

DaN wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 5:57 pm Just a trivia-question for those in-the-know:

Is there ANY exclusive material on this V8-comp:
https://www.discogs.com/release/9791365-V8-No-Se-Rindan

...or is the material taken exclusively from the 3 first albums?
Let me check & I'll report back.
Last edited by doomedplanet on Fri May 06, 2022 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.