Unsucky Melodic Metal

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

The Sentinel wrote:Well, what about Defender: City Ad Mortis? It's fast but with a lot of melody.
Certainly a killer release, but first and foremost a Speed Metal band, even more so than for instance ADRAMELCH or CREDO.

Ion B: Would love to hear HANDS OF MERCY. Got a Belgian Metal fetish.
Ryacus

Post by Ryacus »

I know you probably already know these but whatever, these are the only ones I know off hand.

Attack
Scanner
tbieri

Post by tbieri »

And not to forget :

EMERALD - Armed for battle
TERRA ROSA - The Endless Basis
ODIN - Dont take no for answer
SPRUT - Sprut
mordred

Post by mordred »

DaN wrote: :shock: Have you actually heard HS&F? Or only the weak follow-up "Change of Heart"? This is fantastic, epic/melodic/progressive NWOBHM!
I still haven't heard neither of their albums actually, only saw their awkward appearance in the Metal City video together w/ Venom and Avenger years ago. They were so gay I crapped my pants. It was such a big turn off that I probably never will be able to gather enough courage to buy a Saracen album, if I'm gonna change my mind I will have to be force fed.
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

mordred wrote:I still haven't heard neither of their albums actually, only saw their awkward appearance in the Metal City video together w/ Venom and Avenger years ago. They were so gay I crapped my pants. It was such a big turn off that I probably never will be able to gather enough courage to buy a Saracen album, if I'm gonna change my mind I will have to be force fed.
I'm sorry to say I'm unfamiliar with this video :( Any 2nd opinions? If it is indeed from the "Change of Heart"-era, Mordred's observation might very well be correct.

I guess a "This Time"-era JAGUAR video would be just as shocking to the senses :evil:
metalmaster

Post by metalmaster »

Whta about these?

Twiligt project, Leather Nunn, Galaxy?? I find them very melodic but pretty good in deed
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

metalmaster wrote:Whta about these?

Twiligt project, Leather Nunn, Galaxy?? I find them very melodic but pretty good in deed
LEATHER NUNN very melodic? :shock: Please listen carefully to "Mental Asylum", "Taken Ground'' or ''Leather Nunn''. An agressive, HEAVY metal holocaust. 2 trax only are melodic for god's sake, not the whole album.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Twilight Project - not one of my faves, but fans of Scandinavian Melodic HM/HR and YJM should get into this. Their old demo under the ZARAGONE-monicker kills!

Leather Nunn- what IB said.

Galaxy - The Russian band? I love the debut - an all-time Russian top-10 contender, occationally very dark & original. The 2nd one was too much aor for me.

What about melodic NWOBHM 7"s? Bands like AXIS, FRENZY and MOTHER'S RUIN ("Streetfighter"! :D :D :D ) have made some of the best hard rock songs in music history!
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

DaN wrote: Their old demo under the ZARAGONE-monicker kills!
That's 100% correct.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
metalmaster

Post by metalmaster »

ION BRITTON wrote:

LEATHER NUNN very melodic? :shock: Please listen carefully to "Mental Asylum", "Taken Ground'' or ''Leather Nunn''. An agressive, HEAVY metal holocaust. 2 trax only are melodic for god's sake, not the whole album.
Well I meant: it is melodic "un-gay" because has that noticeable touch of aggression besides the melody, which in my opinion is an excellent combination that takes this album over the top. I wouldnt call it "heavy metal holocaust" for sure... I think the vocals are the most melodic part...
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

What about ARROW-Diary Of A Soldier i think ARROW were one of the 20 best swedish bands ever.I am looking like a maniac for their single ANYONE FOR UPLOAD? :cry:
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Fucking Åmål wrote:What about ARROW-Diary Of A Soldier i think ARROW were one of the 20 best swedish bands ever.I am looking like a maniac for their single ANYONE FOR UPLOAD? :cry:
Once I find my bloody flash memory (already full of stuff I was supposed to upload) I'll take care of it.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

metalmaster wrote:I wouldnt call it "heavy metal holocaust" for sure... I think the vocals are the most melodic part...
But i certainly will. The guitar intro and outro on "Mental asylum" is simply skullcrushing. You won't find such demented noise soloing in any other US metal release. Totally aggressive riffing on "Taken ground" and "Another bite". And a really heavy feeling on both "Leather Nunn" and "Mental Asylum". If you want a comparison , well, then they sound like early MOTLEY CRUE bastardized with the heaviest moments of JUDAS PRIEST. As far as the vocals are concerned: The singer certainly hasn't got the most brutal voice in the US scene, but i can't call him a melodic one either. Examples of melodic singers are: Midnight, Ray Alder, Geoff Tate, Tony Moore, Tim Lachmann (Gargoyle) etc. Does he really sound so melodic as these guys? For me absolutely not.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

Yes Leather Nunn is very good band which i really enjoy but no top band of course :(
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

In any case "Take The Night" has some of the most awesome & brutal guitar sounds on any 80's Metal record - like nothing you'd ever heard on a classic style HM album in these foul, perverted days.