Heavy Metal from Finland [merged]

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
DaN
Administructor

Heavy Metal from Finland [merged]

Post by DaN »

Merged some topics to 1 Finnish Steel thread /aDmiN

As far as rarity and bloody-impossible-to-findness goes, Finland might very well have the upper hand on Sweden in the 7"-field. I'd REALLY like for our resident collector maniacs to do their best to locate and upload stuff like THE ARSON, CROM, BLACK ANGEL, NORTHEN LIGHTS etc. I'll do me best sir! and start off with my 2 top fave Finn-Metal singles, MASTERWORK and HELLION NOISE. Enjoy:
(Re-up 2022)
https://www.mediafire.com/file/e0bf5cwj ... 2.rar/file

Doesn't the HN b-side sound a lot like a long-lost BROCAS HELM-song? And did you get my PAGAN ALTAR-reference on that MASTERWORK b-side? Just curious..
The Erlking

Re: Rare Finnish singles

Post by The Erlking »

DaN wrote:NORTHEN LIGHTS
I've been trying to find this one too (without any luck unfortunately :cry:) There seems to be some interesting singles made in here but they are pretty rare too. Ever since I heard that single by STUD the idea of mapping "the lost and obscure history of finnish 80s heavy metal" by discovering other singles have grown on me. This is btw exactly the kind of stuff we are discussing in "Do we sometimes fall in love with the historical value?" thread! :P

Oh and thanks for the upload. I haven't heard these singles but they look like very interesting ones. Especially MASTERWORK. I'm moving to anther place right now and it can take few days 'til I get internet working again but I'll download the package then and give feedback!
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

I had Hellion Noise on cassette, very maidenesque stuff, i love it!

Need to check out Masterwork though...

Thanks for both!

Edit: Those Masterwork kids surely show some riffing skills, especially on b-side, if the singer was more passionate, it would be even better.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

Thanx for the HELLION NOISE single Dan,Finnish HM always interests me.

The vocals are raw(i prefer it) and the music very catchy.Classy stuff.
nabel

Post by nabel »

Yeah, this Hellion Noise is very good stuff. Too bad these seven inchers are very very hard to find here in Finland. Somekind heavy metal hunting voodoo rituals are needed to find these...
tomas

Post by tomas »

I'm listening to it right now.
Best songs: HN 'Magic moment' and MW 'Penitential ...'
Too bad MW has a lame drum sound.
lunaboy

Post by lunaboy »

HELLION NOISE-excellent band!!! Thanks a lot for share DaN.
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

Thanks a lot or both singles, the HELLION NOISE B side slays. MASTERWORK isn't bad too, but it would have been better with good vocals.
muskeg

Post by muskeg »

really loving both of these, thanks
voidghast

Post by voidghast »

I had been waiting to hear Masterwork since reading your review in September of last year. Now I have heard it and it really rules a lot! Hellion Noise is killer as well.
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

Finally got internet working today and I've been listening to these two singles few times now.

Hellion Noise is fucking great. B-side is amazing indeed (very cool guitar solo!) but damn if the riffing on A-side ain't classy! Finnish accent was a bit funny at first but it's charming and does not disturb me anymore. The singer some how reminds me of Ola Ohlsson too! Not a bad thing.

Masterwork is a neat little band as well. It will take some more listenings for me to truly appreciate their metal though. The vocals are kind of good but kind of bad also. I think I'll eventually get used to them. Love the guitars on Penitential Sermon but A-side is good too.

Just wanted to thank DaN for uploading these singles. I'm really enjoying both of them and I'm always curious about GOOD finnish heavy metal. BTW did these bands release demo tapes etc.?
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

On 1st impression these are both pretty cool sounding! Thanks for sharing them Dan!
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
rumblefist

Post by rumblefist »

Please re-up.
Thanks in advance !
Sgt. Kuntz

Post by Sgt. Kuntz »

Yes, please :)

The only Finnish singles i've seen on ebay.de came from IRONCROSS and that's about it, i don't have any.
Where were you in '79 when the dam began to burst

http://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/ptrz80
Warepire

Post by Warepire »

I'll third this re-up request.

I've been wanting to hear these bands for a while.