Your opinions on the following bands ...

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
boris

Your opinions on the following bands ...

Post by boris »

No 80's or unknown / rare stuff here. Just want to know the general opinions about some of my most favorite releases from the last years, which I would prefer over a lot of 80's stuff.

1. Grave Digger - albums from the second half of the 90's and the 00's. I just consider these so much stronger and better than many 80's stuff. That's in-your-face metal for me. The self titled, I think it's from 2000 is just incredible.

2. Dream Evil - one of my favorite newer bands. They might use every hook and metal catch phrase possible, but they still crush.

3. Therion - the sympho stuff starting with Theli. I think it's pretty genious. Blending metal music with classical elements is extremely interesting. I've enjoyed most of their sympho albums so far (songs like "The Rise of Sodom of Gomorrah" are incredible). The early stuff is crap though.

Any opinions on these ?
sovdat

Post by sovdat »

Grave Digger - that period is my favorite GD as well! My favorite is Excalibur, while I must admit that the self titled (it's from 01 I believe) was a bit of a letdown for me. Their latest album (Liberty) is on a very high level again!

Dream Evil - I was introduced to this band with hearing that they have some connections with Hammerfall (that's Hammer Fall :) ), so I didn't bother at all.

Therion - I bought Secrets of the Runes by a mistake (found a promo paper inside which stated "similar to early Paradise Lost" - but for some another album! Not my stuff at all. And one of the most boring bands I've ever seen. Their early stuff was decent death metal, if I remember correctly.
boris

Post by boris »

sovdat wrote:Therion - I bought Secrets of the Runes by a mistake (found a promo paper inside which stated "similar to early Paradise Lost" - but for some another album! Not my stuff at all. And one of the most boring bands I've ever seen. Their early stuff was decent death metal, if I remember correctly.
I just can't fucking stand death metal (also hate black metal and most of thrash metal) and I really really live classical music, so here's where it comes from :D
Nightlock

Post by Nightlock »

sovdat wrote:Grave Digger - that period is my favorite GD as well! My favorite is Excalibur, while I must admit that the self titled (it's from 01 I believe) was a bit of a letdown for me. Their latest album (Liberty) is on a very high level again!
I'll just talk about Grave Digger because I don't fancy the other two bands all that much. Basically their 80's stuff is sloppy pretty dodgy 80's German Traditional Metal there are tons of German bands who made albums around that period that were much better yet didn't get anywhere near as much exposure. Don't get me wrong they still have good songs but they're not great albums.

When Grave Digger started doing full concept albums was when they started to grow as musicians and make more original amazing albums. Excalibur is also my favourite Grave Digger albums followed closely by Rheingold the more fantasy sound suits them much more than the other themes they’ve tried to incorporate through their music. Although they do horror well (The Reaper, The Grave Digger) and the more sterile historic/religious themes (their two most resent efforts) the more Power Metal/Fantasy albums are their best.
"On your knees
Into the night that you'll never remember"
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

I never became a fan of GRAVE DIGGER coz I could never stand the vocals. The old albums have some great Metal classics musicwise, but the little I've heard from the later stuff felt pretty run-of-the-mill. I'd rather keep exploring the few 80's EuroMetal standards I still haven't heard.

Never heard DREAM EVIL I think. Those who've raved about them before hasn't been the most reliable sources, and I don't know if I can trust the word of a GOTHAM CITY-denier either :lol:

I actually thought THERION's "Vovin" and "Theli" albums were alright, even if some parts were a bit dreary and overpretentious. After those albums they seem stuck in a loop..

Edit: Moved to "Victim of Time"
FenderMedium

Post by FenderMedium »

I don't like later grave digger I see this band has formed two camps new and old and I am of the old camp.

Dream Evil has too many modern elements for my taste,they lack any kind of drive and they are pretty generic.

I consider Therion's Of Darkness... and Beyond Sanctorum to be great swedish death metal releases and I don't care for anything after these.
Hellride Mike

Post by Hellride Mike »

The older Grave Digger stuff is definitely rawer and more primative but there is something about it that just exhudes head banging joy. Personally I prefer the earlier stuff. The late 90's to 00's stuff is allright but seems to me to have some great moments rather than an ongoing consistency...never heard the other two bands...
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

I prefer 90s Grave Digger.But not a fave band though.I like a lot Excalibur and Tunes Of War.

Dream Evil-i have the videoclip ..In The Book Of Heavy Metal.. good song.Strange image but too mainstream Power Metal for me.

Therion i have not heard.
DMR

Post by DMR »

I love Therion. My favorites are Lepacca Kliffoth, Theli, and Sirius B. I haven't checked out their first three albums yet, but I probably should sooner or later. The new album was a big letdown, though.

Grave Digger's OK, but they only have a few songs I like ("Son of Evil"). Dream Evil seems too much like a joke power metal band, like Edguy or Hammerfall. I don't have a problem with humorous metal bands (I'm a huge Manowar fan) as long as they have the songs to back it up.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

1. I found the first three to be of historical value. not bad heavy power though also not earth-shattering. being early Noise int. I find first three metals very dear to me. The later stuff I don't know that good.

2. I hardly tell 'em from the of modern melo-power metal flood. I might start yawning just to think of them.

3. ... Of Darkness may be one of the best DM albums ever. Unfortuantely I only have a toy - but I love it no end. Beyond Sanctorum didn't move me and I find that strange. Symphony Masses and Leppaca Kliffoth are again almost perfect, esp. LK makes me going berserk. 2 tracks from Theli are very good. Vovin makes me yawnin', as does the rest of opus with possible exception of oboe track from Deggial. I think the 2-millenial albums were made to hastily - money has spoiled CJ utterly - turning him into entrepreneur while musician was left behind.
I am ... the One you warned me of
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

FenderMedium wrote:I consider Therion's Of Darkness... and Beyond Sanctorum to be great swedish death metal releases and I don't care for anything after these.
Snap. I really can't listen to their neo-classical stuff. I hate it when metal bands use orchestras & they just get them to play riffs alongside the guitars. Cringeable. I was hoping Therion were going take their cue from the arrangements on Into the Pandemonium or something like that, but I was let down. Vanessa Mae Metal.
Nicko McBuff

Post by Nicko McBuff »

I like Grave Digger's 90s works better than their earlier material which I find standard german metal and although its good it doesn't do as much for me as bands like ATLAIN, RUNNING WILD etc. Don't get me wrong I still like the 80s works. I just think that they really got their stuff together in the 90s. With a really fucking cool comeback album in THE REAPER and then their concept albums like EXCALIBUR. The recent one RHEINGOLD is killer too.

Dream Evil sound like a manufactured overproduced band on a bigger label trying to recreate 80s metal. The resulting music is really average at best. Sounds like a joke attempt at true metal.