CULT OF THE UNDERDOG PODCAST : Episode 3 now available

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
bigfootkit

CULT OF THE UNDERDOG PODCAST : Episode 3 now available

Post by bigfootkit »

CULT OF THE UNDERDOG
Episode 3 : Legion Of The Lost (Feb 2022)

Oh, that's an interesting new development. Instead showing the link, it's automatically embedded the player. :idea:
If you'd rather hear it on the site, you can find this episode & the earlier ones, here:
https://www.mixcloud.com/bigfootkit/

Take as prescribed by your Rock 'n' Roll doctor.
For aural application only.
If swallowed, induce vomiting & seek medical attention.
Caution: May cause feelings of euphoria in some patients. Other side effects may include mood swings & in some rare cases, anal leakage.
Note for healthcare professionals: Only prescribe this compound to patients with a pre-existing sense of humour.
Do not operate heavy machinery whilst using this product.
Join the cult.
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
Noisenik

Re: CULT OF THE UNDERDOG PODCAST : Episode 3 now available

Post by Noisenik »

Like it's Christmas time again. Thank you very much! Also big thanks for being on schedule. ;-)

Listening to it atm, right at another great classic rock tune. Fantastic!

Edit: Further along ... EXPLOITED's Beat The Bastards?
I am ... the One you warned me of
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Noisenik wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:02 am Like it's Christmas time again. Thank you very much! Also big thanks for being on schedule. ;-)

Listening to it atm, right at another great classic rock tune. Fantastic!

Edit: Further along ... EXPLOITED's Beat The Bastards?
Beat 'em Now! :wink:
Thanks for the encouragement Noisenik, glad you seem to be enjoying ep 3.
Quite satisfied with how this one turned out, i gave myself plenty of time to experiment with the running order & the pacing and i think the episode flows far better as a result. There are still some jarring moments, but now they're deliberate. :D
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Two listens today, and although I did my best to glean the choruses out, most were not uncovered. But I found two: ZAHARAS' Sitting At The Round Table and amazingly, GRACE SLICK's Shot In The Dark. Excellent hard rock/ powerpop. Is that Grace at her hardest? Add to that EXPLOITED, I bettered my score for 300 %. LOL
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Noisenik wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:48 pm Two listens today, and although I did my best to glean the choruses out, most were not uncovered. But I found two: ZAHARAS' Sitting At The Round Table and amazingly, GRACE SLICK's Shot In The Dark. Excellent hard rock/ powerpop. Is that Grace at her hardest? Add to that EXPLOITED, I bettered my score for 300 %. LOL
:lol:
Well done! Good detective work.
Her 'Welcome To The Wrecking Ball' LP which had 'Shot In The Dark' on it, is (as far as i'm aware) the hardest stuff Grace ever did, which is a pity as she had such a great voice for Hard Rock. The album's not wall-to-wall killers, but there are two other songs (the title track & 'Lines') that are the equal of 'Shot' in terms of ferocity & combining Hard Rock & New Wave.
There's also a fine non-lame power-ballad called 'No More Heroes' on there too. But while the rest of the LP is more AOR leaning, even that material is well done to my ears.
The inner gatefold of the LP was gloriously OTT, with Grace pictured above the wreckage of a house swinging on a wrecking ball (decades before Miley Cyrus), looking like a maniac whilst brandishing a lit bundle of dynamite. :lol:
wicked keeper

Post by wicked keeper »

bigfootkit wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:28 am
Noisenik wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:48 pm Two listens today, and although I did my best to glean the choruses out, most were not uncovered. But I found two: ZAHARAS' Sitting At The Round Table and amazingly, GRACE SLICK's Shot In The Dark. Excellent hard rock/ powerpop. Is that Grace at her hardest? Add to that EXPLOITED, I bettered my score for 300 %. LOL
:lol:

Her 'Welcome To The Wrecking Ball' LP which had 'Shot In The Dark' on it, is (as far as i'm aware) the hardest stuff Grace ever did, which is a pity as she had such a great voice for Hard Rock.
Feel the same way about Linda Ronstadt - a voice made for hard rock belters wasted on soft rock lullabies... :evil:
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

The Swedish song is by DUNDER - "Varje Låt Har Sin Egen Tid".
That song which sounds a bit like Alice In Chains is actually by MONTE PITTMAN - "A Dark Horse". Pretty heavy stuff coming from Madonna's guitarist.

