Unsucky Melodic Metal

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
DaN
Administructor

Unsucky Melodic Metal

Post by DaN »

So what's your favourite Melodic Metal recordings? Got something extra special to recommend? I'm not talking about the commercial kind here (if you wanna come out of the aor-closet, please do so at another board :evil: ) but the goosebumps-inducing, atmospheric, song-oriented kind. Some immortal albums that I hold extremely high:

MESSIAH - "Final Warning"
Simply the best Melodic Metal ever recorded. Fantastic songs - fantastic vocals - fantastic mood all the way..

LUST - "We'll Never Die"
Could be THE best French Metal album ever. This albums just keeps growing & growing & growing..

SARACEN - "Heroes, Saints and Fools"
No introduction necessary 8)

*original topic-title edited as a knee-jerk reaction of political correctness*
mordred

Post by mordred »

MADISON - Diamond Mistress.

And it doesn't get any more gay than Saracen.
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
The Sentinel

Re: UN-gay Melodic Metal

Post by The Sentinel »

DaN wrote: MESSIAH - "Final Warning"
Simply the best Melodic Metal ever recorded. Fantastic songs - fantastic vocals - fantastic mood all the way..

LUST - "We'll Never Die"
Could be THE best French Metal album ever. This albums just keeps growing & growing & growing..

SARACEN - "Heroes, Saints and Fools"
No introduction necessary 8)
Yes, these are classics.

ADRAMELCH: Irae Melanox
One of my favourites ever
Long Live The Loud !!!
Destrozer

Post by Destrozer »

Yeah, Messiah!!!
Lust have become a new fave of mine now!
Ok, I think you have to add Excess, best band from France together with Lust?
And how is Saracen? I have never heard them (not that I can recall).
I always liked Ashbury very much, do they fit in in this category?
Hmm, Credo are quite melodic...
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

mordred wrote:And it doesn't get any more gay than Saracen.
:shock: Have you actually heard HS&F? Or only the weak follow-up "Change of Heart"? This is fantastic, epic/melodic/progressive NWOBHM!

Hm, yes I have actually heard that MADISON lp, but this was many years ago. At the time they sounded immensely gay, but I'm willing to give them another chance, seeing how I've been doing so much re-evaluation recently of old stuff I used to hate.
The Strutzer wrote:Hmm, Credo are quite melodic...
Hell yeah! Their album is a bloody masterpiece, easily as great as ADRAMELCH (and beyond?)
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

Although i don´t understand quite exactly what the term Melodic Metal is and what bands may include i will comment some above mentioned albums

ADRAMELCH-Irae Melanox is definitely without any hesitation the BEST Italian album and one of the best of Europe(well with BLACK HOLE hehehe..)

MESSIAH-I always regarded the best unknown band of the usa.MESSIAH of corpse with their two perfect releases became one of the 20 best US metal bands ever and that´s no exaggeration.

MADISON-Diamond Mistress As i have said Diamond Mistress is definitely a top ten Swedish Record ever.As for their other releases, their album Best In Show is not good indeed and the production is worser.

ASHBURY-Endless Skies An excellent album the first track Warning is a HYMN!!I think it was a great surprise because i did´t expected to be so good.
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

SARACEN "Heroes, Saints & Fools" is one of the best album of the genre.

I'm not too fond of "melodic metal", I also enjoy DARK HEART "Shadows of the Night".

I don't know if they can be labelled as "melodic" but DIAMOND HEAD and WARNING (FRA) have always added lots of melody in their metal.
Last edited by omen of hate on Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

omen of hate wrote: I'm not too fond of "melodic metal", I aslo enjoy DARK HEART "Shadows of the Night".
DARK HEART rules i have them on vinyl and i think this band is one of the top UK bands ever.They remind me of old DEMON.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

omen of hate wrote:I aslo enjoy DARK HEART "Shadows of the Night"
Here, here. A killer albums that sounds so "normal" at first listening but then slowly gets darker and more special with every listening. Something about those vocals me thinks.. That guy is up to no good. Someone should check his back yard for bodies of dead children. Just to be sure.
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

DaN wrote: I aslo enjoy DARK HEART "Shadows Here, here. A killer albums that sounds so "normal" at first listening but then slowly gets darker and more special with every listening. Something about those vocals me thinks.. That guy is up to no good. Someone should check his back yard for bodies of dead children. Just to be sure.
No i don´t think of a special evilness about this band.What makes you say such a think?I am very curious to find what found you so evil or occult?Ok it is not a TRALALA band but if you say such a thing about DARK HEART what someone can say about BLACK HOLE :D
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Nothing evil about the music, no - they were basic straightforward HM - but the "dazed & cofused" vocals give them something extra. I think I need to put this on after work to define what I'm talking about. About bloody time!
tbieri

Post by tbieri »

SARACEN of course ! And also :

AGENTZ - Stick to your guns
RED DAWN - Never say surrender
AXEL RUDI PELL
Y&T - Black Tiger
HORIZON - Masters of the Game
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

tbieri wrote: AGENTZ - Stick to your guns
AGENTZ i love this one :D
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

PRAYING MANTIS - Time tells no lies. Their most metallic one and also the best.

HAMMER - Contract with hell. A few weak songs, but there are also plenty of killer melodic and- why not?- epic ones.

ANTHRACITE LP. Excellent musicianship, some fantastic songs, great lead & back vocals, but shitty production.

HANDS OF MERCY EP. Absolutely incredible. Has anyone heard the demos?

HAMMERON LP. Really deserves the hype. Great Chicago Metal.

SHY - Once bitten, twice shy. A classic one, no need for further comments.

ADRAMELCH a melodic metal band? FUCK NO. This is fuckin' epic metal. Open your ears.

Also, I wouldn't consider LUST a melodic metal band. Some trax have a strong melodic edge, some others, however, are pure steel. Best album from France comes from SORTILEGE and it's their debut EP. The title track is one the best 10 metal songs of all times period.

MADISON are semi-gay. Some good tracks in their ''Diamond Mistress'' LP, but also some unbearable ones.

EDIT ADDITIONS: How could i forget?

DECOY PARIS - Love on the run. Excellent melodic HM, a la RAZOR MAID, AGENTZ etc

ORACLE LP. The UK band that released this album in Spain. Read my review on metalpage for more info.
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

Well, what about Defender: City Ad Mortis? It's fast but with a lot of melody.
Long Live The Loud !!!