80's Metal fanzines - discussions/tips/page-feedback (CONTRIBUTORS WANTED!)

Discussions and comments on The Corroseum website, its articles, features and reviews.
humus

Post by humus »

Didn't snaps from this forum bought a shitload of old zines last year?

I have a few but mostly in the extreme metal department.
Chafe

Post by Chafe »

DaN wrote:What I wanna know is who around here collects or owns any NWOBHM/classic Metal/Thrash zines from the 80's and if they are willing and able to scan them?
I can scan the Anarcheology #3 (Chilean Zine, written in spanish, 1989 I think), it mainly THRASH. Also I can scan Injurious Expressions #2 (Chilean Zine, written in english, 1990, DEATH/THRASH).
In PDF I have some others old chilean zines too.
DMR

Post by DMR »

I think this is an awesome idea. Unfortunately, I won't be able to contribute because the zines I have are all from the mid-late '90s and I don't have a scanner.
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

I have some (late 80's, early's 90). Mostly thrash/death 'zines.
khiijol

Post by khiijol »

here is the stuff i've found... again, these aren't my scans, but very relevant to my interests:

necronomicon #1
sepulchral #1
blowing thrash #1
butcher zine #1, #2
infernal death #5
cementary zine #1
mortuary zine #1, #2
dethroner zine #2, #3

http://www.sendspace.com/file/h9hpyd

all of this except for blowing thrash are late 80s/early 90s polish death/thrash/grind zines, which is a scene i've been exploring pretty in depth lately and how i came across these in the first place. most of them are in polish which is a language i can't understand, but they contain a wealth of cool pictures, logos and artwork

blowing thrash is a chilean zine from the mid 80s

only one of these is in pdf form, but i could convert the rest to pdf and crop and retilt some of the pages that came out a bit crooked. i'd imagine these are only a small example of whats already out there, and i agree that it would be cool to at least put together a bibliography of sorts. that french zine library is pretty fucking cool and i would definitely be willing to help put something like that together

unfortunately most of the zines i have hard copies of are either lame ones that i got for free from the late 90s, or more recent stuff like morbid tales and snakepit that i wouldn't want to scan based on the fact that these are in print and wouldn't want to hurt the profits of their creators who obviously both put a lot of work into them. i'd certainly like to expand my collection of physical copies of this kind of stuff
Chafe

Post by Chafe »

khiijol wrote:blowing thrash is a chilean zine from the mid 80s
That zine was written by Anton Reisenegger of Pentagram. First two issues are written in spanish, the third one is written in english.

Here's the link with the three issues of Blowing Thrash: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=03MJ8UV1

Also, could someone please translate the EXORCIST interview in Butcher Zine #1???
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

im pretty sure "metalmaster" a.k.a. Jose Luis could be useful in this thread :wink:
khiijol

Post by khiijol »

Chafe wrote:
khiijol wrote:blowing thrash is a chilean zine from the mid 80s
That zine was written by Anton Reisenegger of Pentagram. First two issues are written in spanish, the third one is written in english.

Here's the link with the three issues of Blowing Thrash: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=03MJ8UV1

Also, could someone please translate the EXORCIST interview in Butcher Zine #1???
i'd like to read a translation of that too... unfortunately google doesnt work so well with polish. voices from the grave is a monumental recording, probably my favorite thing to come out of poland aside from the first kat lp

thanks for the other blowing thrash issues - i didnt know the pentagram dude was behind it
great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

Most of my 80s zines are long gone, but I think I've still got the Norwegian Streetfighter zines somewhere. They're all in Norwegian and contents are mostly mainstream metal stuff, however, it was the 'zine responsible for the great Norway Rocks sampler LP in 1987, so there might be some stuff on the bands from that in one or two of the issues.
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

OK, I've pretty much made up my mind about having some sort of zine-library on the site. This could be made in a number of different ways and at the moment I need to concentrate on the compilation page, but it's cool to read what people have at home so keep posting. And if you have the time and the knowhow, start scanning! :)
GJ

Post by GJ »

great_knuthulhu wrote:Most of my 80s zines are long gone, but I think I've still got the Norwegian Streetfighter zines somewhere. They're all in Norwegian and contents are mostly mainstream metal stuff, however, it was the 'zine responsible for the great Norway Rocks sampler LP in 1987, so there might be some stuff on the bands from that in one or two of the issues.
They also were decent enough to interview Mark Shelton... you didn't see much of that back then (late eighties).
great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

GJ wrote:
great_knuthulhu wrote:Most of my 80s zines are long gone, but I think I've still got the Norwegian Streetfighter zines somewhere. They're all in Norwegian and contents are mostly mainstream metal stuff, however, it was the 'zine responsible for the great Norway Rocks sampler LP in 1987, so there might be some stuff on the bands from that in one or two of the issues.
They also were decent enough to interview Mark Shelton... you didn't see much of that back then (late eighties).
Thanks for reminding me. Loved that when it came out as "no one" cared about them back then. Have to look for these now.

Nowadays, Sæmund (who was behind Streetfighter) is a born-again Christian who has broken with his sinful past (in heavy metal).
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.
lunaboy

Post by lunaboy »

Some english writen Lithuanian fanzines(Some cover Death/Thrash some Prog/Heavy stuff like Edge of Sanity) .PDF Flies here...

EDGE OF SANTIY (Check out Nr 15 .Interview with Dennis from MONSTER RECORDS(Slaughter Xtroyes etc...)

http://www.hell-music.lt/spaudatinkle/zinai/E/

DEATH INDUSTRY

http://www.hell-music.lt/spaudatinkle/zinai/D/

WOUNDED/VITAL WOUND

http://www.hell-music.lt/spaudatinkle/zinai/V/

http://www.hell-music.lt/spaudatinkle/zinai/W/

I posted these long time in Thrashmageddon forrum.
Blasfemer

Post by Blasfemer »

I just have some old Metal hammer / Horror Infernal zines from 90-93 I think. Nothing special
GJ

Post by GJ »

great_knuthulhu wrote:Nowadays, Sæmund (who was behind Streetfighter) is a born-again Christian who has broken with his sinful past (in heavy metal).
So all eventual spare copies of the Norway Rocks LP have met their fate in a giant cleansing bonfire? :cry: