Brazilian [& rest Latin American] 80s ThrashDeath Scene

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
ION BRITTON

Brazilian [& rest Latin American] 80s ThrashDeath Scene

Post by ION BRITTON »

I've been spinning lots of good old shit from Brazil the last three days and i thought it would be cool to see some Top lists from the fans. Sarcofago, Sepultura, Dorsal Atlantica, Mutilator, MX, Genocidio, Vulcano, Holocausto, Korzus, Ratos de Porao, The Mist, Exterminator, Anthares, Attomica, Sextrash some of the names for those who need to fresh their memory. Further comments/notes are always welcome.

I guess my top-5 would be something like this:

1. SARCOFAGO - I.N.R.I. (this one stays on top until the end of time)
2. SEPULTURA - Morbid Visions / Bestial Devastation
3. VULCANO - Bloody Vengeance
4. MUTILATOR - Immortal Forces
5. GENOCIDIO - Same

Honorable mention : HOLOCAUSTO - Campo de exterminio, WITCHHAMMER - Demo 87
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
The Knell

Post by The Knell »

Vulcano : Bloody Vengeance
Sarcofago : INRI
Exterminator : Total Extermination Exterminator Experience
Genocidio : same
Mistifier : Wicca (no thrash but brazil shit)
Dorsal Atlantica : Antes Do Fim
Mutilator : Immortal Force
Holocausto : Campo De Exterminio
Sovereign : The Wolf (sorry I have to put this in)
Sepultura : Bestial Devastation / Morbid Visions
Sextrash : Sexual Carnage
MX : Simoniacal

pretty much in this order

yes, I find Sepultura overrated.
both MX and SexT have good moments but overall not so classic
sovdat

Post by sovdat »

Old Sepultura is one of my favorite bands, but I have to admit that I never really got into old Brazilian thrash / death scene, and I'm not really familiar with most bands, I'll really have to improve that somewhere in the future ... I suppose (way) after Sepultura my favorites would be Taurus and Attomica, but judging only by a "quick listen", I couldn't even name a single song by any of those bands ...
The Knell

Post by The Knell »

sovdat wrote:Old Sepultura is one of my favorite bands, but I have to admit that I never really got into old Brazilian thrash / death scene, and I'm not really familiar with most bands, I'll really have to improve that somewhere in the future ... I suppose (way) after Sepultura my favorites would be Taurus and Attomica, but judging only by a "quick listen", I couldn't even name a single song by any of those bands ...
Those are the classics that could be interesting for you I guess;
Mutilator : Immortal Force
Sextrash : Sexual Carnage
MX : Simoniacal

those maybe:
Holocausto : Campo De Exterminio
Dorsal Atlantica : Antes Do Fim
convent guilt

Post by convent guilt »

Top 11:

SARCOFAGO 'INRI' LP (Almost unfair to include this...)
SEPULTURA 'Morbid visions' LP ('Schizophrenia' is a killer thrash album as well in its own right)
MUTILATOR 'Immortal force' LP
VULCANO 'Bloody vengeance' LP
EXPULSER/BRUTAL DISTORTION split LP (mainly for the ungodly Expulser side of the vinyl)
HOLOCAUSTO 'Campo de exterminio' LP
SEXTRASH 'Sexual cabbage' LP
SEPULTURA/OVERDOSE split LP
ATTOMICA 'Attomica' LP
PANIC 'Rotten church' LP
CHAKAL 'Abominable anno domini' LP

The Warfare Noise I and Lost Tapes of Cogumelo samplers can't be beaten for their mix of Sep/Sarc/Mut/Vulc/Holo/Chakal - in some cases in better forms than they ever appeared on their albums.

One thing about the Brazilian '80s thrash scene is that apart from countless obscure demo bands, there don't seem to be any 'undiscovered gems'. I'll happily be proved wrong though...
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

I quite like the first two MX albums.

Good stuff.

I've never really been a huge Sepultura fanboy though, but the band does have it's moments.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
MexicanMetaler666

Post by MexicanMetaler666 »

convent guilt wrote:Top 11:

SARCOFAGO 'INRI' LP (Almost unfair to include this...)
SEPULTURA 'Morbid visions' LP ('Schizophrenia' is a killer thrash album as well in its own right)
MUTILATOR 'Immortal force' LP
VULCANO 'Bloody vengeance' LP
EXPULSER/BRUTAL DISTORTION split LP (mainly for the ungodly Expulser side of the vinyl)
HOLOCAUSTO 'Campo de exterminio' LP
SEXTRASH 'Sexual cabbage' LP
SEPULTURA/OVERDOSE split LP
ATTOMICA 'Attomica' LP
PANIC 'Rotten church' LP
CHAKAL 'Abominable anno domini' LP

The Warfare Noise I and Lost Tapes of Cogumelo samplers can't be beaten for their mix of Sep/Sarc/Mut/Vulc/Holo/Chakal - in some cases in better forms than they ever appeared on their albums.

