Heavy Metal Accents

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Derrick Metaliszta

Post by Derrick Metaliszta »

because of obvious pronunciation reasons like vowel variations and the like...
Melalui lorong hidupku, akan ku teruskan...
Pelayaran ini sehingga hujungnya!
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

DaN wrote:I thought this was cool subject worthy of its own thread.

For instance, what are non-Swedes' opinion of Ola Ohlsson (GOTHAM CITY 7" + MLP)?
This guy had quite a "special" voice, very expressionless and with a HEAVY Swedish accent. Usually this makes my ears cry, but personally I think they're so unique I still love them.

Another example: first time I heard BLACK HOLE I couldn't help but sneer at Measel's weird pronounciations, but with time it's gotten so associated with the sound of the band I would NEVER like to hear their songs without his "Demo-niiak Cii-i-tii!"s and "Blind meeeeehn and ooohkult forsiiis!" 8)
I love non-English accent just like i love mine which is very,very heavy even for greek,Haha!!!I'm not from Athens like ION BRITTON :wink: :D
CRUSH rules with their accent!BERSERKS kick ass too,their accent enhances this masterpiece from 1982!!
BLACK HOLE singing accent i find totally interesting it reminds of myself when i used to sing at a band :lol:

Yes i had noticed that Ola Ohlsson had special accent and that's excite me!!!I don't know which are best singer Ola or Anders,one thing is for sure better Ola for his ton,accent and down-to-earth singing.Question for Swedes does the people from Norrland have that special accent?(like those who speek Skånska)

It's also totally normal and cool to sing in your own pronunciation(of your place)and not follow the fucking trend and try to sing like you are from London! :lol: That makes some non-English bands trying to immiitate English sound like clowns or gays.
Metalipeiklo

Post by Metalipeiklo »

Fucking Åmål wrote: Yes i had noticed that Ola Ohlsson had special accent and that's excite me!!!I don't know which are best singer Ola or Anders,one thing is for sure better Ola for his ton,accent and down-to-earth singing.Question for Swedes does the people from Norrland have that special accent?(like those who speek Skånska)
I thought that Ola Ohlsson was from Stockholm when first hearing his accent in G. CITY but I know nothing about his particular origin. Sounds a bit like a 80's yuppie from Stockholm singing, sounds about as inspired as one too, haha. But any metal band singing in the dialect of skånska like you mentioned, uuh... I really hope no such band has ever existed!
Fun records
metalmaster

Post by metalmaster »

FenderMedium wrote:
metalmaster wrote:Most of bands singing in latin-related languajes have serious troubles with english: spanish, italian, french, portuguese, but I never mind as long as the music is good
They would be better off using their own languages as they sound more melodic.

I don't think V8 or Der Kaiser would work with english vocals.
Yeah, that is the reason whu most of them sign in espanish or french. It would be very strange to hear Luzbel or Megaton, or V8 or ADX in English (well there are some song sung in English, but the charm is gone...)
metalmaster

Post by metalmaster »

omen of hate wrote:
metalmaster wrote:Most of bands singing in latin-related languajes have serious troubles with english: spanish, italian, french, portuguese, but I never mind as long as the music is good
I 100% agree with you, each attempt of a French metal band to release an album in English is a disaster !
Well I like for example the Sortilege English versions. perhaps it is because I take more notice of the music than what is beign sung. But Certainly I prefer the original versions of the songs no matter the languaje. I love spanish, hungarian and french for instance.
metalmaster

Post by metalmaster »

By the way... I think I cant remeber a Metal bands singing in German (wel Onkel Tom is a sole example)...any names please???
Metalipeiklo

Post by Metalipeiklo »

metalmaster wrote:By the way... I think I cant remeber a Metal bands singing in German (wel Onkel Tom is a sole example)...any names please???
East-german FORMEL 1! :) (among other GDR-bands from that time)
Fun records
Derrick Metaliszta

Fucking Åmål wrote:
DaN wrote:Yes i had noticed that Ola Ohlsson had special accent and that's excite me!!!I don't know which are best singer Ola or Anders,one thing is for sure better Ola for his ton,accent and down-to-earth singing.Question for Swedes does the people from Norrland have that special accent?(like those who speek Skånska)
I thought Skanska was a construction company...? :)
Derrick Metaliszta

Metalipeiklo wrote:
metalmaster wrote:By the way... I think I cant remeber a Metal bands singing in German (wel Onkel Tom is a sole example)...any names please???
East-german FORMEL 1! :) (among other GDR-bands from that time)
Yeah, there were many bands in the GDR singing in German, just most of them weren't able to release an album, only singles. Great stuff anyways!
tbieri

Post by tbieri »

BRESLAU, Alex Parche, Booster, Brainstorm, Doc Eisenhauer. Lüde und die Astros

All more Hard/Heavy Rock, but BRESLAU is a classic ! Althought for me ! ;-)
Brainstorm are quite heavy and the song "Overkill" is really Great !
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

tbieri wrote:
BRESLAU, Alex Parche, Booster, Brainstorm, Doc Eisenhauer. Lüde und die Astros

All more Hard/Heavy Rock, but BRESLAU is a classic ! Althought for me ! ;-)
Brainstorm are quite heavy and the song "Overkill" is really Great !
A few more names: Cobra, Plattform, Mcb, Berluc...Dan has a link that leads to a site that's about metal in DDR. Check it out, lots of unknown bands to discover...
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Nicko McBuff

Post by Nicko McBuff »

Formel Eins is probably the only metal band I've heard singing in german, and from the old DDR. I'd love that link!
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

Metalipeiklo wrote: But any metal band singing in the dialect of skånska like you mentioned, uuh... I really hope no such band has ever existed!
And why not? :? :roll: Now my curiosity grows even more!Any band with this dialect(skånska)exists,I WANT TO HEAR?
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

omen of hate wrote:I like the terrific German accent of the guy in THE HAND OF DOOM !!
"There ain't no rrrunnin' away,the Hand of Doom will rrreach you".
Dead-on! One of my all-time favourite vocalists as far as rare albums/underground bands go. Those rrrrrr's would indicate that they were from the south of Germany if I'm not mistaken.
Question for Swedes does the people from Norrland have that special accent?(like those who speek Skånska)
Yes, but it doesn't really show much when it comes to singing. Skånska on the other hand is very distinct when sung, but thankfully I haven't heard much of that in Swedish Metal. I think there's a band or 2 on some of those "Skånsk Rock" compilations from the early 80's, but I forgot which one.

Some french bands singing in accented English sound great, like EXCESS and LUST. The fact that they're great vocalists help a lot of course.
Mr Nuke

Post by Mr Nuke »

DaN wrote:Some french bands singing in accented English sound great, like EXCESS and LUST. The fact that they're great vocalists help a lot of course.
By the way, what do you think of the accent of STEEL ANGEL's singer? It's quite an heavy one but it adds to the charm of the record IMO. That's one fo the few french LPs that I don't think it can sound good sung in french language.
Gott ist tot.