Unsucky Melodic Metal

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Nightlock

Post by Nightlock »

Talon - Vicious Game
"On your knees
Into the night that you'll never remember"
beerandjesus

Post by beerandjesus »

How 'bout the Xcursion LP, Ready to Roll? I like that one a lot better than the Skull Queen EP, which is a shame, because it's a lot harder to find.....

Another one might be X-Caliber - Warriors of the Night, especially the second side.... although, I've had it for more than a year and still haven't decided if it's good or crap!
DTP

Post by DTP »

Nightlock wrote:
About Pretty Maids though pity they went in the more poppy direction with each new release. Am still to hear the s/t MLP but it's at the top of my list. How does it size up to Red, Hot and Heavy?
i think the EP is the best thing they've done! nice raw recording w/ a touch of that AOR sound; be sure and get the original press and not the CBS 'remix'!

i'm surprised nobody mentioned SORTILEGE, dude out-shrieks Halford half the time :shock:

SORCERY from Cali were decent melodic hardrock/metal; check out the "Stuntrock" cd, which is a soundtrack to an obscure film nobody saw..

Q5 rules!!!!
Blood RED

Post by Blood RED »

Hellpreacher wrote: Q5 rules!!!!
Exactly but just the first album Steel the light. The second is very commercial...
anthares

Post by anthares »

beerandjesus wrote:How 'bout the Xcursion LP, Ready to Roll? I like that one a lot better than the Skull Queen EP, which is a shame, because it's a lot harder to find.....!
Really? The mlp is fantastic! And demo!

Some upload of the album someone perhaps?
otcmetal

Post by otcmetal »

Fucking Åmål wrote:
DaN wrote: I aslo enjoy DARK HEART "Shadows Here, here. A killer albums that sounds so "normal" at first listening but then slowly gets darker and more special with every listening. Something about those vocals me thinks.. That guy is up to no good. Someone should check his back yard for bodies of dead children. Just to be sure.
No i don´t think of a special evilness about this band.What makes you say such a think?I am very curious to find what found you so evil or occult?Ok it is not a TRALALA band but if you say such a thing about DARK HEART what someone can say about BLACK HOLE :D
Shadows of the Night is one of my all-time faves too. I must admit I always thought they had a haunting type of feel in alot of their songs, especially Shadows... and Don't Break The Circle. So I kinda' know where Dan is coming from. One of my other faves is TOKYO BLADE-Night of the Blade. Some really great songs on that one!
Sir.Ungol

Post by Sir.Ungol »

From the mighty DEMON:

-Night Of The Demon
-The Unexpected Guest
-Taking The World By Storm
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Hmm, I think this thread is rather flawed to be honest.

Technically any band with any sort of melody in their music could be deemed "melodic".

Although, arguable, if you were to deem "Melodic Metal" a sub-genre, much like like "NWOBHM" a sub-genre, because both have a specific fixed, formulated sound that is common among them, I would say bands like:

Hawk
Fifth Angel (especially "Time Will Tell")
Axel Rudi Pell
Madison
Agentz (although more Hardrock)

fall into this category.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Sgt. Kuntz

Post by Sgt. Kuntz »

Agreed. You could also add bands like M.A.R.S., VANDENBERG, ICON (the first two), LETTER X, METALWOLF or even the first EUROPE (don't laugh if you haven't actually heard this one, okay?).

The "Street Ready" album by LEATHERWOLF is also 100% pure Melodic Metal.
Where were you in '79 when the dam began to burst

http://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/ptrz80
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

I think we mean bands that sound more melodic than your typical/common metal band.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

ION BRITTON wrote:I think we mean bands that sound more melodic than your typical/common metal band.
Well, then any band with a melodic solo could be listed here.

That's boring...
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Avenger wrote:
ION BRITTON wrote:I think we mean bands that sound more melodic than your typical/common metal band.
Well, then any band with a melodic solo could be listed here.

That's boring...
Well, if it's only a melodic solo among several not-so-melodic songs i think they can be excluded from the list.

The question is when one band is considered more melodic than another. For example AXEGRINDER might sound quite melodic to a grindcore fan, but they might as well be considered as ''noise'' by a fan of hard rock.
It would be better if bands of the same sub-genre were compared, otherwise it's all relative.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
msp

Post by msp »

This was quite a cool melodic metal album. Jorn Lande and Russell Allen are the vocalists with Magnus Karlsson on guitars/bass and Keyboards.

TNT "My Religion" album from 2004 was also good. Catchy songs, choruses and hooks.

Also both Starbreaker albums. Tony Harnell sings on these albums and is a great melodic metal singer in my opinion

I guess this is my idea of what melodic metal is. To others it is probably Mind wars by Holy Terror
Remember kids, only high priced rarities are true...
Lama

Post by Lama »

Not the most obscure of melodic metal bands, but I think the first three albums of Nocturnal Rites are great. Especially "Tales Of Mystery And Imagination"! "Programmed" by Lethal is also a classic!
Kampel Destruction
Astra Wally

Post by Astra Wally »

What about PALASS - Queen of the World ?

Devil Girl!!

(still searching for the original lp, if anyone has it for sale or eventually trade, let me know...)