Other that that, I'm clueless.
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Khnud wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:31 pm The Swedish song is by DUNDER - "Varje Låt Har Sin Egen Tid".
That song which sounds a bit like Alice In Chains is actually by MONTE PITTMAN - "A Dark Horse". Pretty heavy stuff coming from Madonna's guitarist.

I knew somone here would know that Dunder song, & yup that's Monte alright. I never thought of AIC as a comparison, but now you say it the harmony vox on the chorus do lean in that direction a little. Previously that part of the song always made me think of Def Amercan era Trouble. Certainly not much of a Madonna influence there. :lol:
I can only assume Monte was behind her playing Sepultura's 'Territory' onstage in Brazil some years back.
wicked keeper wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:23 pm Feel the same way about Linda Ronstadt - a voice made for hard rock belters wasted on soft rock lullabies... :evil:
Ahh, the divine Ms. Rondstadt. She was quite the fox back in the day. I like her version of 'You're No Good' but it would have been interesting to hear her let loose on the souped-up Van Halen arrangement of the song.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Khnud wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:31 pm The Swedish song is by DUNDER - "Varje Låt Har Sin Egen Tid".

DUNDER are fantastisk, at least on this track.

MONTE PITTMAN, I think, I have heard back in 2014/15, but hearing it in podcast, it didn't ring a bell. At all. Which means there was no etching into gray matter. Any easy-to-use mnemotechnics for aged Metalheads out there?
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Noisenik wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:30 am DUNDER are fantastisk, at least on this track.
It's easily the best song on their lone album.
You fellas about ready for this episode's tracklist or should i hold off a little longer?
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

bigfootkit wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:33 pm
Noisenik wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:30 am DUNDER are fantastisk, at least on this track.
You fellas about ready for this episode's tracklist or should i hold off a little longer?
Well, would love to know, who is behind Ta-ta-ta-ta-Talking Out Of School chorus (or sth like that) and especially the track nr.2 that could easily be VOIVOD, but are not. DIE KREUZEN?

Oh, and almost forgot to mention: I like the BBC intro, could picture mself a Capitol and superimposed caption "THAMES". And MM outro, of course.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Noisenik wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:42 pm
bigfootkit wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:33 pm
Well, would love to know, who is behind Ta-ta-ta-ta-Talking Out Of School chorus (or sth like that) and especially the track nr.2 that could easily be VOIVOD, but are not. DIE KREUZEN?

Oh, and almost forgot to mention: I like the BBC intro, could picture mself a Capitol and superimposed caption "THAMES". And MM outro, of course.
No problem.
'Talking Out Of School' is by legendary former MC5 guitarist Wayne Kramer & is from his 2001 'Adult World' solo album. He's backed on this particular track by godlike Swedish rock 'n' rollas The Hellacopters.
And the track 'that could easily be VOIVOD, but are not' is 'Secret Ingredient' by Drunk Horse from their 2001 'Tanning Salon/Biblical Proportions' album. The Oakland four piece always got lumped in with the Stoner Rock scene, probably due to being on the Mans Ruin label then Small Stone Records, but they had far more to offer than reheated Sabbath riffs. Their 1st two albums are brilliant & the final 2 are almost as good, but they'd toned down some of their more unusual aspects by that time. There was a posthumous live album too called 'Live In Utah' which is raw but rawkin'.
I'll post the full episode tracklist next week unless anyone wants to continue playing name that tune.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

bigfootkit wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:06 pm'Talking Out Of School' is by legendary former MC5 guitarist Wayne Kramer & is from his 2001 'Adult World' solo album. He's backed on this particular track by godlike Swedish rock 'n' rollas The Hellacopters.
And the track 'that could easily be VOIVOD, but are not' is 'Secret Ingredient' by Drunk Horse from their 2001 'Tanning Salon/Biblical Proportions' album. The Oakland four piece always got lumped in with the Stoner Rock scene, probably due to being on the Mans Ruin label then Small Stone Records, but they had far more to offer than reheated Sabbath riffs. Their 1st two albums are brilliant & the final 2 are almost as good, but they'd toned down some of their more unusual aspects by that time. There was a posthumous live album too called 'Live In Utah' which is raw but rawkin'.
I'll post the full episode tracklist next week unless anyone wants to continue playing name that tune.
Wayne Kramer? Drunk Horse?

