Brazilian [& rest Latin American] 80s ThrashDeath Scene

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Zombie Dance

Re: Brazilian [& rest Latin American] 80s ThrashDeath Scene

Post by Zombie Dance »

Prowler wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:01 pm I just wonder why people hold that Mutilator "Immortal force" in high regards. Did you ever ask how this album could have sounded with the original singer who shouted on the Demos/Warfare Noise LP? I think it's not a good brazilian Thrash album. Either soundwise it's too clean and lost all it's charm. Also I'm still longing for a Aamonhammer fullenght, despite the untight drummer/bassist. And definitely Mayhem from the same Warfare Noise LP at that time deserved an album. Those The Mist LP's came much too late when they got "softer". Cova, Necromancia .. soo many unheard jewels back in the day ... and we just got Holocausto's "Blocked minds" ...^^
100% agreed on Mutilator album, and all the comp tracks with Silvio are awesome (he went on to become a permanent roadie for Sepultura). I don't think Aamonhammer recorded an album, Mayhem did though (sorry not sure if that's what you were implying), Blenoraggia/Mad Thrasher would have been great too, same trajectory as Insulter. The MX demo is for me one of the best of that era, the guitar sound is devastating, but they're not answering my emails about a re-release!

Prowler : Are you familiar with the Shadows FX lp? Released in 2001, it genuinely sounds like a Cogumelo horde, there never was any infos on the recording dates, but I highly suspect that one to have some parts recorded in the 80ies.

One that would be corroseum review worthy is Sadom : love and Death lp, a bastard child of Frost and Motorhead with a crazy take on longer songs. I read reviews of their early demo comparing them to Hellhammer and early Sodom, I'd like to get my ears on that...
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Prowler wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:01 pm I just wonder why people hold that Mutilator "Immortal force" in high regards. Did you ever ask how this album could have sounded with the original singer who shouted on the Demos/Warfare Noise LP? I think it's not a good brazilian Thrash album. Either soundwise it's too clean and lost all it's charm. Also I'm still longing for a Aamonhammer fullenght, despite the untight drummer/bassist. And definitely Mayhem from the same Warfare Noise LP at that time deserved an album. Those The Mist LP's came much too late when they got "softer". Cova, Necromancia .. soo many unheard jewels back in the day ... and we just got Holocausto's "Blocked minds" ...^^
"Great minds think alike" obviously, as I agree 100%.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Btw, are there any 80's BlackThrash-demos in this field that's worth hearing? Or are they all just clumsy, inferior versions of the classic bands? When eyeing through old zines from the era/area there's so many neat looking logos & bandnames, but I'm quite igorant of that scene in general...
Maxim

Post by Maxim »

DaN wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:04 pm Btw, are there any 80's BlackThrash-demos in this field that's worth hearing? Or are they all just clumsy, inferior versions of the classic bands? When eyeing through old zines from the era/area there's so many neat looking logos & bandnames, but I'm quite igorant of that scene in general...
Depends on your love for that particular sound combined with your tolerance for lo-fi records. But I would say Decapitation "Spittle of Hate" and Agressor "Destruição Metálica" are well-worth hearing. Also check out Necroterium and that single-track demo by D.E.T.H.
Outside of Brazil personally I think the first Reencarnacion demo sounds better than their debut LP.

Recently I've been thinking to relisten through all those Brazilian deathrash demos and mark the ones that have any musical value for me.
Prowler

Post by Prowler »

Yes, the Shadows FX LP was a nice surprise.
Do you have the Armagedom/Forca Macabra Split LP from 1999? The Armagedom side was recorded already 1989 and features good typical brazilian Thrash, despite they've been more like a HC band in the beginning.

And @ DaN: Not every brazilian Demo band was sounding like a bunch of kittens. There are several killer Demos (I've a ton) and first to mind comes stuff like Sepulchral Voice and Warthrash's "Maniac soldier", that sounds like a bastard baby coming into your kitchen and drinking all your beer reserves. Right fröm the start you knöw that's gonna be a Thrash bastard that will leave you with dropped jaw.
It's not easy to be the Antichrist ...
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

@P&M: Do share! I'm gonna go back to those zines and list a few names I just thought looked cool and see if you're familiar with them..
Zombie Dance

Post by Zombie Dance »

I love Necro Vomit/ Evoked Damnation demo. Also Invoker recorded the Remain of God demo in 1988/199 and is probably one of the most "Black Metal" thing recorded in the 80ies.

On the subject, Bazillion Points is soon releasing the english version of the United Forces book. I have the original in Portuguese and it's a wonderful release. United Forces zine was pretty much the equivalent of Slayer Mag for Brazilian Extreme Metal, it's probably gonna be the most important thing ever written on the subject so watch out, the iconography is insane as well.
https://www.bazillionpoints.com/books/brazil/
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Another review on this subject added - big fave too!

I did my own rip of the vinyl and then discovered I already had a rip in the archive. Hard to tell which one is better though - mine might have some more background noise in some songs, but better dynamic range:
Exclusive content for logged in users.
E5150

Post by E5150 »

Prowler wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:15 pm And @ DaN: Not every brazilian Demo band was sounding like a bunch of kittens. There are several killer Demos (I've a ton) and first to mind comes stuff like Sepulchral Voice and Warthrash's "Maniac soldier", that sounds like a bastard baby coming into your kitchen and drinking all your beer reserves. Right fröm the start you knöw that's gonna be a Thrash bastard that will leave you with dropped jaw.
Despite not commenting much here, I'll (try) to leave some small contribution, at least about the Brazilian scene (since I don't know much about the South American scene in general).
I agree with all these words from @Prowler, and I add that many demo-bands had a greater potential than many that got to record LP's, in addition to the bands that did better on demos or on few records than their full LP's (as is the case mentioned here of Mutilator, for example). In my view, the Brazilian underground is much more attractive than what emerged on its surface (at least as far as Thrash and Death Metal bands are concerned).
An example is Anarchus. The band recorded two demos and some rehearsals, and like other bands, they sent their stuffs to Cogumelo in an attempt to integrate into Warfare Noise III, but unfortunately that's not what happened. Its two demos can be checked and downloaded for free at the link below (and they are in much higher quality than those posted on YouTube):

https://anarchus1.bandcamp.com/
Zombie Dance wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:37 am On the subject, Bazillion Points is soon releasing the english version of the United Forces book. I have the original in Portuguese and it's a wonderful release. United Forces zine was pretty much the equivalent of Slayer Mag for Brazilian Extreme Metal, it's probably gonna be the most important thing ever written on the subject so watch out, the iconography is insane as well.
https://www.bazillionpoints.com/books/brazil/
I also have the Portuguese version and this is for sure the best 80's brazilian metal publication. Marcelo Batista (editor of the fanzine and the book) told me that for this English version, it should come with some extra material that didn't come out in the Portuguese version. Anyway, for those who have the opportunity to buy it, it's really worth it, because in addition to having all the complete editions of the fanzine, it contains many comments by the author about things from the time, information and photos of bands that aren't yet in the Internet. It's a great record from that period!