One thing about the Brazilian '80s thrash scene is that apart from countless obscure demo bands, there don't seem to be any 'undiscovered gems'. I'll happily be proved wrong though...
true!!! The one that came to mind is Thor's 7" Rockrise/Thor Single . Hard to find only seen once for sale ,like a year ago. Didnt buy it too expencive!!!!
Heavy Metal is the LAW!!!!
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

Aamonhammer was a very interesting band. Too bad they only have about three songs recorded.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

MexicanMetaler666 wrote:
true!!! The one that came to mind is Thor's 7" Rockrise/Thor Single . Hard to find only seen once for sale ,like a year ago. Didnt buy it too expencive!!!!
Was Thor a thrash-death band? Haven't heard the 7'', but the cover is very promising.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

My 5 cents:

Couldn't help but prolonged the term slightly into 90's, hehe ...

Sepultura - 1984 - 1991
Ratos De Porao - Anarchophobia
MX - both
Nephastus - Tortuous Ways
Acid Storm - Both
Holocausto - Blocked Minds and Negatives
Butcher - Astral Karma
Sarcofago - Rotting, Laws Of Scourge, Hate
Korzus - 1985 - 1991
Genocidio - Hoectadron

Question for the connoisseurs: were there any VoiVod "wannabees" and hidden techno thrash bands that you know of?
I am ... the One you warned me of
anthares

Post by anthares »

Brasilian death metal top 5:
SARCÓFAGO - INRI (always)
VULCANO - bloody vengeace
GENOCÍDIO - mlp
HOLOCAUSTO - campos do exterminio
SEX TRASH - sexual carnage (or Expulser stuff)
if compilations are include, Warfare Noise I and Lost stapes of Cogumelo would be there.
Cochino wrote:Aamonhammer was a very interesting band. Too bad they only have about three songs recorded.
Two track demo and two tracks on Warfare Noise II. Demo much better I think.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

The more I think about it, the more SARCOFAGO's I.N.R.I. stands out from the pack. Nothing else really comes close in my ears. The ATTOMICA debut and VULCANO's "Bloody Vengeance" share second place, and 3rds would be SEPULTURA - "Bestial Devastation", GENOCIDIO mlp, NECROFAGO boot, VULCANO "Live" and "Antrophopop.."something...

It's weird though: How come INRI was blessed with this incredibly neat'n'evil production and so many others sounded like shit? Bribes? Curses? Pot-luck? I was going to write that there's probably lots of great demos out there that deserve the vinyl treatment, but chances are the low production values (and shoddy playing) will ruin them.
anthares

Post by anthares »

Uh, I forgot the Necrofago demo boot! If its pressed on wax, why not dozens of other Brasilian metal demos as well!!!
great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

DaN wrote:The more I think about it, the more SARCOFAGO's I.N.R.I. stands out from the pack. Nothing else really comes close in my ears. The ATTOMICA debut and VULCANO's "Bloody Vengeance" share second place, and 3rds would be SEPULTURA - "Bestial Devastation", GENOCIDIO mlp, NECROFAGO boot, VULCANO "Live" and "Antrophopop.."something...

It's weird though: How come INRI was blessed with this incredibly neat'n'evil production and so many others sounded like shit? Bribes? Curses? Pot-luck? I was going to write that there's probably lots of great demos out there that deserve the vinyl treatment, but chances are the low production values (and shoddy playing) will ruin them.
There must have been som sinister forces at work there :twisted:

Seriously though, I don't know what you (not "you" as in only "you Dan") hear in the Genocidio mini. Sounded quite generic to me. Though I only got it a couple of weeks ago, I feel that's one that will go to it's place and probably not be listened to again.
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

I like the "hysterics" of the GENOCIDIO debut. Poop production & playing, but it goes down well after Big Brother "Bloody Vengeance".

How's the CORPSE lp? I think it got a pretty good review at Metaleros - which would imply it's not that brutal I guess.

..and I can't believe we've forgot to mention the "Headthrashers" comp! Too bad MX never lived up to those 2 featured songs. BLASPHEMER's "Hellish Fire Blast" is another fave on that one.