Best Albums Of '80

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
tbieri

Post by tbieri »

Keir wrote: Frost and Fire was released by Liquid Flame in 1980 and reissued by Enigma in 1981.
This is what the CIRITH UNGOL Webpage says, but i have the Liquid Flames Copy and it says clearly 1981 !

Popoff's HM-Price Guide says Liquid Flames in 1981 and Enigma in 1984 !
This seems more plausible to me !
I don't think that Enigma existed in 1981 ! My oldest Enigma Records where from 1983.
Rock Beast

Post by Rock Beast »

ANGEL WITCH- s/t
IRON MAIDEN- s/t
BLACK SABBATH - Heaven & Hell
SARCOFAGUS - Envoy of Death
MOTÖRHEAD - Ace of Spades

.. Just to name a few. I still concider these the 5 best ones.
Abyss

Post by Abyss »

tbieri wrote:
Keir wrote: Frost and Fire was released by Liquid Flame in 1980 and reissued by Enigma in 1981.
This is what the CIRITH UNGOL Webpage says, but i have the Liquid Flames Copy and it says clearly 1981 !

I don't think that Enigma existed in 1981 ! My oldest Enigma Records where from 1983.
I assume they could have reissued Frost and Fire on Enigma in 1984 when they were releasing King of the Dead but I can't be 100% sure on that but I see no documentation for that on any websites but its not entirely impossible the only thing I know of is the 1995 release of both of them on cd by One Way Records. I also keep seeing something about a frost and fire picture disc bootleg at various websites.

According to Discogs about Enigma Records California indie label started in 1981. Merged with Restless Records in 1991. Distributed by Capitol Records for many years. Now defunct.
Keir

Post by Keir »

tbieri wrote:This is what the CIRITH UNGOL Webpage says, but i have the Liquid Flames Copy and it says clearly 1981 !

Whoops! I knew I should have checked my LP first. Oddly, though, my copy of Popoff's book doesn't mention anything about the Enigma reissue.
Abyss

Post by Abyss »

The 1999 metal blade reissue does say 1981 as well but I that would be logical if it was the reissue of the enigma one but I was going on info from sources I assume would be from members of cirith ungol themselves so it just goes to show how much conflicting information there is out there.

The Discogs page does not even mention the Cirith Ungol release and the earliest ones they list are from 1982.

Is it that uncertain that no one had added it to discogs or do most people not know about it to add it?

http://www.discogs.com/label/Enigma+Records+(3)
Last edited by Abyss on Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Thanks for the info. Wonder FaF was released in the December 1980 or beginning of 1981, so maybe discrepancies are derived from this.
I am ... the One you warned me of
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Another question regarding release date: I saw on some sites MANILLA ROAD's Invasion could be out already in 1979. Can someone confirm this? Maybe end of 1979 so it could be beginning of 1980 too?
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

ION BRITTON wrote:For me 1984 was the year that Metal reached its highest peak. Defenders of the faith, Hail to England, Sign of the hammer, Ample destruction, Gates to purgatory, WASP, Battle cry, ... and the cannons of destruction have begun, March of the saint, Cloven hoof and the list goes on forever...
I have to agree with this completely.

1984 was the epitome of Metal.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

Noisenik wrote:Another question regarding release date: I saw on some sites MANILLA ROAD's Invasion could be out already in 1979. Can someone confirm this? Maybe end of 1979 so it could be beginning of 1980 too?
No one? So it is 1980 for sure. Although it sounds more like 1979, indeed.
Abyss

Post by Abyss »

Well I'm sure of the music could have been written in 1979, Manilla Road at this point sounds dated for 1980 anyway because of their influences, Its not a bad thing but thats just how it works out, Cirith Ungol and Manilla Road in one form or another should have been releasing music all through out the 70's if there was any justice in this world.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

I'm going to give this one a bump.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

My list:

Angel Witch - Angel Witch
Accept - I'm A Rebel
Black Sabbath - Heaven And Hell
Brats, The: 1980
Cirith Ungol: Frost And Fire (if this one counts)
Diamond Head - Lightning To The Nations
Girl School - Demolition
Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden
Judas Priest - British Steel
Motörhead - Ace Of Spades
Sarcofagus: Envoy Of Death
Saxon - Wheels Of Steel
Scorpions: Animal Magnetism
Tygers Of Pan Tang - Wild Cat
Witchfynde - Give 'Em Hell

if they count then Rush - Permanent Waves as well.

I also enjoy Manilla Road's Invasion time to time but it's really not THAT good to include in best of 1980 list imo.
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

I used the search function on MA to come up with a list and picked some faves from it, came up like this:

Ac/Dc - Back in black
Angel Witch - s/t
Blackfoot - Tomcattin'
Black Sabbath - Heaven and hell
Diamond Head - Lightning to the nations
Hawkwind - Levitation
Iron Maiden - s/t
Judas Priest - British steel
Limelight - s/t
Manilla Road - Invasion
Michael Schenker Group - s/t
Motorhead - Ace of spades
Pepper Porter Band - Invasion
Rush - Permanent waves
Saxon - Wheels of steel
Saxon - Strong arm of the law
Thin Lizzy - Chinatown
UFO - No place to run
Whitesnake - Ready an willing
White Spirit - s/t

OK, some of these are peripheral to metal, but still. And I'm of the "Frost and Fire was probably released in 1981" persuasion
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

How did I miss Thin Lizzy!? NO EXCUSE!
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
Cult_Metal_GR

Post by Cult_Metal_GR »

Judas Priest - British Steel
Iron Maiden - S/T
Warrior (UK) - Let Battle Commence
Saxon - Strong arm of the law
Black Sabbath - Heaven And Hell
Diamond Head - Lightning To The Nations
Angel Witch - S/T
Cirith Ungol - Frost And Fire