80s/ 90s Portuguese Metal

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
bigfootkit

Re: 80s/ 90s Portuguese Metal

Post by bigfootkit »

I know you normally don't delve quite this far back in time in regards to content for the Corroseum & this thread is about 80s/90s Portugese Metal, but the two 45s by Xarhanga surely merit a mention when talking about that country's Metal history. Both are heavy as hell by 1973 standards & the passing years haven't taken any of the shine off them, they've lost none of their charm.

I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
Cyrcka

Post by Cyrcka »

Excellent review DaN. Btw the insert doesn't have lyrics (neither do the reissues). Who had them, my good friend Tó Andrade, bassist and composer of the band, who unfortunately passed away. It is indeed a more expensive disc than a rare one.

DaN wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:37 pm I noticed the Portuguese section in the review-archive is pitifully small, so I'll be adding a couple of reviews & rips there too in the coming weeks. We'll start with the rarest of them all(?) :

My own vinyl rip:
Exclusive content for logged in users.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Cyrcka wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:57 pm Excellent review DaN. Btw the insert doesn't have lyrics (neither do the reissues).
Oops, you're right - no lyrics there. Info corrected, cheers! Glad you liked the review - more Portu-Metal to come in a week or 2...

bigfootkit wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:06 am I know you normally don't delve quite this far back in time in regards to content for the Corroseum & this thread is about 80s/90s Portugese Metal, but the two 45s by Xarhanga surely merit a mention when talking about that country's Metal history. Both are heavy as hell by 1973 standards & the passing years haven't taken any of the shine off them, they've lost none of their charm.
Wow! You weren't kidding.. :shock:
This was indeed very Metal for 1973 - and great too! Especially "Acid Nightmare". Was amazed to see there hasn't been any vinyl reissue yet..
Cyrcka

Post by Cyrcka »

DaN wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:07 pm
Cyrcka wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:57 pm Excellent review DaN. Btw the insert doesn't have lyrics (neither do the reissues).
Oops, you're right - no lyrics there. Info corrected, cheers! Glad you liked the review - more Portu-Metal to come in a week or 2...

bigfootkit wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:06 am I know you normally don't delve quite this far back in time in regards to content for the Corroseum & this thread is about 80s/90s Portugese Metal, but the two 45s by Xarhanga surely merit a mention when talking about that country's Metal history. Both are heavy as hell by 1973 standards & the passing years haven't taken any of the shine off them, they've lost none of their charm.
Wow! You weren't kidding.. :shock:
This was indeed very Metal for 1973 - and great too! Especially "Acid Nightmare". Was amazed to see there hasn't been any vinyl reissue yet..

Those 2 singles came out in a unofficial release, mini LP cd.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Cyrcka wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:42 pm
DaN wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:07 pm Wow! You weren't kidding.. :shock:
Those 2 singles came out in a unofficial release, mini LP cd.
This is true, but that release is a reissue of an out & out prog album recorded later by 2 former Xarangha members with those 45 songs added as bonus tracks. Don't know if the combination will please fans of either genre.
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
DaN
Administructor

Re:

Post by DaN »

Cyrcka wrote: Sun May 13, 2012 5:40 pm
Cyrcka wrote:lots of up dates:

http://portugal80smetal.blogspot.com/
Btw, are you still updating the site? I thought it'd be worth mentioning that I just added the very last Portuguese zines I got from Ze's huge collection of scans long ago, which means that Portugal is now one of the most well-covered fanzine-scenes in The Corroseum's fanzine archive. This also means it should be quite a useful resource when researching this scene - at least the 80's and early 90's pre-NewWaveOfDeath/BlackMetal part..

https://thecorroseum.org/fanzines/index ... ar=#search
Cyrcka

Re: Re:

Post by Cyrcka »

DaN wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:46 pm
Cyrcka wrote: Sun May 13, 2012 5:40 pm
Cyrcka wrote:lots of up dates:

http://portugal80smetal.blogspot.com/
Btw, are you still updating the site? I thought it'd be worth mentioning that I just added the very last Portuguese zines I got from Ze's huge collection of scans long ago, which means that Portugal is now one of the most well-covered fanzine-scenes in The Corroseum's fanzine archive. This also means it should be quite a useful resource when researching this scene - at least the 80's and early 90's pre-NewWaveOfDeath/BlackMetal part..

https://thecorroseum.org/fanzines/index ... ar=#search
That is only a small percentage of what I have. Most of what's on my blog I have the originals. Even some months ago I and other fanzine collectors, were discussing about which country had more fanzine publications. Not counting the US, obviously, and having in mind the size of Portugal, and that the vast majority of the publications are from the Lisbon area, I can affirm that it is the country with more published fanzines, if not in the top 3. And I know of the existence of more zines.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Another Portuguese Metal review - sort of. I didn't feel too comfortable with writing much about the music since I'm no expert on the style in question. It's a well-made and absoulutely BEAUTIFUL album, and most importantly: RARE, so I felt it needed to be included in the archive:

I was also going to add a vinyl rip, but then noticed it was reissued on CD only last year, so I passed..

Cyrcka wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:00 pm That is only a small percentage of what I have. Most of what's on my blog I have the originals. Even some months ago I and other fanzine collectors, were discussing about which country had more fanzine publications. Not counting the US, obviously, and having in mind the size of Portugal, and that the vast majority of the publications are from the Lisbon area, I can affirm that it is the country with more published fanzines, if not in the top 3. And I know of the existence of more zines.
Yeah I've had the same feeling about the crazy large Portugal fanzine scene. If you ever feel the urge to digitize and preserve more of these artifacts for coming generations, and even have them added to a searchable database, you know what to do :wink:
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

DaN wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:12 pm Another Portuguese Metal review - sort of. I didn't feel too comfortable with writing much about the music since I'm no expert on the style in question. It's a well-made and absoulutely BEAUTIFUL album, and most importantly: RARE, so I felt it needed to be included in the archive:

I was also going to add a vinyl rip, but then noticed it was reissued on CD only last year, so I passed..
Wonderful artwork. I've checked the reissues and colors on the cover seem to be brighter in appearance. Both logo and title changed its positions, too. Shame.
I am ... the One you warned me of
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

DaN wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:37 pm I noticed the Portuguese section in the review-archive is pitifully small, so I'll be adding a couple of reviews & rips there too in the coming weeks. We'll start with the rarest of them all(?) :

My own vinyl rip:
Exclusive content for logged in users.
I almost forgot to comment on this one: The music is really decent, the cover is really outstanding. Only this yellow net I find quite a bit puzzling. Any info on the author? It seems to be made as a re-creation of event of visit of VDG at Indian or Arab court, though.
I am ... the One you warned me of