CULT OF THE UNDERDOG Podcast : 2 New Episodes!

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
bigfootkit

Re: CULT OF THE UNDERDOG Podcast : 2 New Episodes!

Post by bigfootkit »

Khnud wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:21 pm
Noisenik wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:47 am
Khnud wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:52 pm Ahem, I do admit to cheating quite a bit. :oops:
Cheating? Only BITCH and LARRY WALLIS were mentioned by another MxC user, so no need to be too modest. You seem to have pretty good memory, as well.
Actually, I didn't know they were mentioned at MxC. In fact, most of the songs on these (excellent, I might add!) comps are completely unknown to me. It's just that I'm in the information business professionally, and pride myself with being able to find out just about anything given just a few pieces of information. 8)
That's not 'cheating' as i'd define it, that's 'sleuthing' & takes 'a specific set of skills' as Liam Neeson might put it. :lol:
I initially thought you meant you'd run the songs through song-identifying software or an app that does the same job, which would have seen you sent to 'the naughty step' without any supper.
Nenad, the song 'Degenerated' was a Reagan Youth song as Khnud correctly identified, but the podcast version was indeed by D Generation from their self-titled debut album. From what i recall it was the best thing on the record by a country mile.
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

bigfootkit wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:56 am I initially thought you meant you'd run the songs through song-identifying software or an app that does the same job, which would have seen you sent to 'the naughty step' without any supper.
Haha, no apps involved. I just listen closely to the lyrics and try to figure out the most likely song title with the help of Discogs, Youtube and Google. That's why I'm completely lost on the instrumentals. :-)
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Khnud wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:39 pm
bigfootkit wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:56 am I initially thought you meant you'd run the songs through song-identifying software or an app that does the same job, which would have seen you sent to 'the naughty step' without any supper.
Haha, no apps involved. I just listen closely to the lyrics and try to figure out the most likely song title with the help of Discogs, Youtube and Google. That's why I'm completely lost on the instrumentals. :-)
Now i know instrumentals are your kryptonite you've given me an idea for a lyric-less future episode. :lol:
Did you just know Resistencia or did you track that down via the Spanish lyrics? If so you have a great ear.
Kraignoss666

Post by Kraignoss666 »

I’m on the « nothing can top the original Degenrated from Reagan Youth » category, I didn’t even know that this song was covered several times, which is what degenaration is all about…
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Kraignoss666 wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:47 am I’m on the « nothing can top the original Degenrated from Reagan Youth » category, I didn’t even know that this song was covered several times, which is what degenaration is all about…
It tends to be that whatever version of a song you hear 1st is the one which remains no.1 in your affections, but whoever plays this particular song it's a killer.
Kraignoss666

Post by Kraignoss666 »

Yep, there is indeed an emotional factor… But you’re right, a killer tune is a killer tune, and this one fits perfectly this category.
Kraignoss666

Post by Kraignoss666 »

By the way, I picked a few things from the descriptions, but still need to listen to both episodes from start to finish. Thanx for sharing!!!
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

bigfootkit wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:16 am Did you just know Resistencia or did you track that down via the Spanish lyrics? If so you have a great ear.
Resistencia was one of the songs I knew immediately, simply because ”Hecho En Venezuela” is one of my favourite LPs.
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Khnud wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:36 am
bigfootkit wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:16 am Did you just know Resistencia or did you track that down via the Spanish lyrics? If so you have a great ear.
Resistencia was one of the songs I knew immediately, simply because ”Hecho En Venezuela” is one of my favourite LPs.
I'm a relatively recent convert, but 'Hecho...' is well on it's way to becoming a favourite of mine too.
Kraignoss666 wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:18 am By the way, I picked a few things from the descriptions, but still need to listen to both episodes from start to finish. Thanx for sharing!!!
You're very welcome Kraignoss666, glad you've enjoyed what you've heard enough to want to investigate further.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

As no-one's had a go at naming the songs on the Xmas episode yet i'll sit on the details of that one for a wee while longer, but here finally is the complete tracklist for episode 2 (Image In A Cracked Mirror).

