Various : TASTY : Truly Obscure Vintage Hard Rock (USA-1976-1983) NEW LINK : 11/11/2020

Share rare mp3s with forum members. PLZ READ UPDATE!
Astra Wally

Re: Various : TASTY : Truly Obscure Vintage Hard Rock (USA-1976-1983)

Post by Astra Wally »

@Bigfoot: do you own personally that Payne Brothers' Band cd ? Is this good?
Really enjoying that Cocaine Cowboy track, great guitars à la Point Blank/Blackhorse
Heaven is yours, Hell is mine
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

nightsblood wrote:THE ADAMS-MICHAELS BAND- Well, we had to hit a bit of a clunker sooner or later. I have a personal beef with every single band to ever record under the moniker of “Name of A Member ‘S BAND’.
Even Edgar Broughton? Excellent write-up anyway. Cheers!
"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Ernest Thesiger wrote:
nightsblood wrote:THE ADAMS-MICHAELS BAND- Well, we had to hit a bit of a clunker sooner or later. I have a personal beef with every single band to ever record under the moniker of “Name of A Member ‘S BAND’.
There's always some exception that buggers up a perfectly good theory, i was thinking of Michael Schenker Group myself.
Also does The Allman Brothers Band (for example) escape that criticism coz there's more than one band members name in their title?
We need clarification dammit!
:mrgreen:
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

bigfootkit wrote:
Ernest Thesiger wrote:
There's always some exception that buggers up a perfectly good theory, i was thinking of Michael Schenker Group myself.
Also does The Allman Brothers Band (for example) escape that criticism coz there's more than one band members name in their title?
We need clarification dammit!
:mrgreen:
Or bands named after the last name of a member.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
metaljunkie

Post by metaljunkie »

hello, this I missed as well, by reading some of the info I think some trcks should be intersting for me to hear, maxbe someone can reup this - thank you
I have been outta here for some time, maybe some folks remember me, maybe not...
Now back in the game here - I missed you - cheers
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

metaljunkie wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:26 pm hello, this I missed as well, by reading some of the info I think some trcks should be intersting for me to hear, maxbe someone can reup this - thank you
Coincidentally i've just recently been doing some work on putting together a sequel to this compilation, so if you don't mind waiting a while i'll re-up Vol 1 when i post Vol 2. :wink:
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Huh... Seems I never grabbed the first volume :oops:
Care for a re-up? I'm in an old-farts mood...
metaljunkie

Post by metaljunkie »

@ Bigfootkid - sure I can wait, but don't know about DaN though :lol:
great to hear there will be a 2nd edition as well
cheers
I have been outta here for some time, maybe some folks remember me, maybe not...
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

DaN wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:24 pm Huh... Seems I never grabbed the first volume :oops:
Care for a re-up? I'm in an old-farts mood...
Sure thing DaN.
I thought i was gonna have to go digging through CD-rs & hard drives to find it but fortunately it was sitting on my computer.
Uploading just now, so i'll update the 1st post with a fresh link as soon as it's done.
Hopefully a fresh listen to Vol 1 will also help spur me on to finish compiling it's intended sequel before Xmas rolls around.
metaljunkie wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:25 pm @ Bigfootkid - sure I can wait, but don't know about DaN though :lol:
great to hear there will be a 2nd edition as well
cheers
Wait no more metaljunkie, there'll be a fresh link in about 20 mins.

EDIT : Original post now updated with fresh link.
alien laserblast

Re: Various : TASTY : Truly Obscure Vintage Hard Rock (USA-1976-1983) NEW LINK : 11/11/2020

Post by alien laserblast »

Can’t wait for volume 2! This comp got me into Good Rats, they quickly became one of my tops obsessions. What a cool string of records they put out!
bigfootkit

Re: Various : TASTY : Truly Obscure Vintage Hard Rock (USA-1976-1983) NEW LINK : 11/11/2020

