Italian Metal of the 80's on vinyl

All vinyl-specific issues goes in this here subforum.
Nonseinormale65

Post by Nonseinormale65 »

198)Wirus -- 1902(1990,mini lp on Video Star)strange quartet from Napoli,imagine a crappy early version of Rhapsody/Sonata Artica(many years before...)with lirycs partly in italian and partly in napolitan dialect :shock: ,recording is very bad,with keys that overlook the guitar;almost impossible to find(as all the Video Star releases)!

199)Witch Hunters(not to be confused with Witchunters,another italian band) -- Cry for the moon(1991,lp on WH,private pressing,300 copies made)formed in Pavia in 1988,they were a keyboard oriented band,with also some dark and nwobhm influences(for those who likes Omega,Saracen and White Spirit);very hard to find,150 euro or more.

200)Witchhunters -- altough they never released a vinyl,this band deserves to be included here as one of the prime mover band in Italy(formed in 1982 from the ashes of Randoms,another metal band,in Spilamberto,near Modena,they never split up and are still active!);they recorded three demos(1986,1987 and 1988),contributed to two compilations with two songs(with "Possessed" in Italian rock invasion vol. 1 in 1987 and with "Deadly news"in Surgery of The Power in 1989),two promo cd in 1993 and 1999 were also recorded,in 1994 WH recorded an official cd(..And It's stormnig Outside,on Underground Symphony,it was the first release for this label!);a second cd called Different Universe was recorded in 1997(but never realised on cd/lp for the failure of the label),musically they used to play epic metal with some prog influences(later,from the second unreleased cd and after some changes in the line up,they played Hard/Aor rock).

201)Wrest -- Livin' in a cage(1989,lp on LM records)formed in Sottomarina(near Venezia)as Black Burn in 1984 this first incarnation of the band recorded three demos(in 198,1985 and 1987)and a track(Free Existentialism)for the compilation "heavy rendez Vous(1988,on LM records),then changed name to avoid confusion with another band and recorded this lp,good heavy/speed metal,not so hard to find(20/40 euro).
Solo i morti hanno visto la fine della guerra.
Helstar

Post by Helstar »

"with lirycs partly in italian and partly in napolitan dialect"

noooooooo I must listen to this ! :lol:
Nonseinormale65

202)Wyvern -- The red flame of pain(1990,lp on Veronica Label,private pressing)good power/speed metal band from Parma,just reissued on cd by Jolly Roger records,lp is becoming hard to find(40/50 euro or more).

203)Wyxmer -- The syre of wyxmer(1991,mini lp on HD records,1.000 coies on crystal clear vinyl made,but only few hundreds actually circulated)quite hard to find(80/90 euro or more) + Feudal Throne(2005,lp and cd on Black Widow records,this release contains 6 newly recorded tracks plus new versions of the 4 tracks from the long out-of-print EP);it also exists a ultra rare dvd video :wink: ,it's a semi - official live bootleg of the reunion show made in Brendola(near Vicenza) in the first of october 2005 during the 2nd Italian Metal Attack(featuring also Skanners,Adramelch,Swords,Synthesis,Dark Ages,X-Hero and Old Flame,they were nothing else but 3/5 of Bloody Skizz and of course played the old stuff).

204)Xenon -- Steal my mind/Song for a dreamer(1983,7" on Umbert records,private pressing,1.000 copies made)formed in 1982 in Villa Potenza(near Macerata),a good example of melodic/prog,hard rock/metal,the style is refined and never boring(for those who likes Rush of the 80's),quite hard to find(30/40 euro);after the split 2/4 of the band formed Era(look at nr° 53).

205)X-Hero -- Brainstorm(as Axe-Hero in 1986,mini lp,bootleg, private pressing;this vinyl issue was made without band's authorization in Yugoslavia,300 copies made,almost impossible to find,it contains 5 tracks taken from the very first demo of the band ) + same(1988,lp,cd and mc on Fly by Night Records)also very hard to find in all the formats(150 euro or more for the lp),formed in 1981 as Axe Hero by Galliazzo Brothers and still active,after a first period(1981/1986)spent playing heavy/epic metal the band changed sound toward melodic/Hard/Aor sound;the singer Mirko"The Fox"Galliazzo is one of the largest italian collector of HM(italian and foreign metal).

206)Ydra -- Ydra 1(1990,lp on New Sanremo Hits)good prog/metal band from Siracusa,this lp is almost impossible to find;from the ashes of this band will arise Fiaba(medieval/prog/metal band,another italian cult!)
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

Somehow I NEED to see this!
Nonseinormale65 wrote:
Old Flame,they were nothing else but 3/5 of Bloody Skizz and of course played the old stuff).
Nonseinormale65

doomedplanet wrote:Somehow I NEED to see this!
Nonseinormale65 wrote:
Old Flame,they were nothing else but 3/5 of Bloody Skizz and of course played the old stuff).
of course i have it :wink: (i don't remember if,together with other stuff, i gave a copy to Dan at last KIT),i will be back home at the end of september,if you want a copy please contact me via pm during the middle of that month.