01. Jack Parnell - ATV Television Ident (1969) (Associated Television TV broadcast ident)
02. Baltik - Leslie Briggs (Theme from 'Cult Of The Underdog') (1973) (from the 'Baltik' LP)
03. Randy Savages - Rock 'n' Roll Dies With Us (2020) (from the 'Rock 'n' Roll Dies With Us' digital single)
04. Bitch - Be My Slave (1983) (from the 'Be My Slave' LP)
05. Larry Wallis - Police Car (1977) (from the 'Police Car' 7")
06. Bad Brains - We Will Not (1983) (from the 'Rock For Light' LP)
07. Healing Force - Golden Miles (1971) (from the 'Golden Miles' 7")
08. Rocken Horse - Virgin Queen (1981) (from the 'Rocken Roll' LP)
09. Don Warren - Theme From Mr. Benn (1971) (from the 'Mr. Benn' TV show)
10. Slade - Them Kinda Monkeys Can't Swing (1974) (from the 'Slade In Flame' soundtrack LP)
11. Resistencia - Resistencia (1981) (from the 'Hecho En Venezuela' LP)
12. Mattias Barjed - Aldrig Fri (2007) (from the 'Upp Til Kamp!' soundtrack LP)
13. D-Generation - Degenerated (1994) (from the 'D-Generation' LP) (Reagan Youth cover)
14. Griffin - I Am The Noise In Your Head (1969) (from the 'I Am The Noise In Your Head' 7")
15. Wizard Castle - 10,000 Sword Salute (2012) (from the 'Snow And Gold' Mini LP)
16. Axe (aka Fist) - S. S. Giro (1978) (from the Various Artists 'Lead Weight' Compilation LP)
17. Bad Religion - I Want To Conquer The World (1989) (from the 'No Control' LP)
18. Johnny Hawksworth - Roobarb Theme (1974) (from the 'Roobarb' TV show)
19. IC Rock - It's My Life (1982) (from the 'Anyway Ya Want It' LP)
20. Bloodrock - Timepiece (1970) (from the 'Bloodrock' LP)
21. Anthrax - Blood Eagle Wings (Reprise) (2016) (from the 'For All Kings' LP)
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Holy cr.p, Kit. You should be given a programme on BBC. You are the true descendant of John Peel!

I only miss credits for film excerpts. Was that social security (... mere scroungers... on s.s. by choice) exct taken from documentary or from somewhere else? Again excellent as a whole.

But those less known bands (Randy Savages, Wizard Castle, IC Rock, Rocken Horse) ... how have you got to them?. I imagine this takes sifting through zillion of files. YT and BC are veritable Amazonia, impossible to navigate, let alone find something worth listening.

As for the Christmas bonus, I should amend myself: Dead Christmas is by Monster Magnet (I don't get how come I have heard someone else at first listen, I ascribe that as post-vax consequences). Of course, Ramones are easy to recognize, but I don't get that thing with For Whom The Bells Toll. Was this spliced by you or is that official. Still not sure what to think of it. The last track is surely by Germans, but it is not to be found on Banging round X-mas Tree, or?

I guess I need not to emphasize that I eagerly await Episode 3. :D
I am ... the One you warned me of
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

There's a DIO song in there as well. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen.

Thank you so much for these two episodes, Kit. They're like Rainbows In The Dark. Now I've got to go and look for that WIZARD CASTLE cassette. 100 copies only...
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Noisenik wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:41 am 1. Was that social security (... mere scroungers... on s.s. by choice) exct taken from documentary or from somewhere else?

