Canadian Steel

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
msp

Post by msp »

How come nobody has mentiioned SLAUGHTER???????
Witchkiller

Post by Witchkiller »

Slaughter were cool.Good thrash/death on Srappado(and i don't even like Celtic Frost).

Black Knight's Master Of Disaster is a must!Same goes for the Nuthin' Pritty ep!Both bands are obscurities than stand out for a good reason(great songwriting,great vocals).

Infernal Majesty were cool as well.Cool thrash...
Sacrifice were absolutely raging.

And,yeah,Solar Eagle suck big time as far as i am concerned.And the vocals........c'mon,gimme a break.

My opinion about Voivod's first two lps,Exciter with Jon Ricci/Dan Beehler,Razor(Sheepdog era),Annihilator(first two lps and King Of The Kill)and of course the kings of filt Piledriver ,is known world wide:THEY BEAT THE HELL OUT OF THE ENTIRE US METAL(with Riot and Armored Saint as an exception).

Thank You!
All i need is a lady
With more than the average size
msp

Post by msp »

msp wrote:How come nobody has mentiioned SLAUGHTER???????
Other faves:

Anvil
Voivod
Sacrifice
Annihilator (first two especially. One of the best bands I have seen live too)
Razor
Death Dealer (& DEAF!!)

I'm not so hot on the "obscure" stuff but I would also recommend the DEAD CALM and FALSE WITNESS CD's that came out recently

I'm sure there are loads of other bands I should know about and have forgotten to mention :oops:
Witchkiller

Post by Witchkiller »

How in Lemmy's sake did i forget Anvil.One of my all time fav acts........
All i need is a lady
MassOfKthulu

Post by MassOfKthulu »

witchkiller,what break do you want to be given one with hazelnuts or the white one with corn flakes?
solar eagle is an acquired taste totally love it or hate it.in my case a love it.adore it actually.best canadian HM ever to me.if anyone disputes me s like disputing why ham is better than a choclate cake.no point.once again,my opinion.some of you might consider blasphemy the best metal out of canada and that's yr opinion too.
I am so true my mp3 player's screen has slight ringwear
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

Yeah actually that Charter To Nowhere tape by Solar Eagle would probably make it to my top 20 metal demos list..

And back to the canuck metal in general.. Minotaur is decent stuff, Thunder Rider's a really cool band and Kraken I should give some listens. But is DBC any good?
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
big mouth

Post by big mouth »

OBLIVION/ OBLIVEON (until "nemesis"), DEATH MILITIA, HOLOCAUST....

Now some average stuff but certainly that I would label as killer nowadays considering how poor many bands are nowadays: TERMINATED RITE, GUERILLA WARFARE, DARK LEGION, TREBLINKA, YOG SOTHOTH, SADISTIC VISION, DEATH ADDER, BLOOD, MASSACRE etc....
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

nightsblood wrote:Canadians do metal well, though there's always a strong american influence present.
There's "american influence" in nearly every scene though...
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Witchkiller

Post by Witchkiller »

MassOfKthulu wrote:witchkiller,what break do you want to be given one with hazelnuts or the white one with corn flakes?
solar eagle is an acquired taste totally love it or hate it.in my case a love it.adore it actually.best canadian HM ever to me.if anyone disputes me s like disputing why ham is better than a choclate cake.no point.once again,my opinion.some of you might consider blasphemy the best metal out of canada and that's yr opinion too.
Off course it's a matter of taste M.O.K(and blasphemy from your part as well 8) ) .Everybody knows that.It's just the good ol' me trying to sound a lil' more "edgy" just for fun's sake.

Hazelnuts are great although i prefer the Hazel brothers and the good ol' fashioned Jhon Lee Hooker/Spiderman "C'MON,GIMME A BREAK,WILL YA?"(Is there a C somewhere there or is it just me?).

The case with Solar Eagle isn't "love it or hate it" .I mean they ain't Cirith Ungol,given that C.O. define the "love or hate" drill(along with very few other bands).I think they're average with lame vox,that's all.Some may think they're great ,ok big deal..............

EDIT
The Erlking wrote: And back to the canuck metal in general.. Minotaur is decent stuff,
Given that these guyz put out a tune like Witch hunt,i would say more than decent.A killer tune in my book that's for sure
All i need is a lady
Sgt. Kuntz

Post by Sgt. Kuntz »

Sword "Metalized" haven't been mentioned yet, typical classic US / Canada Metal from the 80s.

Also many great underground bands like Iron Gypsy, Wikka or Messiah Force.

I also like bands like Kick Axe or White Wolf, who play a mixture of hard rock and metal.

Can't say much about the current Canadian metal scene these days, but I think there aren't many clubs, labels or festivals who support our beloved true metal.
Where were you in '79 when the dam began to burst

http://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/ptrz80
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

Sgt. Kuntz wrote:Sword "Metalized" haven't been mentioned yet, typical classic US / Canada Metal from the 80s.
Actually mentioned SWORD in first post.. :)
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

I think that between the three of us that took part in the introduction thread, nearly all these bands were already mentioned...

Haha...
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
perishinflames

Post by perishinflames »

The Erlking wrote: And I gotta check out Dissection too
Yeah you do. Final Genocide is excellent. Also check out Armoros, Pieces and the demos are all great.
pzman

Post by pzman »

I can recommend a few:
Ana Black - 80s trad
Crypt - power
Dead Calm - power/prog
False Witness - power/prog
Hanker - power
Insane - 80s trad
Sye - power
Zion's Abyss - power
tbieri

Post by tbieri »

EXCITER !!! One of the very first (and greatest too) Speed Metal Bands !