Bad NWOBHM

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
nightsblood

Re: Bad NWOBHM

Post by nightsblood »

And the thread isn't entitled "Bands BbT&D Worships" either.
'Bad' is TOTALLY subjective. Thus, this thread is simply people's opinions of which bands they think are bad. You're never gonna generate an Absolute True list of 'bad' bands or 'good' bands b/c everyone's tastes vary. If you read my original post, I even pointed that out:

(paraphrased) "if you agree with the bands on someone's list, you can trust their recommendations more. If you disagree with their list, you should be leery of any recommendations they make b/c you have different tastes".

That's all the thread does. My saying "Hell is awful" doesn't make it an absolute truth any more than you saying "Hell is awesome!" makes it absolute truth. You like 'em, I don't. It's not a question of who's right or wrong, it's just opinions.

Take-home lesson: we probably shouldn't take each other's recommendations too seriously; if I say something sucks you might like it, and vice verse.

Buried By Time and Dust wrote:The Topic wasn't what NWOBHM Nightsblood liked.The Topic was about Bad NWOBHM and some people visit this board for references so they should know that some of the acts you mentioned aren't bad NWOBHM but just bands you don't care for.They aren't bad.

nightsblood wrote:.
Re: to those sniping at people for giving honest answers- Would you rather have people claim to love those seminal albums when they really don't? Last time I checked that's pretty much the definition of 'poser'. I could claim to love Hell to look more 'true' or whatever, but screw that; they just don't appeal to me and I'm not gonna lie about it. I like what I like, and I don't like what I don't like, which is all the topic asked. I don't think there will ever be an album that 100% of metal fans like or dislike, so there's no point in harshing on folks for disagreeing with your tastes. Get over it
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

GJ wrote:
Avenger wrote:funny
"Silly" is the word you were looking for! :?
"Daft" actually.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Avenger

Re: Bad NWOBHM

Post by Avenger »

nightsblood wrote:'Bad' is TOTALLY subjective.
And that's the moral of the story.

The term is fully based on opinion.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
The Knell

Post by The Knell »

Hell is not bad at all but especially the 7" is way too overrated. On the other hand, what about sweet home alabama - Marseille? I dont even know what's Metal about them, silly boogie rock...
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

The Knell wrote:Hell is not bad at all but especially the 7" is way too overrated. On the other hand, what about sweet home alabama - Marseille? I dont even know what's Metal about them, silly boogie rock...
The Marseille debut is awesome heavy rock 'n' roll. I can see why people would call them metal, especially back then. The other records ofcourse are completely metal-unrelated.
nar marratuk

Post by nar marratuk »

Professor Black wrote:Diamond Lil
(quite dull)
I would never have called DIAMOND LIL nwobhm since they were around the mid 70's....but I must say I quite like the 7" myself. It's not bad Chris!!
I was born on a dark winter night thunder and lightning greeted me...
DTP

Post by DTP »

man, lotsa DEMON-hate goin on here, i love their first 3, some of it sounds like an eviler MEATLOAF :lol:
formally 'Hellpreacher'
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

eviler? Evil doesn't even come to mind when thinking of Meatleaf. Meatloaf is more like cheese then meat, or loaf.
metaljunkie

Post by metaljunkie »

so here are my five cents...
IMO there is not so much any 'Bad' NWoBHM, but heaps of mislabeling of AOR, Prog and plain Rock bands as NWoBHM.
You can find lots of examples, take Dagaband and lots of others, as discussed here already - what do some of these bands have to do with metal at all?
DTP

Post by DTP »

Black Axe wrote:eviler? Evil doesn't even come to mind when thinking of Meatleaf. Meatloaf is more like cheese then meat, or loaf.
so you're saying "you took the words right outta my mouth" isn't all that sinister? :wink:
formally 'Hellpreacher'
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

Interesting thread since I think both Mithrandir singles slay. If anyone has their "Magick" 7" and thinks it sucks, please sell it to me.