Post by bigfootkit »

alien laserblast wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:14 am Can’t wait for volume 2! This comp got me into Good Rats, they quickly became one of my tops obsessions. What a cool string of records they put out!
Absolutely agree with you about the Good Rats, from the moment i discovered a cheap copy of 'Tasty' (the Good Rats album rather than this coincidentally titled comp) at a record fair & took a blind punt on it i've been a big fan of their output.
Their 70s catalogue is uniquely quirky & they were such consumate and distinctive musicians & songwriters. So prolific during their purple patch too.
Ir's a mystery how they never hit the big time, but perhaps their refusal to fit neatly into any one genre box provided too big of an obstacle for mass acceptance.
metaljunkie

Post by metaljunkie »

thanks very much for the reupload.
I enjoyed the songs most, where band members or the band re-surfaced later in the 80ies with more recordings in the Hard Rock/metal genre, like Liquid Sky, Spike, Schoolboys, Good Rats, Feinstein and Legs Diamond. You already hear the potential...

what really helped was the background info and connection you provided, which certainly is not always that easy to find, even nowadays, buried under the dust of the years...

so thanks for this, can't wait for the follow-up :D
alien laserblast

Post by alien laserblast »

bigfootkit wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:45 am
alien laserblast wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:14 am Can’t wait for volume 2! This comp got me into Good Rats, they quickly became one of my tops obsessions. What a cool string of records they put out!
Absolutely agree with you about the Good Rats, from the moment i discovered a cheap copy of 'Tasty' (the Good Rats album rather than this coincidentally titled comp) at a record fair & took a blind punt on it i've been a big fan of their output.
Their 70s catalogue is uniquely quirky & they were such consumate and distinctive musicians & songwriters. So prolific during their purple patch too.
Ir's a mystery how they never hit the big time, but perhaps their refusal to fit neatly into any one genre box provided too big of an obstacle for mass acceptance.
From what I understand Peppi was maybe a little outspoken? Or I guess unbending judging by the lyrics to "Songwriter". Regardless he left a really great legacy of music. I even dig some of the 90's recordings :shock:
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

alien laserblast wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:36 pm From what I understand Peppi was maybe a little outspoken? Or I guess unbending judging by the lyrics to "Songwriter". Regardless he left a really great legacy of music. I even dig some of the 90's recordings :shock:
Yeah, it seems like he had plenty of that old-skool 'Noo Yawk' attitude, but there's also loads of humour there to offset some of the more combative observations & there's real depth & intelligence to a lot of the lyrics. Who else would write a song about Hitler's suicide (Writing The Pages) then decide to give it's parent album the goofy puntacular title of 'Ratcity In Blue'? Always that mix of intelligence & ridiculousness. I favour the 70s line up as they were such a versatile unit who somehow managed to maintain their unique identity no matter what odd musical side road they found themselves on, but there are some great moments on those later records for sure.
metaljunkie wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:36 pm thanks very much for the reupload.
I enjoyed the songs most, where band members or the band re-surfaced later in the 80ies with more recordings in the Hard Rock/metal genre, like Liquid Sky, Spike, Schoolboys, Good Rats, Feinstein and Legs Diamond. You already hear the potential...
what really helped was the background info and connection you provided, which certainly is not always that easy to find, even nowadays, buried under the dust of the years...
so thanks for this, can't wait for the follow-up :D
No worries mj, i'm glad you enjoyed it. I'd actually thought that there might have been a bit too much stylistic variety for some here, but it seems there are more than a few who don't mind their Metal sitting alongside some quality Hard Rock, Pomp or Southern Rock & it seemed to go down pretty well overall. Vol 2's taking shape, just working on whittling it down to a CD-r's worth of worthy tunes & doing a bit of research on the 'keepers', and you're right, it really isn't always easy to find info on these old bands, but oh how we love that minutae. :lol:
Keir

Post by Keir »

Somehow I'm only just discovering this lovely little compilation (thanks Dan for the tip!). Thank you so much for putting this together bigfootkit! I was already familiar with most of the songs but it was a fun listen anyway and I discovered a few great new tunes as well, such as Luna, Reign, and especially Winter City. I'm really looking forward to a second volume!