80s/ 90s Portuguese Metal

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
rumblefist

Post by rumblefist »

jnfernal

Post by jnfernal »

What about these bands? I can't find any info except their names scattered here and there on some portuguese forum:

-Asgarth
-Blizzard
-Claustrophobia
-Devil Across
-Imnosaur
-Insanity
-Low Valley
-Mac Zac
-Mandrax
-Mantron
-Megasin
-Navan (are they the band Naven ?)
-Necrophiliac (not to be confused with Necrophilia: they have an unreleased Demo in 1990 and a live recording in Amadora in 1988)
-Rufo (a rehearsal recorded in 1988)
-Satanicos (a rehearsal recorded in 1990)
-Sepulchral De Azazel (A demo 1989 with 3 tracks)
-Tao
-Taxu Kent/Tacho Quente:
-Torpedo (1 demo track in 1989)
-Tropa De Choque (2 demos in 1990 and 1991)
-W.A.D.S.
-White Traffic

Plus, I need some other infos:

-Atomic Mushrooms is the previous name of STS Paranoid. They released 2 demos in 1982: are they the "Blood and guts" Demo with 12 tracks often credited to STS Paranoid? Which are the tracks recorded in 1985 by the band, according to the chronology in their website?

-Xeque Mate: it seems theyhave several recorded songs. A first run in 1982 when they recorded 6 songs at Arnaldo Trindade Studios and another 15-tracks session in 1983 at Angel Studio. How come they never showed up? Is it good wirth listening? The Ep and Lp are not bad

-What is the "To Love" Compilation Tape 1991 ?

-The unreleased "Metal Lusitano" compilation due to be out in 1987 with Black Cross, Tarantula, Devil Across, Satan's Saints, Procyon, STS Paranoid, Navan and Blizzard was announced to be re-released on CD (CDR?) a few years ago...in 2006 or 2007 if I remember well (I was working in Qinhuangdao, China, at that time)....then everything seemed fading apart. What happened to this re-release?

-Satan's Saints: I have seen on a portuguese blog a CD with the whole Live Show at the Rock Rendez Vous with 9 tracks...the Live Demo "The power of the night" that I have is 5 tracks only...unfortunately that CD seem unavailable elsewhere and there is nothing else than this front+back cover. The studio song off the Live Demo "The power of the night" is a new version of the Demo 1986 or the same track put as a bonus?

-For the ones who like portuguese metal, I can say that a few albums are available on CD: Alkatheya (simply great!), the 2 Iberia albums (nice digipack editions, I received them signed by all band members) and the cute Ferro & Fogo Lp+2 7" as bonus...good stuff despite no remastering job (the original sound seems almost in mono splitted into the 2 channels!)
rumblefist

Post by rumblefist »

jnfernal wrote:What about these bands? I can't find any info except their names scattered here and there on some portuguese forum:

-Asgarth
-Blizzard
-Claustrophobia
-Devil Across
-Imnosaur
-Insanity
-Low Valley
-Mac Zac
-Mandrax
-Mantron
-Megasin
-Navan (are they the band Naven ?)
-Necrophiliac (not to be confused with Necrophilia: they have an unreleased Demo in 1990 and a live recording in Amadora in 1988)
-Rufo (a rehearsal recorded in 1988)
-Satanicos (a rehearsal recorded in 1990)
-Sepulchral De Azazel (A demo 1989 with 3 tracks)
-Tao
-Taxu Kent/Tacho Quente:
-Torpedo (1 demo track in 1989)
-Tropa De Choque (2 demos in 1990 and 1991)
-W.A.D.S.
-White Traffic

Plus, I need some other infos:

-Atomic Mushrooms is the previous name of STS Paranoid. They released 2 demos in 1982: are they the "Blood and guts" Demo with 12 tracks often credited to STS Paranoid? Which are the tracks recorded in 1985 by the band, according to the chronology in their website?

-Xeque Mate: it seems theyhave several recorded songs. A first run in 1982 when they recorded 6 songs at Arnaldo Trindade Studios and another 15-tracks session in 1983 at Angel Studio. How come they never showed up? Is it good wirth listening? The Ep and Lp are not bad

-What is the "To Love" Compilation Tape 1991 ?

