Insane ebay auctions - CD

...and all CD issues goes here.
perishinflames

Post by perishinflames »

Indeed. Other day I noticed the Pony Canyon reissue of Mind Wars labeled (Erstauflage). Hell it's not even the first Japanese pressing, I think its '93?

Besides that, going by catalog number syntax the German Steamhammer CD was released in 1988. So you're right that there's a one year difference, just not in the direction you thought :wink:
Helstar

Post by Helstar »

perishinflames wrote: Besides that, going by catalog number syntax the German Steamhammer CD was released in 1988. So you're right that there's a one year difference, just not in the direction you thought :wink:
So SPV 85-7530 means it was released in 1988 ? So the first cd press is the barcode one ^^ ?
perishinflames

Post by perishinflames »

85-7529 wac the Sentence of Death / Infernal Overkill CD, released in 88, so it stands to reason with Assassin being 7530 that it was as well. Europe was slower to adopt the UPC standard than America, which could explain why the US version would have one even if it was released first.
Helstar

Post by Helstar »

Well duh, either way I'm surely keeping the one I already have :)

But yes these missings UPC in european cds really confuse people on MS I guess... when I add a cd I almost never put 'first press' info.
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

"First press" info is a gimmick devised to pimp up sales. Like for instance Sentinel Steel have re-pressed MR-Mystification 5 times already. Can you tell which one was the first press? Of course not since the same glass matrix and same booklet files are used. So even if it was re-pressed yesterday, it is completely identical to the first press from year 2000
Helstar

Post by Helstar »

There are always ways to understand, but yes I agree that in these particular circumstances it's indeed impossible and totally unuseful to try and find a 'first press'.
Those cds will never achieve big money anyway, that's sure =)
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

Given that TENSION - Epitaph can sell for $150+ everything is possible. Stupidity has no boundaries.
Helstar

Post by Helstar »

You know also what is the equation.
Huge demand : low availability = high prices.
Of that Tension pressing there aren't exactly thousands and thousands of copies I guess. Maybe 500 ? 1000 ?
Ok 150$ is still a lot, but if there would be a lot of auctions (like the Manilla Road cd) after a while you'd see Tension cds at 10$ buy it now and nobody buying them (like it was until 2003 !).

If you are assuming the guy is still printing copies, then he's doing fine on a commercial point of view (I mean, not offering all of them at once but just one by one). He's playing his card well. Not really 100% honestly but ... :lol:

I think that in another 5-10 years some YOUR cds will make those prices (for example a couple of those you haven't in your own stock anymore) ;)
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

It only takes two crazy bidders with deep pockets to create such "huge demand"

I'm not assuming the guy is still pressing copies. I was told by Denis from Sentinel Steel that a re-release of this title is imminent.

Now IF the guy already re-pressed it and that's why he have multiple brand new copies of seemingly sold out and oop title... then I'd call this unfair exploitation of both fans and the band. It is suitable for opportunists like vegascds to line up their own pockets by such tactics, but definitely not good practice for a decent label.

I'd be happy if some of my own titles become sought after in 5-10 years. But if I still have copies to sell then, it wont be coz I'm secretly re-pressing for exclusive ebay sales :wink:

P.S. having said all that I'm sure the Metalgrind guy is not such person and once he (or Divebomb) represses that title it will be easily obtainable everywhere at regular prices.

P.S.S. By the way I do have some of my older titles on clearance sale as I need to make room for the upcoming ones. If anyone here want to invest and buy the entire remaining stock and control the market, please ask. Some of the prices are dirt-cheap below manufacturing cost, when entire remaining stock of particular title is bought.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

perishinflames wrote:Besides that, going by catalog number syntax the German Steamhammer CD was released in 1988. So you're right that there's a one year difference, just not in the direction you thought :wink:
CAT Number syntax isn't always accurate. If you view the Metal Labels Index feature here on the Corroseum, you will notice that upon viewing several labels that the years do not always correspond directly with the CAT Numbers. This is often attributed to bands having signed a contract in an early stage with the label and having a CAT Number assigned to they're release and then the album is later delayed down the road for whatever reason. The release behind that one is finished earlier and ends up being released earlier, throwing the order out of sequence.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
perishinflames

Post by perishinflames »

True, but in this case its pretty certain since both albums in question are reissues of earlier vinyl only releases. Plus they're right in the middle of SPVs huge wave of 1988 reissues, so there's no doubt in my mind that these are from '88.

And now on topic... Pixie Killers :shock:
Nebuchadnezzar

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
perishinflames

Post by perishinflames »

Is it randomcoils vs. thrashking? :lol:
Nebuchadnezzar

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

No it's a Spanish guy as I know (trying to beat the crazy Japanese lol!!)
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

perishinflames wrote:True, but in this case its pretty certain since both albums in question are reissues of earlier vinyl only releases. Plus they're right in the middle of SPVs huge wave of 1988 reissues, so there's no doubt in my mind that these are from '88.

And now on topic... Pixie Killers :shock:
Oh, I agree with you. I was just pointing out that catalogue sequences aren't always an accurate source.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."