Staying True v/s Staying Original

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

ION BRITTON wrote:"Everything's been done'' might not be a dogma but it ain't a load of BS either, at least as far as heavy fucking metal is concerned. IMHO.
The difficult Staying true to the roots v/s Originality & Inspiration dilemma - a topic worthy of it's own thread? I'm still dreaming of hearing new bands who manages to combine the 2, but it's a bloody sharp edge to walk. I figure if SLOUGH FEG could do it, so should more bands.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

DaN wrote:
ION BRITTON wrote:"Everything's been done'' might not be a dogma but it ain't a load of BS either, at least as far as heavy fucking metal is concerned. IMHO.
The difficult Staying true to the roots v/s Originality & Inspiration dilemma - a topic worthy of it's own thread? I'm still dreaming of hearing new bands who manages to combine the 2, but it's a bloody sharp edge to walk. I figure if SLOUGH FEG could do it, so should more bands.
That's exactly what i'm talking about. How can one be original without forgetting his roots? Most of the newer bands choose to sound 'original', more sophisticated, leaving behind the naivity (and the true force as well) of 80s metal but in the end they sound lifeless, pretentious and more often than not, not metal at all. On the other hand, ''truer'' bands end up sounding dated and quite boring, having hints of that in-your-face and up-your-ass attitude of good old metal though. How many times you find all these elements combined in one in the newer bands? Slough feg is a good case, i would say also Doomsword but they lack in the originality department, they have inspiration and a clear vision though. This topic needs its own seperate thread indeed.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

ION BRITTON wrote:This topic needs its own seperate thread indeed.
Done.

DOOMSWORD was an interesting example. They get by on sheer songwriting skills and "stealing from the best" (well, perhaps not stealing) i.e. old MANOWAR and viking-era BATHORY. The end result is not totally unoriginal - the worst thing you could say is that it's all a bit, well.. obvious. Still they do it better than most.

Gotta run away from work now. Much more to be added on this subject...
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

The list of characteristics "new old" bands should embrace is getting longer. But I think this is inevitable - if we would like to hear more kewl music. IMHO, bands should work hard to embrace them all.

1. Not forgetting the roots.
2. Working hard on sound all their own i.e. be at least slightly original*
3. Not being obvious :arrow: again working hard on sound all their own :arrow: being patient with interweaving of influences in use.

Hmm, there's a lot of contradictions here. But it's necessary to get a balance between them or get past them.

* Anybody read Bulgakov's Master and Margareth? There was an event with a fishmonger selling a fish of second freshness. I have a similar view with slight originality here. Or perhaps faintly hinting originality? Fernando Pessoa, where are you - the world needs you. And I do understand Ion's doubts.
I am ... the One you warned me of
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

:!: An Idea :!: :

Perhaps we should write down a manual for "new old" bands ...
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Noisenik wrote::!: An Idea :!: :

Perhaps we should write down a manual for "new old" bands ...
A manual written with blood, sweat and steel! The Corroseum publications! :D
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

A "METAL Dogma-manifesto"? Cool idea. We could at least start w/ some brainstorming on the subject...

If you look at it from another perspective it really doesn't take that much to create some identy in Metal music. You don't have to go all-out avant-garde and groundbreaking to stand out - "the Devil's in the detail" as they say.
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

The one band that has always remained original for me with songwriting, sound, style, vocals & concept (and art) is VOIVOD! Hands down!!
They have never sounded like anyone! There are bands that sound like Voivod, not the other way around.

The only other band (IMO) is RUSH, once again a huge influence on many bands!
Other bands 'sound like' Rush, and emulate Rush... not the other way around!
:D
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Korgüll wrote:The one band that has always remained original for me with songwriting, sound, style, vocals & concept (and art) is VOIVOD! Hands down!!
They have never sounded like anyone! There are bands that sound like Voivod, not the other way around.

The only other band (IMO) is RUSH, once again a huge influence on many bands!
Other bands 'sound like' Rush, and emulate Rush... not the other way around!
:D
Yeah, Canadians are surely sth special. Must be connected with a north pole - undeniable coolness in both execution and appearance.

I guess I couldn't praise Voi Vod enough. I can get lost easily in each of their releases. They have stolen my soul ages ago. Aaaaaah, I'm falling all apart in ecstasy.

Wonder which band would have enough balls to go their way and get lost successfully - is this really irrepeatable?
EternalTerror

Post by EternalTerror »

i would probably add Deceased to this list, moreso for the fact that every album they've done varies a lot from the previous, but still has their own distinct sound.. one of very few death metal bands that spawned from the late 80s/early 90s that hasn't become boring, uninspired drivel (yet)
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

EternalTerror wrote:i would probably add Deceased to this list, moreso for the fact that every album they've done varies a lot from the previous, but still has their own distinct sound.. one of very few death metal bands that spawned from the late 80s/early 90s that hasn't become boring, uninspired drivel (yet)
And King Fowley is a true metal head to the death! A total champion too!