Now Playing Thread (2010 edition)

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Avenger wrote:
ION BRITTON wrote:ENFORCER - Classic Chicago Metal

Some great crushing riffs mixed some not-so-great ones and choruses that fail to impress me. Uneven stuff.
Is this the Stormspell release?

Is this all re-recorded material?
Yes, it's the one Stormspell put out a few months ago. It contains the original demo recordings plus a lot of tracks from rehearsals from the old days and the sound is pretty good. Haven't seen the DVD yet, but I think it features a live show from the recent reunion of the band.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

HELLHAMMER - Demon Entrails
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

ION BRITTON wrote:
The Erlking wrote:np. Headless Cross and Tyr 8)
You can't play the one without playing the other as well, both go hand in hand.
You know I really can't compare Ozzy, Dio and Martin against each others (I mean their Black Sabbath stuff. Solo shit is a different story) but the only albums I sometimes listen to for the vocal performance alone are Martin's. G-O-D-L-Y.
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Dude, you are telling this to a man who's considering Headless Cross and TYR one of the best 5 heavy metal albums of all times? :lol:

Tony Martin can't be compared to Ozzy, not because Ozzy is better or anything, their style is very different. However he's not very far from Dio's style. Needless to say that I prefer Martin's perfomances.

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

I must admit that I have a terrible lack of knowledge about BLACK SABBATH post Gillan-era. What is the best album to start with ? I only know "Seventh Star" with Glenn Hughes on vocals which is not that great ...
The Tony Martin era is a mystery to me ...
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

omen of hate wrote:I must admit that I have a terrible lack of knowledge about BLACK SABBATH post Gillan-era. What is the best album to start with ? I only know "Seventh Star" with Glenn Hughes on vocals which is not that great ...
Try to find a way to listen to Headless Cross and TYR IMMEDIATELY!

Both in the same style, epic and proud heavy metal the Sabbath way. TYR has a great 'northern' atmosphere as some songs are dealing with themes from the Scandinavian mythology.
I really don't from where to begin with those two albums, every song is a milestone, honestly these are albums whose influence on me is very hard to describe.

omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

ION BRITTON wrote:
omen of hate wrote:I must admit that I have a terrible lack of knowledge about BLACK SABBATH post Gillan-era. What is the best album to start with ? I only know "Seventh Star" with Glenn Hughes on vocals which is not that great ...

Both in the same style, epic and proud heavy metal the Sabbath way. TYR has a great 'northern' atmosphere as some songs are dealing with themes from the Scandinavian mythology.
I really don't from where to begin with those two albums, every song is a milestone, honestly these are albums whose influence on me is very hard to describe.
Thanks for the tip, I'll try to buy both this week-end.
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

ION BRITTON wrote:However he's not very far from Dio's style. Needless to say that I prefer Martin's perfomances.
Yeah he actually sounds a bit like DIO at times.
Last edited by The Erlking on Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

ION BRITTON wrote:
Both are excellent shots but I'd say that Tyr is slightly more consistent one. I started with Headless though.
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

What's a yonker?
"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

WOLFBANE - st
BATHORY - The Return
heavymetalmaniac

Post by heavymetalmaniac »

Riot - Fire Down Under CD (Metal Blade Version)
This one is far bettter than the High Vaultage edition. It has a much better sound and is - in my opinion - the best cd version of this album.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Running Wild - Gates To Purgatory
Running Wild - Branded And Exiled

These two albums must be played back to back in my opinion.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

Cities-Not alone in the dark

i always thought this album is one of those that need many spins first until u actually enjoy it to the max
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

MEXDefenderOfSteel wrote:Cities-Not alone in the dark

i always thought this album is one of those that need many spins first until u actually enjoy it to the max
Good album anyway