2. But those less known bands (Randy Savages, Wizard Castle, IC Rock, Rocken Horse)

3. The last track is surely by Germans, but it is not to be found on Banging round X-mas Tree, or?
Thanks for the generous words fellas, glad you're enjoying what i'm doing.
Noisenik, in answer to your queries;
1. It was from an old 70s documentary about urban depravation in Glasgow narrated by the late great Magnus Magnusson, an Icelandic broadcaster who came to be a much loved TV personality here in the UK. I happened to see it just after i'd picked 'S.S. Giro' as a contender for the episode & that line seemed a perfect fit with the lyrical theme. Synchronicity.
2. Randy Savages were a recommendation from a friend, Wizard Castle came to my attention via a really circuitous & somewhat tragic chain of events that'd take a long time to explain, IC Rock & Rocken Horse had both been on my 'must hear' list for years, but i can't recall what alerted me to either band in the 1st place.
3. Nope, not Germans. Canadians! :lol:
Khnud wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:08 pm Now I've got to go and look for that WIZARD CASTLE cassette. 100 copies only...
Or you could save yourself the hassle (and probable expense) & just get the digital version off bandcamp.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Okay, finally, here's the complete tracklist for the Xmas episode. See you in February for more of the same. :D
Thanks again for the interest & support.

Episode 2.5 : Dark Christmas [Mini Episode]

01. Handel - Anglia TV Ident (excerpt from Water Music) (1717) (Anglia Television TV broadcast ident)
02. Baltik - Leslie Briggs (Theme from 'Cult Of The Underdog') (1973) (from the 'Baltik' LP)
03. Ronnie James Dio, Tony Iommi, Rudy Sarzo & Simon Wright - God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen (2010) (from the Various Artists 'We Wish You A Metal Xmas' Compilation LP)
04. Fear - Fuck Christmas (1982) (from the 'The Record' LP)
05. Hanoi Rocks - Dead By X-Mas (1982) (from the 'Self Destruction Blues' LP)
06. Sharks - Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town (1983) (from the 'Have A Metal Christmas' 7")
07. Monster Magnet - Dead Christmas (1995) (from the 'Dopes To Infinity' LP) (inc. Motorhead - Silent Night)
08. Ramones - Merry Christmas (I Don't Wanna Fight Tonight) (1989) (from the 'Brain Drain' LP)
09. Megadeth - Thrashing Through The Snow (2013) (from the 'Jimmy Kimmel Live!' TV show)
10. The Greedies - A Merry Jingle (1979) (from the 'A Merry Jingle' 7") (inc. Snowy Shaw - Krampus)
11. Metallica vs Trans-Siberian Orchestra - Time Marches On (DJ Cummerbund Mash-Up 2021 Remix) (from the 'Time Marches On' digital single)
12. Union Made - Ave Maria (2000) (from the Various Artists 'Noël Dans La Rue III' compilation LP)
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

bigfootkit wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:04 am
Noisenik wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:41 am 1. Was that social security (... mere scroungers... on s.s. by choice) exct taken from documentary or from somewhere else?

2. But those less known bands (Randy Savages, Wizard Castle, IC Rock, Rocken Horse)

3. The last track is surely by Germans, but it is not to be found on Banging round X-mas Tree, or?
Thanks for the generous words fellas, glad you're enjoying what i'm doing.
Noisenik, in answer to your queries;
1. It was from an old 70s documentary about urban depravation in Glasgow narrated by the late great Magnus Magnusson, an Icelandic broadcaster who came to be a much loved TV personality here in the UK. I happened to see it just after i'd picked 'S.S. Giro' as a contender for the episode & that line seemed a perfect fit with the lyrical theme. Synchronicity.
2. Randy Savages were a recommendation from a friend, Wizard Castle came to my attention via a really circuitous & somewhat tragic chain of events that'd take a long time to explain, IC Rock & Rocken Horse had both been on my 'must hear' list for years, but i can't recall what alerted me to either band in the 1st place.
3. Nope, not Germans. Canadians! :lol:
Khnud wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:08 pm Now I've got to go and look for that WIZARD CASTLE cassette. 100 copies only...
Or you could save yourself the hassle (and probable expense) & just get the digital version off bandcamp.
Kit, perfect. With Christmas mini-episode credits disclosed, I only miss credits for the rest of movie/tv-programmes excerpts from episode 2. When you will find time to do it. Cheers!
I am ... the One you warned me of