Ye Olde Metal Wold Map - link tips & feedback

Discussions and comments on The Corroseum website, its articles, features and reviews.
jnfernal

Re: Ye Olde Metal Wold Map - link tips & feedback

Post by jnfernal »

good to hear. In which part of Vietnam are you going?

If you go to Hanoi, there should be still a few shops nearby the lake in the centre of the town: there was a CD/DVD store where they had a CD of a vietnamese death metal band that I never heard of neither before nor later. But they charged 5 US$ which was absurd, for having just 3 songs. But I regret having not bought it, because it seems they are totally unknown everywhere
But also on the eastern side of the lake, nearby the big shopping malls and the rich residential areas, there are some small second hand shops. Even if I found some of the most interesting vietnamese stuff in second hand shops in Bangkok (around Nana or Sukumvit, to be precise)

Plus, there is a really nice place in Hanoi that really deserves a visit.... it's called "Bụi Store": it's not easy to find, is in a small and twisty alley but once you find it, you'll feel in an oasis of peace and relax, with a bunch of young guys who created a delicious space for selling music, t-shirts and combining it with a small bar/restaurant. Beware: local people in Hanoi are not exactly open to foreigners, it's really difficult to have interactions with them. But here I found a couple of guys who were talkiative and friendly, which is quite an exception in Hanoi. And the place really deserves a visit.

I don't know about Saigon, never been there. But if you go to Laos... uh, well, don't expect much. But you can visit the old central market in Vientiane where there are still many bootleg seller at the ground floor, both inside and outside the building and 1-2 shops at the 1st or 2nd floor inside the building. In Luang Prabang there is an active music scene but not so many music shops.... you can try here too at the local central market but expect to find just cdr copies or some chinese bootleg. But sometimes you can find some interesting stuff that only God knows how they ended up there

As for Cambodia.... mmmm.... Phnom Penh: Orussey Market (both inside and all around the surrounding streets), Russian Market (at the ground floor there are any small shops inside and outside) + there was a place still in the centre where I found one Pokolgep Lp but I can't remember the street name.... 54th? 27th? I need to check+ a CD/DVD store nearby the junction with Preah Sihanouk and Preah Monivong Boulevards in the direction of the Indipendence Momument and just a few meters far from a big gas station and... ah yes, the Sorya Shopping Centre, where at the2nd or 3rd floor you may also find some japanese original or bootleg stuff including several X Japan boxet and the traditional market nearby the Riverside where you can find lot of vietnamese sellers (beware: these places are really dirty and messed up, but they have their own style if you don't mind too much :D )
Last edited by jnfernal on Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
jnfernal

Re: Ye Olde Metal Wold Map - link tips & feedback

Post by jnfernal »

then, as for Thailand:

- In Chiang Mai you have to check Donpheebin's music store. They sell instruments but they also have all the Donpheebin CDs (reissues, originals, limited editions, collector's edition....). The guy (I don't remember who is him exactly as they are 3-4 brothers) is nice and friendly and he also sells other albums on Day One Records (Doomed Day and other bands). They also released limited vinyl edition for the first 3 Donpheebin album, they are expensive and I don't know if they are already out of stock. The music shop is just outside the centre, in a walking distance.
Also... but I don't know if it's still operating, there was a small CD/DVD store in the night market, inside a building.... I found some interesting stuff from Thailand, China and Malaysia as well as european and american original or bootleg CD....

- In Bangkok..... uuuhhh.... so many places. You have to check the Triple Six music shop just in the square of the main train station. It's at the second floor of a small building, not to difficult to find. They really have lot of stuff, including lot of thai local bands, reissues of The Exile from Laos as well as imported stuff. CDs, Tapes and Vinyls. A top must in town

- Plus, obviously the TWO Heaven and Hell stores: one is just inside the Chatuchak Market but it's open only during weekend. The other Heaven and Hell is just behind Chatuchak Market, just behind the metro subway station of Bang Sue, open every day, in a very cool gallery. During the day next to the Bang Sue Metro and just in front of the rear entrance of Chatuchak Market there is also a daily second hand market on the street, just at the base of the building where they sell a lot of antiques. In the same building there was also the Sick Chainsaw Record Store but I think they closed a 2-3 years ago. But you can check inside the bulding as there could be some new shops. Super friendly guy. And the shop also has a small cafe bar, in this delicious arty gallery where it's really nice to spend time and enjoy a few beers and food.

- Also on the way to Chatuchak Market there is a weekend street second hand market: check it as you may find some surprises.

Then... uh... lot of other places. Let me think:

- Pantip 2 (aka Pantip Ngamongwan).... which is NOT the hyper shitty Pantip Plaza (or Pantip 1) nearby the Central World in Sukumvit (avoid this place, it's just pure garbage). Pantip 2 is very far from the centre of the town, it's in the suburbs and you need to catch bus nr. 63 or 32 (can't remember) from Victory Monument bound to North-East of Bangkok. During weekends there is a very interesting second hand market on the top floor but everyday at the 3rd and 4th floor you can find A LOT of stable music stores/second hand stores where you can find A HELL of stuff, including original vinyls of local metal bands as well as new releases,tapes, old vhs, old dvd, old everything. Ask around how to reach the place as it's really difficult and not so many people know it

- Metal Quest is inside the Palladium Complex, next to the Pratunam ferry boat stop. Nice and really well equipped. They are specialized in brutal/death but you can also find a lot of stuff, including japanese imported CDs (the guy goes regularly to Japan to get new/old stuff). Beware: the owner is usually out or sleeping at home. So you have to go there more times before you find the shop open. He takes it easily :D

- Musicland is just in front of the Metal Quest, in the Indra Square Complex, just on the opposite side of the road, at the ground floor. Another excellent shop where you can find also lot of new releases and re-releases from Thailand and more

- Hall of Fame is inside the Fortune Town Shopping Mall. In the same shopping mall you'll find also another couple of shops where you can buy vinyls and CDs imported from Japan. Check all the shops inside the shopping mall because you may find interesting stuff.

- Menu Pleng is one of the best shops around. It's quite far, in Bang Kapi, you may take the boat from Pratunam and get out at Bang Kapi Mall after a 30-40 minutes trip along the channel. It worths going there by boat as it's a beautiful experience along the channels and you can see the daily life and exquisite small coffee shops along the watery way. A really really good shop with old tapes, vinyls, imported CDs (I found Strana Officina and Skanners from Italy...). Plus the area where the shop lies is really nice (it's called Happyland or something like that)

- Amorn Movie is just in front of Klong Thom market. It's a good shop, selling mainly new vinyl releases including thai metal re-releases (Olarn, Donpheebin....). Nice place and nice people. And if you cross the street and enter in Klong Thom Market you may still find something on the stalls. And when there is the night market, you may be able to find some real gems (I found the Heavy Mob original tapes as well as lot of other stuff in the past). Behind this shop there were several street where until a few years ago you could find A LOT of distributors, second hand shops, music shops but now this area is completely teared down.

- Night markets are everywhere.... thai people live by night until early morning. And they organize street night market everywhere. An interesting one is nearby the biggest buddist temple area, along the channel. But they can be everywhere and it's not easy for us foreigners to know where they are or to get proper information

- There are lot of other music shops in Bangkok which deserve a visit. But, well, as the town is really big and it's really difficult to move around, I suggest you to check these places first. So many places and I know they opened more and more shops in the past 2 years