P.S. Old Flame(the band is on hold from 2007 :cry: )is a Thin Lizzy tribute band,more info at www.myspace.com/oldflametheband or at www.oldflame.it
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

Of course I only want to see it if they do old Bloody Skizz material, not Lizzy covers, argh, what a great band they once were, now old farts doing cover songs, sad.
Nonseinormale65

In the video they played both Lizzy's song and their own stuff :wink:
Nonseinormale65

Compilations(most of them are on http://www.thecorroseum.com/comps/index.html yet,i will add some notes here and there :wink: ):

207)AA.VV. Gathered(1982,lp on Electric Eye,reissued on cd in 2007 on Spittle records -- NOT Metal!,punk/new wave oriented,but includes the first official recording ever by Death ss,1.000 copies made)not so easy to find on lp(beware of bootleg version made in 2002!!!! it's impossible to recognize from the original :shock: ,but it is usually sold still sealed :wink: and it comes for cheap,max 15/20 euro).

side A

01. Into His Gloves - Victrola
02. Venice - State of Art
03. Tokyo Alert - X-Rated
04. Baron Samedi - Not Moving
05. A Correct Adulation of Himself - Blaue Reiter
06. Terror - Death SS
07. Bandana Boys - Dirty Actions

Side B

08. Automation's
09. Waving in the Dark - Style Sindrome
10. Maimed - Wax Heroes
11. Haiti Blues - Eazy Con
12. We Are the Joy - ?AHKOB

208)AA.VV. St. Anthony's Fire(1983,lp on Grillo Rekord -- not only metal,also punk/new wave,very hard to find,50 euro or more).

Side A

Pyramids - Clear Face
San Vito Dance - Boring Sunday
After Shave - A 1000 Of Ice Dreams
After Shave - Touch It
Factory Size - Nuvola Rossa
Factory Size - Picture

Side B

SBA-NDO - Ero Ero Ero È
SBA-NDO - Inedia
Swords - Gallows In The Wind -- metal
Strido - Invasione Al Neutrone -- metal
Strido - Freddo -- metal
Alwerman - 2001 Dragon Man -- metal

All the bands included in this lp were from Padova,Swords recorded two full lenght album later in the 80's and 90's,Alwerman played classical hm and Strido played glam metal,here is the cover artwork:

209)AA.VV. Heavy Metal Eruption(1983,lp with gatefold sleeve on Metal Eye;note that the labels Electric Eye and Metal Eye were both offshoots of the italian magazine "Rockerilla")1.000 copies made,quite hard to find(80/100 euro or more),it was the first italian compilation totally dedicated to HM;see to http://www.thecorroseum.com/comps/hmeruption.html for more details.

210)AA.VV. Italian Metal Vol.1(1985.lp on Flying records)quite easy to find(30/40 euro max.)this compilation was promoted by "Transex"(at that time it was a well known hm records and clothing store in Milano,now closed :cry: ,it was near the cathedral of Milano"Duomo""),it included only bands from the Milano area(with the exception of Steel Crown,they were from Trieste)for more details see http://www.thecorroseum.com/comps/italianmetal.html -- note that Spotlight consisted of formers members of early Vanadium and New Age,the female singers(Rossella Tacco)also sang choruses vith Vanadium during the "Seventh Heaven" tour,btw good blood not mind,Giulia,her 19 year old daughter plays drums in Rougenoire,an all female metal band...
Nonseinormale65

211)AA.VV. Heavy Metal made in Italy(1985,lp on Shirak records)This is one of the rarest italian metal compilation(also due to poor promotion)and it paid particular attention to bands from Torino(with the exceptions of Shining Blade and Gunfire),for more details see at http://www.thecorroseum.com/comps/hmmadeinita.html -- from the ashes of Black Evil(a good power metal demo recorded in 1987,"Gravy Lust",for those who likes Hexx and SA Slayer) will rise Creepin' Death(a thrash metal band with an album recorded in 1988);Black Deal have a tragic history behind and a CD published posthumously a few months ago (i will update soon the "Italian metal on cd" topic).

212)AA.VV. Metallo Italia(1985,lp on Reflex records,gatefold sleeve),not so hard to find(30/40 euro max),it was also released an official VHS(recorded in playback at "The Piper",a roman historic nightclub,this vhs is almost impossible to find today)for more details see http://www.thecorroseum.com/comps/metalloitalia.html -- T.I.R.(their name stands for "Total Inferno Rock")were from Roma(formed in 1980) and recorded(but not released :cry: )a 4 tracks ep in 1984,with ups and downs, breakups and reunions they are still active,from the end of the 80's they are devoted to Priest sound with italian lyrics(http://www.myspace.com/tirrockitalia).

