Just curious, anyone ever thought about quitting Metal?

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
metalmaster

Post by metalmaster »

is there any sense in life without metal?

I only got bored of Death and Black metal when both styles started to be very popular and later getting boring, non interesting and very few exciting. But have never got bored of Heavy, speed, thrash, doom and power, i still listen to my old death and black stuff, but I hardly will but a new album of these two mentioned styles.
Satan is Our Pal

Post by Satan is Our Pal »

I did from around 1992-2008, just got bored to death with Metal, I needed a break to explore all different musical genres. I sold everything for next to nothing and didn't think twice about it. In 2008 I stumbled upon an old Bathory LP cheap, then I was hooked again.

Listening to Metal with 'adult' ears was an amazing/humorous experience, enjoying the music on many new found levels. Now I'm a fucking nut on the music again, still buying and selling as I please though.
Battlescarred The Story of Ebony Records
www.myspace.com/476306938
daniel wrote: Mr. ultimate metalmaster.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Satan is Our Pal wrote:I did from around 1992-2008
Holy shit that's quite a long time man! I'm glad you came back to the family though.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

Quitting in 1992, understandable.
Satan is Our Pal

Post by Satan is Our Pal »

Black Axe wrote:Quitting in 1992, understandable.
It is, I was sick of all the Death/Gore/Black metal, no variation little imagination. The final nail in the Metal coffin was seeing Cannibal Corpse, they just were terrible screaming at the crowd "your fucking sick" yep sick of this utter shite. I went home and sold most of my records the next day, I was just so fucking jaded with the genre, I needed a clean break. Falling in love with the genre again is nothing short of great though. This Corroseum has been my becon in all things Metal I salute you all.
Battlescarred The Story of Ebony Records
www.myspace.com/476306938
daniel wrote: Mr. ultimate metalmaster.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Agreed.

When grunge bands start appearing on Headbanger's Ball then you know there is something wrong.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
GJ

Post by GJ »

Avenger wrote:
Agreed.

When grunge bands start appearing on Headbanger's Ball then you know there is something wrong.
HBB wasn't that pleasant earlier either. Lot's of hair-dos and some bay area thrash...
®O©O

Post by ®O©O »

Yes, i had that moment around 96-97. I started with thrash metal in '88 that lead to death metal ('90 till '94) and went to early black metal which lead to...shit...
From than stuff for me as Metalmaster said : "styles started to be very popular and later getting boring, non interesting and very few exciting " I just didn't liked what was on scene.
By the end of '96 I was done and next '97 i listened only like Loreena Mckennitt and couldn't find myself in anything else... I hang with my friends, some listening only heavy/power others listening only death/black, but i was like in musical vacuum, interested in nothing. And than at the end of '97 one of my black metal friend wanted my cd from COF – Vempire for something he had and wanted to get rid off. It was „Hellish crossfire“!!!
I had that forgotten tape with bad sound laying somewhere in the box waiting to be thrown and now listening it in full clear sound, remembering how great this once was...wow...and than it hit me, speed/thrash metal, that was it! I was back! Than bought Carrion cd than Living death than Violent force , Vectom... so here i am still collecting rare sm/tm records and don't wan't to end! :D
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

GJ wrote:
Avenger wrote:
Agreed.

HBB wasn't that pleasant earlier either. Lot's of hair-dos and some bay area thrash...
I'll take "Hair-dos" :lol: over grunge any day...
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
daniel

Post by daniel »

No I haven't. If people say they quit cos of death/black/whatever maybe they should have listened to some real metal instead and not thought the world centred around that shit. It's funny how lots of death/black people are so fucking serious and intense, but it's mostly those people who need 'breaks', and I've seen it happen to people I know, to me this just says it was more about show and creating some sort of macho shield from the world.

To be honest, Satan Is Our Pal seems a bit 'cocky' at times seeing as you quit metal for 16 years.
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.
Blood RED

Post by Blood RED »

Avenger wrote:
Agreed.

Same for me... I was in the university when grundge began. Also fucken Brit pop DJs were makin huge propaganda against metal! Punks' revenge:)
And numetal was the last point...

Well I quit metal but it didn't quit me. After listening to every kind of rock, blues and fusion(jazz), I came back to where I belong. And thanks for this forum and completists for showing me a new horizon and a lot of new bands all around the world... A long way to go, I'm just in the primary school (NWOBHM) yet :D
GJ

Post by GJ »

OT: I'll take grunch (in norse grunsj) :D over what all those "alternative" or "brit-rock" bands (whatever they used to call it) which Kerrang! used to gorge themselves on during most of the nineties (do they still?).

And I still can't fucking take seeing that Therapy dude's face. Yuk!

God! That felt good.

Appendix:

Admit to quite liking Blew by Nirvana upon first listen - still probably would, were I to hear it again.
great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

I kind of quit in the 90s, must've been around '92. I was at uni at the time and I felt there was no new metal coming out that was very interesting, so I stopped looking for new stuff. I started collecting 70s hard rock, prog and folk but kept on listening to 80s metal so in that sense I didn't really quit. I just didn't pay attention to new stuff anymore. What really made me "come back" was the Internet and forums such as this. And discoverint that there had been good metal coming out all along, it just took more effort to find it.
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.
daniel

Post by daniel »

Stopping looking for current bands can't ever really be classed as quitting though can it, only completely giving up even listening to metal can...
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.
Voland

Post by Voland »

®O©O wrote: By the end of '96 I was done and next '97 i listened only like Loreena Mckennitt and couldn't find myself in anything else...
I really like Loreena, especially the The Book of Secrets.