Incidents with records

All vinyl-specific issues goes in this here subforum.
Sgt. Kuntz

Post by Sgt. Kuntz »

Dark Stranger wrote:My first ever vinyl, age 12 (Iron Maiden 'Killers'), I was listening to when the electricity went out during a storm. To my surprise, I found I could hear the music for 2-3 seconds as the needle stopped spinning. So I presumed you could play vinyl records by dragging a needle along the groove.

I took a needle from my mother's sewing kit, and proceeded to kill 'Killers' by scratching it to death trying to hear the music.
So? Did it work? :lol:
Where were you in '79 when the dam began to burst

http://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/ptrz80
sovdat

Post by sovdat »

First LP I had was Zagrebški rock 79-89, a local compilation with bands like Azra, Prljavo Kazalište etc. I guess I was around 8-9 years old at the time, and after the turntable on old stereo stopped working, I used the LP as a frisbee for my dog. Of course it didn't last a single day :roll: Can't remember what was the end of it though, dog's bite or the impact with ground ;).
Lama

Post by Lama »

A couple of years ago I left my Entombed "Clandestine"-LP standing against the wall on the floor of my 'music room'. When I returned later that day I noticed that my dog had urinated on it :? Luckily I left the plastic protective cover around the sleeve.
Kampel Destruction
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

Your dog has amazingly mature music taste! Kudos! :lol:
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

I've heard folks say they hate a record so much they wouldn't piss on it, but that's taking it in a different direction! :D
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
deathster

Post by deathster »

Not very big accidents luckily:
- Some years ago my litttle daughter tore a piece off from Venom "Black Metal" poster from door
- In past/teenage years my sister taped over some tapes I had lented from friends (grrrr)
- Also sister draw fucking hearts to Dead Conspiracy promo CD back cover (CD cover was out of jewelcase and backside up, so it seemed like ordinary blank paper obviously to her)
Aiden

Post by Aiden »

I went to my parents house for a few days over Christmas 2010 (rob the fridge and get thrown out, just like every year!!) Anyway, when I returned all I could hear was running water, LOTS of running water. The damn pipes had burst in the bathroom! (It was a very cold winter for Ireland, I now always turn the pipes off when I leave for a few days). The water was about 5mm in the bathroom and kitchen and had made its way into the living room. I had one of my boxes of Lp's (approx 40-50Lp's) on the ground beside my stereo. The water was extremely close to the box so I grabbed it and brought it into the bedroom (nearly breaking my back in the process!) Anyway, none of the Lp's got wet and, after a few hours of mopping up the water, my place was looking ok with no real damage done apart from a few pipes.
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

I knew it! I shouldn't have posted in this topic, now Record Karma got back at me.

Yesterday my copy of MAZO (ES) - s/t arrived. Cracked!

Seems like the package was shoved into a sharp edge at some point, it's got a dent corresponding with the area cracked on the record. So the postal system is to blame. Bummer!
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

Mazo! Damn what a waste of such a great record.
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Luckily I didn't pay that much for it, but as you say, such a waste of a great record.

Edit: Hold on, wait a second! Just compared the auction picture with the cover of my (broken) record. It's not the same copy! My copy has a price tag on the cover and the one in the auction picture doesn't. I might just open up a case after all!
Welcome to our dream
Welcome to our night
I can make you scream
I can make you fight
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

a few months ago,i took out my Tudor-Ultra Black Metal die hard copy from NWN,while i was taking out the OBI,according to me, carefully as many times before ,and suddenly it just ripped completely,i swear i didnt see that coming i wasnt even drunk,i felt pretty bad for the following days. Lesson learned,just keep OBI´s aside of the record :(
Glen

Post by Glen »

Last April at KIT I had a bag of 4 or 5 vinyls with me in the camping area. In the evening we were drinking and fooling around as usual and I put this bag beside me and a guy stood up and ended up stepping on this bag with the vinyls inside. Fortunately none of the vinyls suffered any damages although as you can imagine I was quite pissed off but in the end it wasn't entirely his fault because it was quite dark and the everflowing consumption of alcohol didn't help either.
"Spitting in the face of mainstream music"

Owner of Iron Horde Promotions
Organizer of the Malta Doom Metal Festival
http://www.maltadoom.com