213)AA.VV. Metal Attack(1987,lp on Talent/RCA)this is a an abnormal compilation,promoted and produced by Richard Benson(an anglo/italian guitar player/teacher,he was also a metal dj/vj in several radio and tv in Roma during the 80's,in the 70's he played guitar in an italian Hard/prog band called "Buon Vecchio Charlie");the various line up were assembled for this occasion as backing bands for the guitar players who were all Benson's students(the best known was Max"jena" Smeraldi,an ep with Alter Ego in 1985 and several others project in hm,rock,prog and fusion and still active);for more details see at http://www.thecorroseum.com/comps/metalattackita.html -- not so hard to find(30/40 euro max).

214)AA.VV. Metal Maniac(1987,lp on Durium)produced by Mimmo Prantera(vanadium's bass player)not so hard to find(30/40 euro max)for more details see at http://www.thecorroseum.com/comps/metalmaniac.html
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Helstar wrote:"with lirycs partly in italian and partly in napolitan dialect"

noooooooo I must listen to this ! :lol:
Against all odds I actually used to own this one. I even uploaded the stupid/funny title track for laffs here on the forum a while back. Let me know if you're crazy enough for a full album rip.

NOTE: Marco's amazing work with these discogs will be immortalized as a properly structured Italian Steel-special on The Corroseum webpage in the next few weeks - stay tuned 8)
tbieri

Post by tbieri »

GREAT !!! Including pictures of covers i hope !
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

tbieri wrote:GREAT !!! Including pictures of covers i hope !
Probably only for a couple of them, for "decoration" more than completism. It's a time-issue.
khiijol

Post by khiijol »

do you know if the lipstick demo from 84 in the same vein as the 7"/LP (hard rock/aor) or is it more metal sounding?
Nonseinormale65

khiijol wrote:do you know if the lipstick demo from 84 in the same vein as the 7"/LP (hard rock/aor) or is it more metal sounding?
It's more metal oriented and with english lyrics(but don't expect to hear Iron Maiden or Slayer :wink:,it was still melodic stuff!),after signing the deal with a Major(CGD records)Lipstick softened their sound also because of the producer Red Canzian(bass player in multiplatinum italian pop band "Pooh").
Nonseinormale65

215)AA.VV. Lethal Noise(1988,lp on Amtal Blade records)easy to find(10/20 euro max.)for more details see at http://www.thecorroseum.com/comps/lethalnoise.html

216)AA.VV. Rock bands senza guinzaglio(1988,lp on King Steve records)almost impossible to find(King Steve records was an italian rip-off label :twisted: ,they never promoted their rock/metal bands and sometimes they did the bands pay for recording lp or appearing in compilations,stealing money and never accomplish anything!)this compilation is Hard rock/melodic metal and Aor oriented,almost all the bands are/were totally unknown :shock: (with the exceptions of Shabby Trick that later recorded an album and Laysan,a good melodic metal band with a couple of demos)never saw/heard other stuff from them!

Side A:

1)Res Majes -- the girl and my life -- hard/melodic -- decent
2)Laysan -- the dust of time -- class/melodic metal -- very good
3)Estrofitto -- questa notte(italian lyrics) -- aor deluxe -- very good
4)Shygun -- Dangerous Nigth -- Street/Glam - decent
5)Prince od Diequirie -- perle(italian lyrics) -- aor/funk -- very good
6)The Old Flight - the frail cloud -- hard/prog -- decent

Side B:

7)Progress - Naufrago - class/prog -- very good(italian lyrics,it seems an outtake from Rush's Power Windows!)
8)Mediorente - everything is all right --- hard/street metal-- decent
9)Megahertz -- strade(italian lyrics) -- class/melodic metal -- good
10)Tiper -- Heavy Pink -- street metal -- decent
11)Ricci -- Quanta strada(italian lyrics) -- aor/class -- good
12)Shabby Trick -- Yellow Shadows -- glam metal-- good
13)Canelogue -- Night of Fire -- Hard/street metal -- decent

217)AA.VV. not just spaghetti and mandolini(1988,lp on Amtal Blade records)quite easy to find(15/30 euro max.)for more details see at http://www.thecorroseum.com/comps/notjustspaghetti.html

Note that both Skull and Whitefire recorded a full lenght album(Skull in 1986 and Whitefire in 1989)but they were never released(Skull because of a fraud suffered by a label and Whitefire because of the label failure,cdr copies circulate among collectors).