-The unreleased "Metal Lusitano" compilation due to be out in 1987 with Black Cross, Tarantula, Devil Across, Satan's Saints, Procyon, STS Paranoid, Navan and Blizzard was announced to be re-released on CD (CDR?) a few years ago...in 2006 or 2007 if I remember well (I was working in Qinhuangdao, China, at that time)....then everything seemed fading apart. What happened to this re-release?

-Satan's Saints: I have seen on a portuguese blog a CD with the whole Live Show at the Rock Rendez Vous with 9 tracks...the Live Demo "The power of the night" that I have is 5 tracks only...unfortunately that CD seem unavailable elsewhere and there is nothing else than this front+back cover. The studio song off the Live Demo "The power of the night" is a new version of the Demo 1986 or the same track put as a bonus?

-For the ones who like portuguese metal, I can say that a few albums are available on CD: Alkatheya (simply great!), the 2 Iberia albums (nice digipack editions, I received them signed by all band members) and the cute Ferro & Fogo Lp+2 7" as bonus...good stuff despite no remastering job (the original sound seems almost in mono splitted into the 2 channels!)
You can listen some stuff here if you fixed your proxy problem :

LOW VALLEY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w3xwd5j ... ideo_title

ATOMIC MUSHROOMS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzombiKI ... ideo_title

TROPA DE CHOQUE http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNS5jhT_ ... ideo_title

some extras :

PROCYON - LIVE, RRV, 5-6-1988 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSNJzLOQ ... ideo_title

Foto of Navan :

Foto of Devil Across :

Now, your doubts, but beware - we are talking about one of the more obscurer scenes in the world...lots of bands still to discover and it will give you headaches :

-Atomic Mushrooms - how you know is 12 tracks ? (i just know a 10 tracks version of a rehearsal tape)

-Xeque Mate - i saw 1 australian dude speaking of a unreleased LP recordings in tape version, but never heard about demos. Maybe only the band has it. And if i know them no-one will get it. Maybe in a CD reissue later as bonus. The band is now re-activated with only 2 former members.

-To Love Compilation Tape-never heard about it

-Metal Lusitano Double LP - total mystery (Copyrights problems/fights. Lack of money...than lack of interest...when interest came back, no original tapes to put it in a studio to release the vinyl...the tapes disappeared...).

-Satan's Saints - can you put here the back and front of that CD or the link of that blog, so i can see it and tell my opinion ?

-Mac Zac was pre-Tarantula before they changed name and released 1 demo sung in portuguese (that nobody will get it as Tarantula now renegades totally their past. I doubt it will be released as bonus on a possible remastered CD reissue someday. Luis Barros had started working on those remasters in 2007. No daylight til today - ????). Their singer at the time was a blonde guy that had a Rob Halford outfit look and even similar voice. They played at 1st Portuguese Heavy Metal Festival.

Sepulchral - was a brutal Death Metal/Grind/Gore band pre-Bowelrot.

Rufo - was a rehearsal demo and it was released officially but the tape cover has no date. Anyway surely is around 1987 or 1988 and it features a Pedro (Jarojupe guitar player) solo in 2nd song "Like A Child".

Mantron - i saw them live a couple of times and it was chaotic Thrash...i'm still tracking their rare demo. Here's a photo on bottom left page:

jnfernal

Post by jnfernal »

Hello and thanx for the infos.

Well, I know few about portuguese metal of the 80's but, fortunately I can read the language!

I found the following information:

-about Xeque Mate and their 2 unreleased studio recordings:

"Após alguns meses de ensaios deslocam-se à capital para gravar meia dúzia de temas nos Estúdios da Arnaldo Trindade. O primeiro single do grupo, com os temas "Vampiro da Uva" e "Entornei o Molho", é editado, pela Metro-Som, em Maio de 1981....Em 1983 gravam, com produção de Álvaro Azevedo, cerca de 15 temas no Angel Studio mas não conseguem obter resposta positiva de nenhuma das editoras contactadas"

Translation: "After some months spent in rehearsing, they move to the capital in order to record a half dozen tracks at Arnaldo trindade Studios. First single of the band, with songs "Vampiro da uva" and "Entornei o molho" was edited by Metro Som Records in May 1981. In 1983 they record, with the production of Alvaro Azevedo, about 15 songs at Angel Studio but they get no answer from any of the music label they got in touch"

