The Metal Compilopedia

Discussions and comments on The Corroseum website, its articles, features and reviews.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

daniel

Post by daniel »

WHAT THE FUCK! (;))

'California Metal Vol I'; GARDIAN's track 'Marching On' is fucking amazing! I usually play it over and over, it's powerful, catchy, uplifiting, maybe the highlight of the whole LP! Thousands of times better than shitty STRYPER. And the NEON CROSS track RULES, yes the spoken word parts make me laugh, but riff-wise this is good stuff and nowhere near the worst kind of Christian metal, more like the BEST kind! There's also more good stuff on this album and especially the MASTEDON track is like a more anthemic SURVIVOR a'la' 'Burning Heart'.

Then as for 'California Metal II', well...the two EMERALD tracks are worth ANY price you might have to pay, who cares about the other tracks, this stuff is full of power to blow several bands off any 80's stage, they come out with their most aggressive track ever and easily make this compilation an item to treasure.
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

I had Vol 1 ages ago but it left no lasting impression, sorry. About the EMERALD tracks on Vol 2, sure, they're the best on the album but I don't think they stick out in any way from the US Metal crowd of the time.

(Incidently I'm playing BRIDE's "Live To Die" Lp while writing this and it totally wipes the temple floor with anything on these 2 comps imo...)
daniel

Post by daniel »

What sort of BATTLE will ensue when we meet?! (BTW ENGLISH-Finnish if you will - two passports/two nationalities YO). I think none though, cos the host is the DJ haha. That BRIDE LP is cool, though none of the tracks are as good as the first one; 'Metal Night'. But I guess we can agree this LP trumps the Norwegian gang who used the same cover artwork...
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Heavy Artillery - The Kraze track is actually still exclusive. The "Devil In Disguise" re-issue compilation CD features the original third demo version which is quite a bit faster. The version on this comp was re-recorded, slowed down a couple of notches and is much more Thrash influenced.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Fantastic work on the Compilation Encyclopedia and the accompanying cd Dan. So much great stuff on there that i've never heard before, that BIKES track is my current favourite, (it kinda reminds me of ASHBURY or WINTERHAWK), but my favourite is changing daily at the moment.
It makes a great soundtrack whilst scrutinising all the great work you and Keir have done, so much old new music i still have to hear. I better stop smoking now if i'm gonna live long enough to hear half of the stuff listed in here.
I take my hats off to you guys, you've done a brilliant job on this one.
When's Vol 2 of the cd coming?
:D
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

I'm slowly working on something for vol 2.
bigfootkit wrote: When's Vol 2 of the cd coming?
:D
Keir

Post by Keir »