About Kramer's song, I was sure it's sth from mid-70's. About DH, I was sure it was late 80's/early 90's post-hardcore, some missing SACCHARINE TRUST material, or sth. WTF. Can't wait for the rest of the titles, including the movie/series themes.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Noisenik wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:23 pm Wayne Kramer? Drunk Horse?
About Kramer's song, I was sure it's sth from mid-70's. About DH, I was sure it was late 80's/early 90's post-hardcore, some missing SACCHARINE TRUST material, or sth. WTF. Can't wait for the rest of the titles, including the movie/series themes.
That's one of the interesting things i've noticed about the streaming format; without the artist name/songtitles or any context it's often quite hard to pin down the music to specific genres or eras. Stripped of all the identifiers we're used to in the digital era ultimately the songs just appeal to you or not.
I'm someone who does a lot of reading & researching to find the music i enjoy & that knowledge often enhances the listening experience for me, so it's quite odd that i've now found that as a listener the lack of that usual background detail can be quite liberating. It almost allows you to experience music the way you did when you were young & just getting into music in the first place with no real context or prejudice.
Is this ironic? Thanks to Alanis Morrisette i'm no longer sure i really understand what that word means. :D
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

As promised, here finally is the complete tracklist for Episode 3 : Legion Of The Lost

01. Johnny Hawksworth - Salute To Thames (1968) (Thames TV Ident)
02. Baltik - Lesley Briggs ('Cult Of The Underdog' Theme) (1973) (from the 'Baltik' LP)
03. Jakkpot - 3,2,1, Go! (1999) (from the 'Lie! Cheat! 'n' Steal!' LP)
04. Drunk Horse - Secret Ingredient (2001) (from the 'Tanning Salon/Biblical Proportions' LP)
05. Nitzinger - Hero Of The War (1972) (from the 'Nitzinger' LP)
06. David Shire - Pendulum (1972) (from the 'The Sixth Sense' TV series OST)
07. Wayne Kramer & The Hellacopters - Talkin' Outta School (2002) (from the 'Adult World' LP)
08. Dunder - Varje Låt Har Sin Egen Tid (1978) (from the 'Dunder' LP)
09. Grace Slick - Shot In The Dark (1981) (from the 'Welcome To The Wrecking Ball!' LP)
10. The Exploited - Beat The Bastards (1996) (from the 'Beat The Bastards' LP)
11. Frank Zappa - Sleep Dirt (1979) (from the 'Sleep Dirt' LP)
12. Monte Pittman - A Dark Horse (2014) (from the 'The Power Of Three' LP)
13. Zaharas - Sittin' At The Round Table (1978) (from the 'Livin' Ain't Easy' LP)
14. Morton Stevens - Police Woman Theme (1973) (from the 'Police Woman' TV series OST)
15. Sister Double Happiness - Whipping Song (1993) (from the 'Uncut' LP)
16. Jungle - Slave Ship (1969) (from the 'Jungle' LP)
17. Defiant - Can't Give It Up (1985) (from the 'Can't Give It Up' Mini LP)
18. Jackpot - Habits (1981) (from the 'Full House' LP)
19. Simon Stokes & The Black Whip Thrill Band - The Wolf Pack Rides The Night (1973) (from the 'The Incredible Simon Stokes & The Black Whip Thrill Band' LP)
20. Peter J. Elliott - Bicycle Orgasm (1971) (from the '1000 Convicts & A Woman OST')
21. Charles Tobias, Murray Mencher & Eddie Cantor - Merrily We Roll Along (Merrie Melodies Theme) (1937) (from the 'Merrie Melodies' cartoon series OST)