So I presume that the first Studio Session in 1981 uis the one where the 2 songs of the first single came from, while the session 1983 is that "Unreleased Lp" that australian guy was talking about

-About STS Paranoid/Atomic Mushrooms:

In their official homepage, at the chronology page it's listed:

Gravação áudio (Audio recordings)

1983/09 . ATOMIC MUSHROOMS - 1982-83 . Vol I & II

Now, I see often a mysterious demo called "Blood and guts" with 12 tracks listed under STS Paranoid name. As I can't find it anywhere in their chronology, I presume that it's nothing else than the 2 Atmoic Mushrooms (rehearsal?) demos gathered in one tape only and re-released under the name "STS Paranoid".

In 1984 they recorded another demo, "Metal child" with 4 tracks that is easy to find.

They have also a Demo Recording in January 1985: "STS Paranoid '85": no infos, no tracklist, nothing else is known

The 2 tracks recorded in January 1986 (for the unidentified "Frente Portugal") and March 1986 should be those Promo Tracks that we can easily find at Portugalunderground blogspot: "We are apart" and "Evil one"

-About "To love" Compilation, 1991:

on the Iberia webpage there is this passage:

"A editora (Discossete) lança ainda para o mercado uma colectânea “To Love” onde os Ibéria tem uma balada antiga “Lady in Black”, e outra com os vários grupos de Rock que a editora detinha sob a sua alçada onde são retratados os 3 temas que eram para sair no Maxi-Single em 88: “Hollywood – versão extensa”, “Feels Like Love” e o não editado “All Night Flying”.

Translation:

"Music Label Discossete launches a compilation, "To love" in where Iberia are featured with an old rock ballad, "Lady in black", and another compilation with various bands currently signed for the label. Iberia are featured with the 3 tracks taken from their maxi Ep 1988: "Hollywood - extended version", "Feels like love" and the unreleased "All night flying".

I can't find the name of this second compilation as well as I can't find any info, image or rip at all of both compilations and it's pretty strange as they should be pretty easy to find. Maybe nobody paid much attention yet.

-About Satan's Saints full Live at Rock Rendez Vous. As we know their live demo "The power of the night" is taken from this show but it's incomplete.

3-4 years ago on a famous portuguese blogspot appeared this home made CDR with the (apparently) full set, 9 songs:

http://rockemportugal.blogspot.com/2008 ... chive.html

(you need to scroll down the page. I tried to enclose the image here but the result is that I erased completely the message, so I had to write it again)

of course no rip is available and when I tried to get in touch with the administrator of that website, he said that he received only that image and nothing else.

-Mac Zac and early Tarantula recordings: shame that they won't be available, as many other recordings from Portugal in the 80's (I have a long want list and I didn't know Mac Zac as well as Mantron released a demo!). I listened to that Tarantula recording you posted on youtube...it sounds very Mercyful fate-ish but the voice is simply horrible! :D
jnfernal

Post by jnfernal »

Ah, by the way: it's a shame that the "Metal Lusitano" project faded away.

At first, around 2006, it was announced as a real CD, then as a CDR then it simply disappeared. I remember the label accepted pre-orders and payment in advance.

It's a shame because - as far as I know - those recordings made for the unreleased Lp in 1986 never saw the light and never surfaced anywhere else yet
jnfernal

Post by jnfernal »

here the Iberia discography including the 2 compilations I was talking above:

Hollywood/Feels Like Love (Single, Discossete, 1988)
Ibéria (LP, Discossete, 1988)
Heroes Of The Wasteland (LP, Discossete, 1990)
To Love - Colectânea (Cassete), Discossete, 1991)
Estradas de Fogo - Colectânea (LP, Discossete, 1993)
Ibéria - Volume 1 (CD - Digipack, Espacial, 2009)
Heroes Of The Wasteland - Volume 2 (CD - Digipack, Espacial, 2009)
rumblefist

Post by rumblefist »

