New Release ?

All vinyl-specific issues goes in this here subforum.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Sorry, almost missed this..
glockose wrote:
DaN wrote:I would imagine that the most ungrateful things to release are more or less unknown acts, with no ties to famous/"cult" bands - even if the music is absolutely fantastic. Maybe with the exception of Doom/occult/dark/horror-ish bands though, they always seem to hype themselves and they also have a tendency to attract fans & buyers from outside the traditional underground HR/HM-scene. Or what sayest the labelists?
Thanks
Can you expain this a little more?
Maybe an example
I'm just thinking out loud from a buyer/collector's standpoint - not only myself but how I see others think and behave as well. My main point:
WHAT is being released still has to be the main factor in how successful the release will be, right? And it's my experience that saleswise, the actual quality of the music is a lesser factor than preexisting hype. I'm obviously just guessing here, but how fast did for instance STORMQUEEN sell compared to APOLLO RA?
msp

Post by msp »

Shadow Kingdom wrote:Now for the crazy talk. I DO think vinyl is going to come back huge (I've said this like 2 years ago).
It is getting that way. Looking back a few years the vinyl sections in big chain stores were pretty minimal here in the UK. Now they have racks devoted to just 7" for instance. I'm not talking about dance music either, a lot of the mainstream (rock & pop) bands are now releasing singles on 7". Maybe the pressings are still fairly limited but there is a lot more vinyl about.
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

DaN wrote:Sorry, almost missed this..
glockose wrote:
DaN wrote:I would imagine that the most ungrateful things to release are more or less unknown acts, with no ties to famous/"cult" bands - even if the music is absolutely fantastic. Maybe with the exception of Doom/occult/dark/horror-ish bands though, they always seem to hype themselves and they also have a tendency to attract fans & buyers from outside the traditional underground HR/HM-scene. Or what sayest the labelists?
Thanks
Can you expain this a little more?
Maybe an example
I'm just thinking out loud from a buyer/collector's standpoint - not only myself but how I see others think and behave as well. My main point:
WHAT is being released still has to be the main factor in how successful the release will be, right? And it's my experience that saleswise, the actual quality of the music is a lesser factor than preexisting hype. I'm obviously just guessing here, but how fast did for instance STORMQUEEN sell compared to APOLLO RA?
Ok I understand.
I think I was sold out of both in about the same time and I pressed more Stormqueen..... The Odd thing is the FASTEST selling record I did, to me was the worst Roc Lockner, Crazy But hay I see what your saying
hload

Post by hload »

no new releases needed after the texaz autumn holocaust...except for some "armoured attacks"...........repent!
GJ

Post by GJ »

glockose wrote:The Odd thing is the FASTEST selling record I did, to me was the worst Roc Lockner, Crazy
I bought the Roc Lochner right when I first heard of it (through Peter Morell Höög or, more likely, Patrik Leijen (TPL) don't remember for sure) because the Deuce release was so bloody awesome! And maybe the first of it's kind, old semi obscure Heavy Metal stuff/demos on vinyl in great packaging - for me it was anyway. So maybe it was the fear of missing out on something important (and new) that brought the "masses" to get the Roc Lochner LP quickly. I've spun the Roc Lochner LP twice or trice since... (not very exciting)

On the other hand I bought the Commandment - Engraved in Stone LP only this year - at KIT X. I was kind of slow when released and then it seemed it was gone everywhere. Aaargh! What a release! What a relief! (finally getting my hands on it) I paid 50€ - okay price after all the nervous waiting...

Edit: Correcting the quotation thing...
Last edited by GJ on Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

GJ wrote:
glockose wrote:
DaN wrote:The Odd thing is the FASTEST selling record I did, to me was the worst Roc Lockner, Crazy
I bought the Roc Lochner right when I first heard of it (through Peter Morell Höög or, more likely, Patrik Leijen (TPL) don't remember for sure) because the Deuce release was so bloody awesome! And maybe the first of it's kind, old semi obscure Heavy Metal stuff/demos on vinyl in great packaging - for me it was anyway. So maybe it was the fear of missing out on something important (and new) that brought the "masses" to get the Roc Lochner LP quickly. I've spun the Roc Lochner LP twice or trice since... (not very exciting)

On the other hand I bought the Commandment - Engraved in Stone LP only this year - at KIT X. I was kind of slow when released and then it seemed it was gone everywhere. Aaargh! What a release! What a relief! (finally getting my hands on it) I paid 50€ - okay price after all the nervous waiting...
Thank you for the very honest reply

I really wish more people would tell me what they really think.
It's the only way we can improve on stuff and make it better.

I know for me there was a stuff I really wasn't crazy about. Music /Cover
GJ

Post by GJ »

Other favourites (along with Deuce and Commandment) are Iron Head and Minotaur. I also have the Powersurge LP's, Apollo Ra and Derwich (all of which I have found good but not earth shattering... they need more spins probably... too many records - too little time) I think I have missed some... Maybe The Corroseum would be the right place for a label index for companies like yours too?
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

GJ wrote:Maybe The Corroseum would be the right place for a label index for companies like yours too?
I've been thinking about doing some honorary pages of labels like O.P.M., Doomed Planet, Miskatonic etc.. We'll see..

