Italian metal

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
DaN
Administructor

Re: Italian metal

Post by DaN »

tbieri wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:13 am
Completely new to me - thanx for the tip! Are there more songs on the album in the style of "Strega"?
Half of the songs are like that, the other half just Rock or even Soft Rock.
Thanx for the info. Half is good enough for me. Welcome to wantlist, A.X.E...
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

DaN wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:02 pm @Kit: Now this band I've heard about but I don't think I've ever given a proper listen to their recordings. Sounds intriguing from the first few minutes..
Xipe are definitely a band who require repeated listens. Their musical scope is so wide & the song arrangements so unusual that you have to give some time to it. It's time well spent though as they're hugely talented players & their songs are chock-full of unusual but well realised ideas. Hard to pigeon-hole them stylistically but i think you'll appreciate at least some of what they do. I've been hoping that some label would give them the anthology treatment for quite some time, but in vain thus far.
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

XIPE sound like something for my taste, too.

Thank you very much, DaN, for sharing BACKFIRE. I haven't expected much, but then I heard that acoustic/instrumental track. Guitarist is classically trained, strings do not screech at all while he "dances" upon them. Rarely heard in metal and excellent. And titletrack is just as you described it. Great stuff, worth to return to.
I am ... the One you warned me of
Zombie Dance

Post by Zombie Dance »

Simple heads up but last time I checked Dark Quarterer were still still selling near mint dead stock copies of their first album for a 100 euros. Might sound expansive all together but knowing it's one of the finest Heavy Metal album ever recorded and that the band never had any luck selling them back then, you might consider it as a donation to the band.
https://darkquarterer.bandcamp.com/albu ... uarterer-2
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

bigfootkit wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:12 am
DaN wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:02 pm @Kit: Now this band I've heard about but I don't think I've ever given a proper listen to their recordings. Sounds intriguing from the first few minutes..
Xipe are definitely a band who require repeated listens. Their musical scope is so wide & the song arrangements so unusual that you have to give some time to it. It's time well spent though as they're hugely talented players & their songs are chock-full of unusual but well realised ideas. Hard to pigeon-hole them stylistically but i think you'll appreciate at least some of what they do. I've been hoping that some label would give them the anthology treatment for quite some time, but in vain thus far.
I'm officially intrigued. Must relisten more properly asap. Just got a million vinyls to review first :lol:

@Nenad: Neat that you enjoyed BACKFIRE - funny thing is I didn't even take the time to have a proper re-listening to it while ripping - I was multitasking and simultaneously playing some other stuff I just bought on a different system. I'm too efficient for my own good..
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

bigfootkit wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:12 amXipe are definitely a band who require repeated listens. Their musical scope is so wide & the song arrangements so unusual that you have to give some time to it. It's time well spent though as they're hugely talented players & their songs are chock-full of unusual but well realised ideas. Hard to pigeon-hole them stylistically but i think you'll appreciate at least some of what they do. I've been hoping that some label would give them the anthology treatment for quite some time, but in vain thus far.
I've been playing that full-lenght clip a couple of times these last few weeks and it is indeed an awesome band - very varied in style. Some killer standout tracks that need mentioning is the amazing "Metal Lady" = possibly the best non-Adramelch Adramelch-tune I've ever heard, and the incredible Epic "The Eyes of Wanda" :shock:

Also, I just recieved my own copy of this oddity. Review added:
A. X E. - Alternativa X Evadere LP 1990

My rip for the curious:
Exclusive content for logged in users.
Nonseinormale65

Post by Nonseinormale65 »

As i wrote in a pm to Dan me and Marco Melzi (Minotauro records) got in touch with A.X.E. former members for a reissue but they were no more interested in music for various reasons... :(
Solo i morti hanno visto la fine della guerra.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Nonseinormale65 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:30 pm As i wrote in a pm to Dan me and Marco Melzi (Minotauro records) got in touch with A.X.E. former members for a reissue but they were no more interested in music for various reasons... :(
Curious choice for a reissue... But maybe making it a 5-song MLP might have given it a whole new vibe.
Now XIPE on the other hand, there's a band REALLY deserving the full 2LP+bonus7"-treatment :D
Nonseinormale65

Xipe...the singer died some months ago of heart attack...during the years some labels tried a reissue but the band always chosed to make reissues of their material (demos,live recordings and the unreleased album) on cdr in small quantities they used to sale privately...

Many old italian bands are not interested in reissues,some former members are even ashamed of having played heavy metal!!!

P.S. a couple of recent finds, Hydra from Vado Ligure/Savona,this hard rock band released two 7" in 1981 and 1983, the most interesting is the first one while the second is more mainstream rock:

Hydra - Strade Vuote/Jane (1981)

Second find is Alcool,hard rock band from Firenze/Florence that released a 7" in 1981:

here is the rip of Alcool:

Nonseinormale65

Another rarities is the one and only 7" released in 1982 by the rock/metal DJ Claudio Vigiani:

Claudio Vigiani was an italian hard rock/metal dj active in late 70's
and early 80's in Firenze and Tuscany who released this rare 7" in 1982,
backing band was Hopo,a Florence progressive rock band active from 1975
who released a couple of studio albums ("Senti" - 1982 and "Dietro la Finestra" 1991).

A promo video clip was released too...you can see it on my channel:

and here is the rip:

DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Sad to hear about the domestic view of olde HM in Italy... :(
As for the 7"s, both Hydra and Alcool sounded rather new wave/post-punk influenced ...but at least the back sleeve of HYDRA still looked Metal:
HYDRA-italy.jpg
HYDRA-italy.jpg (63.83 KiB) Viewed 2498 times
The Claudio Vigiani track was more to my liking, but for some strange reason I get the same vibe from this tune as the oddity we've discussed here.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

DaN wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:29 pm I've been playing that full-lenght clip a couple of times these last few weeks and it is indeed an awesome band - very varied in style. Some killer standout tracks that need mentioning is the amazing "Metal Lady" = possibly the best non-Adramelch Adramelch-tune I've ever heard, and the incredible Epic "The Eyes of Wanda" :shock:
Glad to hear your perseverance with Xipe was ultimately rewarding. I had a feeling it would appeal to you, though i do remember being confused by it initially myself & i only succumbed to it's unique charms several listens later.
You were bemoaning predictability in the New Wave Of True Metal thread just recently, Xipe definitely never suffered from that problem. :lol:
Nonseinormale65 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:58 pm Xipe...during the years some labels tried a reissue but the band always chosed to make reissues of their material (demos,live recordings and the unreleased album) on cdr in small quantities they used to sale privately...
Many old italian bands are not interested in reissues,some former members are even ashamed of having played heavy metal!!!
I really hope they eventually bring their music to the wider audience it deserves via a proper release. It would be a fitting tribute to their departed bandmate.
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
wicked keeper

Post by wicked keeper »

Nonseinormale65 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:58 pm

From what I've been told that's pretty much why an official reissue of the Berserks lp is highly unlikely to ever see the light of day... :(
VictimeDelExil

Post by VictimeDelExil »

wicked keeper wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:43 am
Nonseinormale65 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:58 pm

From what I've been told that's pretty much why an official reissue of the Berserks lp is highly unlikely to ever see the light of day... :(
Stuff like this is just maddening, like with Gotham City as well - according to something I've heard, GC's stuff is not reissued because the band members "can't agree on reissuing" it. Just reissue it, you're quite literally sitting on what I'd assume would be decent money.
ujr_metal

Post by ujr_metal »

wicked keeper wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:43 am
That Berserks LP is something that really deserves a reissue. Same for AES or Danger Zone Victim of time!