The demo Power Of The Night of Satan's saints (the live tracks) weren't taken from the live RRV show...the demo was released and spreaded initially in 1986.
The live show in RRV was in 20-6-1987. So, we don't have a match.
I guess the live tracks of the 1st demo were taken from one of the shows they played in Amadora/Queluz/Damaia/Brandoa/Rio De Mouro areas around 1985 or 1986 with Valium, STS Paranoid, V12, White Traffic, Mandrax and others.
jnfernal

Post by jnfernal »

so, this information about the Satan's Saints Live Demo is wrong, as well as the release year, 1987, reported on the metal archives:

"The live tracks were recorded at the Rock Rendez Vous , for the Metal Lusitano sessions"

I know that the sessions for the unreleased Metal Lusitano were held as follows at the Rock Rendez Vous:

Black Cross and Tarantula (10-7-87)
Procyon and S.T.S. Paranoid (13-7-87)
Devil's Cross and Satan's Saints (20-7-87)
Navan and Blizzard (27-7-87)

I can't understand if they were live recording or studio recording: Rock Rendez Vous was a famous festival, so I presume they were live recordings and the date fits.

Are you sure the Live Demo was out in 1986 and those songs are not the recordings of the RRV 1987 ?
jnfernal

Post by jnfernal »

Therefore I found this:

satan's saints(port)-live,rock rendez vous,lisbon,20-6-1987(private)(not to share).rar.html

It has the same tracklist as on the "Power of the night" Live Demo (except for the 1st studio song that is obviously missing) and - despite being a different rip - it is absolutely similar to my rip: same tracklist, same order....

I can't understand....
Cyrcka

Post by Cyrcka »

jnfernal wrote:
I can't understand if they were live recording or studio recording: Rock Rendez Vous was a famous festival, so I presume they were live recordings and the date fits.

RRV was one of the best known nightclubs in Lisbon, Portugal during the 1980s and early 1990s. It's regarded as one of the most important music venues for rock music in Portugal during the 80s.[1] It was located at the ancient Universal cinema place, at the Rua de Beneficência ao Rego. The opening act, in 1980, December, 18th was Rui Veloso.
RRV was closed in 1983, but a petition was made to reopen the club.
rumblefist

Post by rumblefist »

jnfernal wrote:Therefore I found this:

satan's saints(port)-live,rock rendez vous,lisbon,20-6-1987(private)(not to share).rar.html

It has the same tracklist as on the "Power of the night" Live Demo (except for the 1st studio song that is obviously missing) and - despite being a different rip - it is absolutely similar to my rip: same tracklist, same order....

I can't understand....
It's easy buddy. Just listen what the singer says between songs in the RRV live recordings and then compare it with the demo live tracks. You'll conclude it's 2 different recordings (even if they have same setlist and running order)...
jnfernal

Post by jnfernal »

ah, so it's just a matter of same setlist!!!

well, thanx for information!

Just another question: the studio track "The power of the night" on the live demo is the same recording that appears also on the Studio 1986 demo?

Unfortunately I couldn't find that track on the Live Demo but I guess it's the same as on the 1986 demo
rumblefist

Post by rumblefist »

jnfernal wrote:ah, so it's just a matter of same setlist!!!

well, thanx for information!

Just another question: the studio track "The power of the night" on the live demo is the same recording that appears also on the Studio 1986 demo?

Unfortunately I couldn't find that track on the Live Demo but I guess it's the same as on the 1986 demo
Nope...Power Of The Night in that RRV 87 recording you found was edited to be broadcasted in a Radio Show. What i notice is, besides the sound quality improvement, the audience noise was implemented to make listeners believe the band was playing for thousands instead for 300 guys ...the 86 demo Power Of The Night Version was most probably recorded in a studio while in the RRV live is in fact a live recording but edited as i told you previously. Not sure 100% but that is my opinion.
rumblefist

Post by rumblefist »

1st zine ever made in Portugal. It was the official journal of Purgatório Do Heavy Metal Fan-Club and i made part of the team back then. It was released for associates 8 issues between 1984 and 1986 before the Fan-Club ended.

rumblefist

Post by rumblefist »

Ticket of 1st Portuguese HM Festival in 15-december of 1984 organized by Purgatório Do Heavy Metal and Metal Masters Fan-Clubs :

And here's the Poster that we glued in the walls of Lisbon and surroundings back than :