daniel wrote:'California Metal Vol I'; GARDIAN's track 'Marching On' is fucking amazing! I usually play it over and over, it's powerful, catchy, uplifiting, maybe the highlight of the whole LP! Thousands of times better than shitty STRYPER. And the NEON CROSS track RULES, yes the spoken word parts make me laugh, but riff-wise this is good stuff and nowhere near the worst kind of Christian metal, more like the BEST kind! There's also more good stuff on this album and especially the MASTEDON track is like a more anthemic SURVIVOR a'la' 'Burning Heart'.
Well, I didn’t really mean the STRYPER comparison as an insult. I quite like them (at least the early, non-ballad material). Overall though I have to say that only the DELIVERANCE tracks stand out to me and were the sole reason for me giving it a whole 3 swords.
Avenger wrote:Heavy Artillery - The Kraze track is actually still exclusive. The "Devil In Disguise" re-issue compilation CD features the original third demo version which is quite a bit faster. The version on this comp was re-recorded, slowed down a couple of notches and is much more Thrash influenced.
Thanks for the info, I didn’t realize that. In fact, I did the review before Dan and I came to a consensus about whether reissues should count against a track’s exclusivity, so many of those tracks I had listed as non-exclusive when in fact they were at the time. Looks like Dan has since fixed that.
bigfootkit wrote:Fantastic work on the Compilation Encyclopedia and the accompanying cd Dan. So much great stuff on there that i've never heard before, that BIKES track is my current favourite, (it kinda reminds me of ASHBURY or WINTERHAWK), but my favourite is changing daily at the moment.
It makes a great soundtrack whilst scrutinising all the great work you and Keir have done, so much old new music i still have to hear. I better stop smoking now if i'm gonna live long enough to hear half of the stuff listed in here.
I take my hats off to you guys, you've done a brilliant job on this one.
When's Vol 2 of the cd coming?
Glad to hear someone else enjoys the BIKES track as much as I do. It’s not something that has universal appeal, but I wanted to include it to show the kind of diversity you find on some of these mixed genre radio comps. We certainly have more than enough great material to put together a second volume, but it may still be a bit soon for that. Dan?
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Cheers for the kind words, Kit. This is definitely one of the funnest projects I've dived into for quite some time. Lots of material just waiting to be added too..
And I agree 103% about the BIKES track - loved since first listening. I can never get enough of that kind of soulful/melodic/mysterious/original stuff..
Keir wrote:
Avenger wrote:Heavy Artillery - The Kraze track is actually still exclusive. The "Devil In Disguise" re-issue compilation CD features the original third demo version which is quite a bit faster. The version on this comp was re-recorded, slowed down a couple of notches and is much more Thrash influenced.
Thanks for the info, I didn’t realize that. In fact, I did the review before Dan and I came to a consensus about whether reissues should count against a track’s exclusivity, so many of those tracks I had listed as non-exclusive when in fact they were at the time. Looks like Dan has since fixed that.
I've tried to check up on most tracks that look "suspicious" in one way or the other, but when I don't have the albums to compare with I sometimes go on a hunch - which in turn means there's probably more errors in there.

As collectornerdy as it may look I think it's important info that definitely needs to be included in a project like this, so all corrections/additions are very welcomed. Thanx again Avenger.
We certainly have more than enough great material to put together a second volume, but it may still be a bit soon for that. Dan?
Yeah, I'd love to throw together more volumes, but let's wait a few months. Looking forward to hear Rob's "alternative" comp though :)
Keir

Post by Keir »

Just noticed that the 12/18 updates (KNAC and Metalmania) were not added to the comps/index page.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Keir wrote:Just noticed that the 12/18 updates (KNAC and Metalmania) were not added to the comps/index page.
Oh krap... I must have made the last update from an older version of the page and those got lost inbetween. I know they were originally there. I'll fix it on sunday - I'm currently out of town.
hload

Post by hload »

daniel wrote:WHAT THE FUCK! (;))

'California Metal Vol I'; GARDIAN's track 'Marching On' is fucking amazing! I usually play it over and over, it's powerful, catchy, uplifiting, maybe the highlight of the whole LP! Thousands of times better than shitty STRYPER. And the NEON CROSS track RULES, yes the spoken word parts make me laugh, but riff-wise this is good stuff and nowhere near the worst kind of Christian metal, more like the BEST kind! There's also more good stuff on this album and especially the MASTEDON track is like a more anthemic SURVIVOR a'la' 'Burning Heart'.

Then as for 'California Metal II', well...the two EMERALD tracks are worth ANY price you might have to pay, who cares about the other tracks, this stuff is full of power to blow several bands off any 80's stage, they come out with their most aggressive track ever and easily make this compilation an item to treasure.

o tempora...o mores.....
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

DaN wrote:
Keir wrote:Just noticed that the 12/18 updates (KNAC and Metalmania) were not added to the comps/index page.
Oh krap... I must have made the last update from an older version of the page and those got lost inbetween. I know they were originally there. I'll fix it on sunday - I'm currently out of town.
Done + updates.
MassOfKthulu

Post by MassOfKthulu »

has anyone seen or owns the metal maniac LP-durum records-with danger zone,strana officina etc tracks?
I am so true my mp3 player's screen has slight ringwear
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

MassOfKthulu wrote:has anyone seen or owns the metal maniac LP-durum records-with danger zone,strana officina etc tracks?
Not until now. I just bought a copy from Italian ebay for €51 - I think. My Italian's not too great...