Just curious, anyone ever thought about quitting Metal?

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
msp

Post by msp »

Voland wrote:"I was too busy supporting my football team around the country"

May I ask you what team?

Did the same 1993-2002. Now I'm too lazy and stick to the home games though... But it was great times and lot of sick trips and games... haha.
Tottenham Hotspur. All home & away games. Stopped going to the away games as it was costing too much (ticket + train + food + beer etc.) and also that the team was shit
Remember kids, only high priced rarities are true...
Voland

Post by Voland »

msp wrote:
Voland wrote:"I was too busy supporting my football team around the country"

May I ask you what team?

Did the same 1993-2002. Now I'm too lazy and stick to the home games though... But it was great times and lot of sick trips and games... haha.
Tottenham Hotspur. All home & away games. Stopped going to the away games as it was costing too much (ticket + train + food + beer etc.) and also that the team was shit
Ok! And yes, also very time consuming. I follow Hammarby IF (also shite), and Sweden is actually a pretty big country. Buss 500-1000 km for a game, then home again (Luleå, Umeå, Sundsvall, Trelleborg, Malmö... etc.) Also went to some games in other countries when we qualified. Belgrad was pretty tough... hehe.

(Also been to a couple of Spurs Games. But must been like 15 years since last one.)

PS. Sorry about being off topic.
'pataphysicien

Post by 'pataphysicien »

no. I always have an ear for other genres, but I always find myself gravitating towards metal. never lead the 'lifestyle', never was in 'metal cliques'. sure I have friends that listen to metal, but I see few of them more often than occasionally at gigs. I also don't feel that I could exhaust metal for myself, there is still so much great stuff to discover, old and new. and even within metal my tastes always develop, so there is no monotony there.
surfacer wrote:Do you know ?

because of stupid like you. Died My old friend Jon Nödtveidt.
Sacrilegio

Post by Sacrilegio »

I find that sometimes I temporarily burn out on metal, but it's usually remedied within a couple of days. I try to diversify what I listen to so I don't get sick of any one type of music. The only metal that I "quit" was black metal because I can't stand the ideologies and general attitude of the "scene" as a whole. There are a couple of black metal bands I like, but I try to distance myself from it.

Metal isn't a lifestyle. Sometimes I wear a metal shirt or a denim/leather jacket, but normally I dress in regular clothing. I don't look like I'm into metal. I only have one friend who is into metal, but he is focusing more on ambient music(mainly creation of it). When I was a teenager I only had that one metal friend, and one other friend who liked some metal bands. I was in an isolated environment and the first time I met another metal fan I had been listening to metal for three years.
Witchkiller

Post by Witchkiller »

nope..............

but there's nothing wrong if a life long metalhead fells like "calling it quits" with metal. I mean i don't remember signin' no contract about life long devotion etc etc etc when i started listeni' to metal
All i need is a lady
With more than the average size
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

Witchkiller wrote:nope..............

but there's nothing wrong if a life long metalhead fells like "calling it quits" with metal. I mean i don't remember signin' no contract about life long devotion etc etc etc when i started listeni' to metal
If you really believe that, you should ask the Devil!
Rob

Post by Rob »

Witchkiller wrote:I mean i don't remember signin' no contract about life long devotion etc etc etc when i started listeni' to metal
I remember signing something like that when I was young and barely could write. It was a red mister with some nice looking horns.

It seems that I sold my soul... TO ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
6is9
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

I have thought about quiting certain aspects of the so-called metal 'lifestyle', but I can't remember me thinking about quiting listening to metal. I mean, I can't imagine myself stop listening to Defenders of the faith, Thundersteel, One foot in hell, Ample destruction etc, this music is very important to me and its influence on me cannot be taken lightly. On the contrary, I think I'm getting more and more addicted to it as time goes by. We have passed the point of no return long time ago and we are NOT regretting it!
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Shadow Kingdom

Post by Shadow Kingdom »

No. I love metal. I have nothing else to spend my extra money on and besides buying an albums is a lifetime of enjoyment.
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

ION BRITTON wrote:, I think I'm getting more and more addicted to it as time goes by. We have passed the point of no return long time ago and we are NOT regretting it!
that sums it up, i dont really understand what "metal lifestyle" stands for but sure its been a part of my life and im sure it will continue like that...on the contrary of u guys, i do listen HM all the time,oh yea sometimes classic rock, but thats it havent found any other music genre interesting for me, sure there r fun songs every now n then non metal,of course, but sorry,no other interests in me.

if anything,the only day ill quit is once i have every single album/record/Cd i want...and that of course, wont happen anytime soon :roll:
mega_lodon

Post by mega_lodon »

Sometimes a serious Metalhead can just run out of steam after a period of time (note: I'm not talking about those young hipsters). There are reasons and money is usually the main problem (we're living in a world of capitalism afterall). Some people choose to give up when hard-pressed; some people still persist b'cos they can't find other interst to occupy their time.... There are also lucky ones who can afford to maintain a "balanced" lifestyle, hope you know what I mean.
Few people moved on to make Metal as a part of his/her job like open his own Metal label or shop (or put up a webzine, whatever). And that's where they receive pushing force consistently.

I see nothing wrong if a Metalhead quits and moves on in pursuit of his other dreams. Not long ago I happened to bump into an old Metal friend in the street. He told me he's about to leave the country as he found a woman he loved in overseas. I gave him my best wishes. :)
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

Nicko McBuff wrote:No. Never.
Ditto.

I quit smoking though, 11 years ago :lol:
Witchkiller

Post by Witchkiller »

Black Axe wrote:
Witchkiller wrote:nope..............

If you really believe that, you should ask the Devil!
Asked him twice yesterday my man.

I said "hey Loo (short for Lucifer ,he like's it when i call him Loo) can you check your back contracts my man 'cause i don't think i signed one 20 years ago". He said "let me see Witchy ,eeeehh, no man ,don't see you signed any. You can sign now if you want". But i said "no can do Loo ,i sold my soul to Jhon Lee Hooker ,so....... sorry man". And he said "that's ok bro. One soul less, ican live with that".
All i need is a lady
With more than the average size
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Witchkiller wrote:Asked him twice yesterday my man.

I said "hey Loo (short for Lucifer ,he like's it when i call him Loo) can you check your back contracts my man 'cause i don't think i signed one 20 years ago". He said "let me see Witchy ,eeeehh, no man ,don't see you signed any. You can sign now if you want". But i said "no can do Loo ,i sold my soul to Jhon Lee Hooker ,so....... sorry man". And he said "that's ok bro. One soul less, ican live with that".
Hahah...

Okay...
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Piotr Sargnagel

Post by Piotr Sargnagel »

I love Metal but my reasons for loving it have changed over the years. I now longer need to rebel against anything like I did when I was young. But Metal charges me up sometimes in a way that other music can't. I also don't listen to Metal exclusively. When I was in my early twenties I gravitated towards other music because I thought I didn't enjoy Metal anymore but I had become blinkered by listening to one genre exclusively and I this was Black Metal! It took me a while to realise that there is so much other music that goes under the umbrella term of "Heavy Metal" and not just what I was restricting myself to listening to.

So the answer is no!