Malaysia/Singapore Metal (...and vinyl)

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Ernest Thesiger

Re: Malaysia/Singapore Metal (...and vinyl)

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

Aces are my fave so far, definitely.
"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

DaN wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:48 amNice, that gave me an excuse to check out VOJD. I know Sebbe some but haven't gotten around to them since the name-change from Black Trip... Yes, this is That Sound alright. Sweet one, cheers!
Nice to be able to put you onto something for a change, glad you enjoyed it.
I hadn't heard Black Trip before i discovered VOJD but Noisenik helpfully pointed me back towards them. Some great stuff on those records & not that much different in approach, but VOJD's musical vision seems more fully realised to me. In Metal, so often the terms 'maturity' & 'growth' are used as short-hand for 'have now rejected everything that made them good in the first place', but VOJD are an exception.
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Stumbled across this blog last night by complete accident & thought it was worth bringing to everyone's attention.
Lots of albums from Indonesia & Malaysia to be had & though the blog seems to have run it's course by 2011, the links all look to have been refreshed with present day re-ups. At least the ones i tried were still live.
A lot of sifting to be done, as it's not a genre-specific site, & there's little info to be gleaned beyond cover art & tracklistings, but i'll bet there's some good stuff to be dug up here:

https://borneoclassicrock.blogspot.com/
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Wow :shock:
This one had completely passed me by. Need to harvest the promising-looking stuff asap. And then, hopefully, find the time to actually listen to it.

Edit:
CrXst this is too much... Gonna do what I always do and go for the comps first. Hopefully that will give some hints on what bands to research further.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Thank you both. I could finally listen to RUDAL.
I am ... the One you warned me of
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

Hey, thanks! Have been curious to hear God Bless.
"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

DaN wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:40 am
Wow :shock:
This one had completely passed me by. Need to harvest the promising-looking stuff asap. And then, hopefully, find the time to actually listen to it.

Edit:
CrXst this is too much... Gonna do what I always do and go for the comps first. Hopefully that will give some hints on what bands to research further.
Yeah, the amount of content is pretty overwhelming, though that's quite a nice 'problem' to have in this particular field of exploration. With a few of us digging through it hopefully we can discover some worthwhile gold. Happy excavating folks.
Ernest Thesiger wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:20 pm
Hey, thanks! Have been curious to hear God Bless.
I've got God Bless someplace & from what i remember it was patchy but had several songs that were well worth hearing.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

I was filling in for my boss at work yesterday, and click-download-click-download'ed for hours in the background while working (ha!). Of course I forgot to transfer the "harvest" to my USB, so now I need to go into his office and ask him if I can borrow his PC for half an hour. Crap, I need a good excuse... :|
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

DaN wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:05 am I was filling in for my boss at work yesterday, and click-download-click-download'ed for hours in the background while working (ha!). Of course I forgot to transfer the "harvest" to my USB, so now I need to go into his office and ask him if I can borrow his PC for half an hour. Crap, I need a good excuse... :|
:lol: I think you should wait for the next filling-in. That would be way more elegant.

Btw, Kit, you really seem to have a very good metal detector, it does not seem to be working "per chance".
I am ... the One you warned me of
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Back to the reviews - this time of one of the top rarities of the scene - and also a classic - and also disappointing. Read more:

RUSTY BLADE - Rintangan Hidup Dunia LP 1987 review

YT-playlist:

(track order is different from the original MC)

Should be about half a dozen records left to write about, until I'd consider this area at least decently covered. Some of those titles I might not get my hands on until after Xmas tho'...
Zombie Dance

Post by Zombie Dance »

DaN wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:32 am Back to the reviews - this time of one of the top rarities of the scene - and also a classic - and also disappointing. Read more:

Berat is my favorite from them, I'd simply recommend tracking the cds reissue that are well done and contains all the tracks I think, there's even a three albums set.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Zombie Dance wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:49 amBerat is my favorite from them, I'd simply recommend tracking the cds reissue that are well done and contains all the tracks I think, there's even a three albums set.
It's hard for me to pick a favourite, but I think I'd go with RHD just for the amount of crushing, pounding riffs. I'll elaborate more on that in the upcoming "Berat" and "Awas!" reviews in the coming week..
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Noisenik wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:23 am
DaN wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:05 am I was filling in for my boss at work yesterday, and click-download-click-download'ed for hours in the background while working (ha!). Of course I forgot to transfer the "harvest" to my USB, so now I need to go into his office and ask him if I can borrow his PC for half an hour. Crap, I need a good excuse... :|
:lol: I think you should wait for the next filling-in. That would be way more elegant.

Btw, Kit, you really seem to have a very good metal detector, it does not seem to be working "per chance".
:lol:
Hope you can find a way to retrieve the files without drawing undue attention DaN. It would be ideal if your boss was a big fan of obscure Malay Metal so you could say you downloaded the files for him, but i'm guessing that's not the case? :D
Noisenik, though my 'Metal detector' can be pretty good, on this occasion i was just trying to find a decent sized version of the cover art for the cassette version of Aces 'Hidup' album when i blundered my way on to the borneoclassickrock blog & couldn't believe my eyes. A happy accident.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Here's another really obscure one that might not be Top-5 material, but I really dig the overall sound & vibe of it - quite un-Malay'ic I'd say. Gaze upon its "beauty" and read more:

PURNAMA - Materialisma LP 1990 review

The YT-clips once again sounded like crap, so here's my own rip:
Exclusive content for logged in users.
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

Thanks for the chance to hear these rarities. Going to carve out some time to give them a listen. One of the very frustrating part of hearing these types of things on the interwebz is usually they are poor rips or low bitrate. Combine that with a language that is a bit difficult on these ears and that tendency to have too many ballads, well lets just say all all these things make it easy to click the stop button. I'm looking forward to hearing some metal that will actually have moments of greatness, or at least "goodness".