In the meantime you have RomanOfSteel's list here:
http://www.forgottensteel.homepage.t-on ... ls-opm.htm
GJ

Post by GJ »

DaN wrote:
GJ wrote:Maybe The Corroseum would be the right place for a label index for companies like yours too?
I've been thinking about doing some honorary pages of labels like O.P.M., Doomed Planet, Miskatonic etc.. We'll see..
That would be awesome!
DaN wrote:In the meantime you have RomanOfSteel's list here:
http://www.forgottensteel.homepage.t-on ... ls-opm.htm
Hehe! I forgot about the great Iron Cross, Armed Forces and the not so great, but still essential Demonax (the Aresti-link does it for me) - all of which also grace my collection.

The Powersurge releases (and later, which were??? - I can only come up with Stormqueen - which I also have - I'm close to senile it seems) weren't listed though.
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

OPM RECORDS

DEUCE – SAME 1-500 BLACK VINYL

MX – SAME COPIES 1-100 GREEN VINYL
MX – SAME COPIES 101-500 BLACK VINYL

IRONHEAD 7” W/PS 250 COPIES CLEAR VINYL
IRONHEAD 7” W/PS 250 COPIES BLACK VINYL

COMMANDMENT – ENGRAVED IN STONE COPIES 1-100 BLUE VINYL
COMMANDMENT – ENGRAVED IN STONE COPIES 101-500 BLACK VINYL

ROC LOCHNER – SAME 1-100 DIFF SPLASH COLORED VINYL
ROC LOCHNER – SAME 101-500 BLACK VINYL

ARMED FORCES – SAME 1-100 ORANGE VINYL (2 INSERTS + PHOTO)
ARMED FORCES – SAME 101-500 BLACK VINYL (2 INSERTS + PHOTO)

APOLLO RA – SAME COPIES 1-100 YELLOW (2 INSERTS)
APOLLO RA – SAME COPIES 101-500 BLACK VINYL (2 INSERTS)

IRON CROSS – SAME (2 LP SET) COPIES 1-100 1 DISK BLUE, 1 DISK RED VINYL (2 INSERTS + STICKER)
IRON CROSS – SAME (2 LP SET) COPIES 101-666 BLACK VINYL (2 INSERTS + STICKER)

DERVISH – SOME MONSTERISM COPIES 1-100 GREEN VINYL (2 INSERTS)
DERVISH – SOME MONSTERISM COPIES 101-750 BLACK VINYL (2 INSERTS)

DEMONAX – SAME COPIES 1-100 RED VINYL (2 INSERTS)
DEMONAX – SAME COPIES 101-500 BLACK VINYL (2 INSERTS)

POWERSURGE – SNOW GOD COPIES 1-100 WHITE VINYL (1 INSERT)
POWERSURGE – SNOW GOD COPIES 101-600 BLACK VINYL (1 INSERT)

FRIGID BICH – 10” COPIES 1-50 GOLD VINYL W/ORIGINAL 7” SPECAL P/S(1 INSERT + AUTOGRAPHED POSTER)
FRIGID BICH – 10” COPIES 51-300 GOLD VINYL (1 INSERT + POSTER)

POWERSURGE – TARGETED FOR TERMINATION COPIES 1-100 BLACK VINYL (1 INSERT)
POWERSURGE – TARGETED FOR TERMINATION COPIES 101-600 WHITE VINYL (1 INSERT)

MINOTAUR – 1983-1987 COPIES 1-100 RED VINYL (3 INSERTS)
MINOTAUR – 1983-1987 COPIES 101-500 BLACK VINYL (3 INSERTS)

TYRRANNY 7” W/PS COPIES 50 BLACK VINYL / BLACK COVER
TYRRANNY 7” W/PS COPIES 250 BLUE VINYL / WHITE COVER

STORMQUEEN - Come Silent the World COPIES 1-25 WHITE VINYL
STORMQUEEN - Come Silent the World COPIES 25-100 YELLOW VINYL
STORMQUEEN - Come Silent the World COPIES 101-600 BLACK VINYL
(ALL CAME WITH BOOKLET/STICKER/PATCH)

HEXAMON RECORDS (70's hard rock)

SEICHE - DOSE AFTER DOSE COPIES 1-100 COLORED VINYL W/SPECAL COVERS (SMALL BOOK INSERT)
SEICHE - DOSE AFTER DOSE COPIES 101-500 BLACK VINYL (SMALL BOOK INSERT)

BADAXE - SAME COPIES 1-100 ORANGE VINYL (POSTER)
BADAXE - SAME COPIES 101-500 BLACK VINYL (POSTER)

DEUSENBERG - SAME COPIES 1-100 WHITE VINYL (POSTER & OBI)
DEUSENBERG - SAME COPIES 101-500 BLACK VINYL (POSTER & OBI)
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

I love that Demonax LP: some weird kind of furious thrash.

Another OPM release would be amazing!!!
Long Live The Loud !!!
jman

Post by jman »

Avenger wrote: What kind of stuff are you looking to release?

Why not just release it on CD?
Don't wanna say anything about bands I have talked to, since the whole thing is up in the air. The whole idea is to do a super limited tape reissue b/c tapes are awesome, not a practical idea at all!
Shadow Kingdom

Post by Shadow Kingdom »

You're sold out of this, right?

SEICHE - DOSE AFTER DOSE
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

jman wrote:

Don't wanna say anything about bands I have talked to, since the whole thing is up in the air. The whole idea is to do a super limited tape reissue b/c tapes are awesome, not a practical idea at all!
But tapes wear out...
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Avenger wrote:
jman wrote:

But tapes wear out...
Yeah, my main concern about cassettes is how "fragile" they are. Frankly I'd even prefere CDRs to tapes in cases like these. A cool packaging will still make them unique.