Unholy German Trinity

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...

What's your fave between those three ?

SODOM
44%
KREATOR
32%
DESTRUCTION
25%

Total votes: 73

Fire Down Under

Post by Fire Down Under »

DESTRUCTION, their first three vinyls are killer as hell!!
Marken

Post by Marken »

Not a big fan of any of these bands, but Kreator have three pretty good albums, so they'll get my vote.
Destruction is average and Sodom have always been crap.

The best German thrash-band is by far Paradox.
Lama

Post by Lama »

Marken wrote:Not a big fan of any of these bands, but Kreator have three pretty good albums, so they'll get my vote.

:shock: :? :shock: :? :shock: :?
Kampel Destruction
Marken

Post by Marken »

Lama wrote:
Marken wrote:Not a big fan of any of these bands, but Kreator have three pretty good albums, so they'll get my vote.

Ok, Better Off Dead has a couple of decent tunes, if that's what made your eyes wide open, but that's about it. Never like them, and the last album was horrible.

Or don't you like Paradox? Everybody must like Paradox :D
great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

Marken wrote:
Lama wrote:

Ok, Better Off Dead has a couple of decent tunes, if that's what made your eyes wide open, but that's about it. Never like them, and the last album was horrible.

You should be used to that kind of reaction by now Marken. When it comes to taste, "there's no one like you".

Kreator were crap in Oslo last year though.
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.
Lama

Post by Lama »

Considering Kreator I can follow you, Marken. I like everything up to and including "Renewal" (underrated album!). "Sentence Of Death" and the following two full lengths of Destruction are great, but maybe too raw and underproduced for you. However, stating that Sodom were always 'crap' is a criminal act!! "In The Sign..." and "Obsessed..." may be a matter of taste, but you can't ignore the greatness of "Expurse...", "Persecution Mania", "Agent Orange" and "Tapping The Vein"! That "Better Off Dead" just has a few good songs is true though. Still have to check out some later stuff like "Code Red" and "M-16".

Kreator have been crap live for 15 years. I remember seeing them in 1998 doing a slow version of "Extreme Aggressions"... A couple of weeks ago Tommy Vetterli (ex-Coroner) said in an interview that Mille doesn't listen to metal anymore. He likes pop music. He considers Kreator his day job, just to make some money...
Kampel Destruction
Marken

Post by Marken »

great_knuthulhu wrote:
Marken wrote:
Lama wrote:

You should be used to that kind of reaction by now Marken. When it comes to taste, "there's no one like you".
Well, I guess so, but I find it just as strange everytime I see that people don't find Paradox being one of the best bands ever, In Search Of Sanity by far the best Onslaught-release and stuff like that.
But I'm getting used to it.
Lama

Post by Lama »

Haha, you make me think of my once chief director Nico (HellSpawn magazine). He always liked the 'wrong' albums most ; "Cold Lake", "Endorama", "Strange And Beautiful", "Virtual XI", "Victims Of This Fallen World" (Kataklysm), all later Mortification-albums... It was impossible to get a grip on this guy :)
Kampel Destruction
Marken

Post by Marken »

Lama wrote:Haha, you make me think of my once chief director Nico (HellSpawn magazine). He always liked the 'wrong' albums most ; "Cold Lake", "Endorama", "Strange And Beautiful", "Virtual XI", "Victims Of This Fallen World" (Kataklysm), all later Mortification-albums... It was impossible to get a grip on this guy :)
Hehe, I don't like any of those you mention, although I haven't heard the Mortification-albums except for some tracks on their latest CD.
But I usually like my thrash with a dose of melody, so I guess that's why I think stuff like Paradox and In Search Of Sanity (Onslaught) are some of the best in the field.
And in case you didn't know, Overkill "Ironbound" might be the best thrash-album of all time :D

And in general, american thrash-bands destroys the germans.
Lama

Post by Lama »

Marken wrote:
Lama wrote:Haha, you make me think of my once chief director Nico (HellSpawn magazine). He always liked the 'wrong' albums most ; "Cold Lake", "Endorama", "Strange And Beautiful", "Virtual XI", "Victims Of This Fallen World" (Kataklysm), all later Mortification-albums... It was impossible to get a grip on this guy :)
Hehe, I don't like any of those you mention, although I haven't heard the Mortification-albums except for some tracks on their latest CD.
But I usually like my thrash with a dose of melody, so I guess that's why I think stuff like Paradox and In Search Of Sanity (Onslaught) are some of the best in the field.
And in case you didn't know, Overkill "Ironbound" might be the best thrash-album of all time :D

And in general, american thrash-bands destroys the germans.
I like "Ironbound" too. And some American bands do slay certain German bands, it depends which ones you are talking about. But that's a different discussion. Maybe you should start a topic about that...

Anyway, I voted Sodom, because out of the three, I have most respect for them.
Kampel Destruction
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

Lama wrote: A couple of weeks ago Tommy Vetterli (ex-Coroner) said in an interview that Mille doesn't listen to metal anymore. He likes pop music. He considers Kreator his day job, just to make some money...
That was already happening after Pleasure to Kill
Long Live The Loud !!!
rictusgrin666

Post by rictusgrin666 »

Close call but Kreator on the strength of Pleasure To Kill, esp Ripping Corpse.

And since the thread started to slide in this direction I will say that I think Ironbound is probably the best album released by any of the big ol' thrashers from the 80s. :lol:
You want it to be one way. But it's the other way.
Witchkiller

Post by Witchkiller »

Marken wrote:And in general, american thrash-bands destroys the germans.
i agree ,they're better in basketball..............................

edit: Ironbound best thrash release of all time? I guess drum programming and triggers are essential for "perfection" nowadays.................
All i need is a lady
With more than the average size
Marken

Post by Marken »

Witchkiller wrote: edit: Ironbound best thrash release of all time? I guess drum programming and triggers are essential for "perfection" nowadays.................
I love the drumsound and the drumming of Ron Lipnicki, but it's the strength of the songs that does it for me. Weird.
And yes, I like both "modern" productions and "old school" productions. That's even weirder.
rictusgrin666

Post by rictusgrin666 »

rictusgrin666 wrote:Close call but Kreator on the strength of Pleasure To Kill, esp Ripping Corpse.

And since the thread started to slide in this direction I will say that I think Ironbound is probably the best album released by any of the big ol' thrashers from the 80s. :lol:
Hmm I don't mean "of all time" though, I should say best album released in the last 5 years. Sodom's last couple are up there too.
You want it to be one way. But it's the other way.