Bootleg Warning Thread

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Yep, looks like it. Thanks!
Dodens Grav

Post by Dodens Grav »

Is anybody aware of a Master's Hammer - Ritual CD bootleg? A friend of mine just got a copy of the 1994 Osmose version, and his copy doesn't match up with mine. The matrix on his is A0000016557-0101 71 A01, and it didn't come with an Osmose promotional insert despite being shrink wrapped. Is it possible that this was pressed multiple times with different matrix numbers?
deathster

Post by deathster »

DaN wrote:
The Sentinel wrote:Speaking about bootlegs. I saw a CD of "Death SS: The Story Of Death SS". It was sealed. My question: is this a bootleg or a official CD - (re)-issue, because I thought it was only released as a LP on Minotauri. It's not the first time I buy a cd and then appears to be a fucking bootleg with shit sound-quality, so this won't happen again...
It was also released on CD w/ bonus trax by Minotauri in '88. One of the most precious items in my meagre CD collection 8)
I thought CD version came in mid 90s. I got my CD in 1996 (Minotauro rec M9403) and it was brand new. Maybe it was re-released (transparent CD holder) in mid 90s?
Check Italian ebay for Lp version and "Evil Metal" EP. You may get it from there and with good price too.
Ensiferum2k7

Post by Ensiferum2k7 »

was there ever a bootleg cd of this
Armoros - pieces ?

i'm looking to buy it, actually, if anyone has one.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Ensiferum2k7 wrote:was there ever a bootleg cd of this
Armoros - pieces ?

i'm looking to buy it, actually, if anyone has one.
Why not just buy this?

http://www.marquee.com.br/english/titul ... 8125214626
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
sovdat

Post by sovdat »

There was one copy of Pieces alone on ebay in the past, and since it was said that it was never officially released on a CD before the box, that should be it.
rooster

Post by rooster »

I have a question. How to recognise Znowhite - Act Of God bootleg? Today I've found an info that there was also a bootleg of that CD from 1988. My copy has white back cover with mixed up track list and matrix code: W.O.#10187-1 A RRD9587. I've never thought it could be a boot...
Heathen

Post by Heathen »

sovdat wrote:I've had two copies of Combat version, both came with blank booklet, and same matrix - 8226 111312 SB10640, however they were slightly different, but I can't tell exactly since I didn't have both at one time + the I can't take a look at the one I still have.

Here's the pic of the one I bought from some guy from Malaysia or Singapore or something like that:

http://sovdat.moj-album.com/slike/24080 ... gz3z.v.jpg

I bought it on ebay, the weird thing was that I wasn't the highest bidder, it ended at $33 and I still got a 2nd chance offer for my $27 bid. Seller's feedback was hidden (private), and everything was a little weird, so I suppose that it may be some very well done bootleg (the matrix area looks better and not as "Greek" as it may seem from the picture).

I don't have that copy anymore, but I do have another one, which, as I said looks nearly identical (some slight differences in matrix area), and is 100% official, since I bought it from a trustworthy seller who bought it somewhere in late 80s / early 90s.
Well, there certainly is a bootleg with the "CD FLAG 18" matrix as I've had it recently. Is this possible, that there are two bootlegs on the market of one release? It's not common, anyone knows more of such cases?
Heathen

Post by Heathen »

rooster wrote:W.O.#10187-1 A RRD9587.
The matrix seems like normal matrix from original Roadracer CDs, never heard about bootlegs with these kind of matrices.

edit: actually there also should be something like "Made by Distronics (H)" or DISC MFG. INC.

You should focus on the font and general look of the matrix, compare it to some other RRD CDs from that time with similar matrices starting from W.O.", there's plenty of them.
Last edited by Heathen on Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nonseinormale65

Post by Nonseinormale65 »

Pay attention to the vinyl bootleg of Death SS 7" Evil Metal,the original pressing was made in 200 copies only by Metal Eye in 1983,catalog number is ME 001,paper cover is slightly rough and discolored(collectors pays 200 euro or more for it);a second legit press was made in 1993 on vinyl(500 copies),in the second pressing the cover artwork on the paper is not well aligned,so it's easy to recognize;at last there is a bootleg version issued some years ago,the cover is perfect and well aligned on thin and smooth paper.

P.S. about "The Story of Death SS",it was published only by Minotauro Records in 1987 on LP,MC and in 1988 on CD(for all i know there were at least two legit reissues on Fuel records in the last few years and one some years ago on Minotauro/Markuee)the first pressing on cd by Minotauro has the catalog number DEA 101,the second pressing on cd in 1992 has catalog number M924;collectors pay attention,there is a first pressing on vinyl(1987) and a second pressing followed 3/4 months later in 1988, to distinguish them(same matrix and catalog number),the first pressing has grey label and the songs are credited to Death SS and if you look in the list of thanks you can find among others Yako De Bonis(singer of Steel Crown),in the second his name was deleted because in the meantime he had some problems with P.Chain and Steve Sylvester,the label is black and the songs are credited to P.Chain only...;there is also a third pressing on vinyl(1992) in which the songs are credited to P.Chain/Steve Sylvester,black label,
Solo i morti hanno visto la fine della guerra.
rooster

Post by rooster »

pan_Heathen wrote:
rooster wrote:W.O.#10187-1 A RRD9587.
The matrix seems like normal matrix from original Roadracer CDs, never heard about bootlegs with these kind of matrices.

edit: actually there also should be something like "Made by Distronics (H)" or DISC MFG. INC.

You should focus on the font and general look of the matrix, compare it to some other RRD CDs from that time with similar matrices starting from W.O.", there's plenty of them.
Here is the scan of that CD:

Matrix looks like other RRD CDs but there isn't any Made by Distronics or DISC MFG.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

rooster wrote:Image
This looks legit to me dude.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Heathen

Post by Heathen »

This guy sold like 10 Grinder "Dawn For the Living" CDs and he's not any of the russian/russian registered in england sellers (at leasd does not seem like one)

http://cgi.ebay.de/Grinder-Dawn-for-the ... 439e60caae

Anyone knows if the CDs he puts out are legit?
deathster

Post by deathster »

I wont copy the whole Death SS albums story few posts before. Anyway, nice information shared by Nonseinormale65. Checked my "The story of Death SS" LP: grey label, all songs wriiten and composed by Death SS (hints for the first press) but not the name Yako de Bonis on the thankslist youy wrote about.
Italian albums have some CIAE stamp marked onto them. Do bootlegs have also this stamp?
Helstar

Post by Helstar »

You mean SIAE ! I hate them. It's the italian RIAA.