How Much Would You Pay?

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
nightsblood

How Much Would You Pay?

Post by nightsblood »

When deciding how much to pay for a given record, what influences your decision? Do you pay whatever it takes to get it? Do you go by what the album 'usually' sells for? Do you never spend more than a set amount for ANY album? Do you speculate on what the album might be worth in the future and then try to get it cheaper?
Just curious.
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Through the years you tend to get a 6th sense for what a record might be worth, so I mostly go on instinct. I try to keep a policy of not paying more than 50-60 euros for any record and acquire the more rare/pricey stuff by trading, though I have strayed from that path a couple of times. At the moment I'm considering to hoist up 200+ euros for one of my top-wants still sealed. That would be new record, but it's a fair price for it and the only thing really holding me back is weather I should save the cash for various summer/vacation activities.
msp

Post by msp »

I can't see myself ever paying "anything it takes" just to own a record. Part of me would just feel too guilty about it and I am not sure I could justify it, not to mention if my girlfriend found out!!

There is one record I would maybe pay up to £100/$200 for, but over that it is just getting too much. Given the lack of variation (i.e. mostly mainstream metal) at most UK second hand shops and record fairs near where I live I have a general idea of what most stuff should go for so generally know if the dealer is trying to take the piss
ION BRITTON

Re: How Much Would You Pay?

Post by ION BRITTON »

nightsblood wrote:When deciding how much to pay for a given record, what influences your decision?
1) Record's pure musical value. I don't collect everything, i only buy things that i like and will hear for a very long time (probably).
2) My economic situation at that moment. However, i have decided not to spend more than 50 Euros for any kind of record anymore. Fortunately, many hard-to-find and unknown records are being reissued nowadays, i really don't mind if a couple of them will never be reissued, the mp3s/CDRs will suffice.
3) Its condition and the "reasonableness" of its price tag. Experience from ebay/mail orders/sale lists has helped quite a lot on the latter.
4) The priority it has on my want-list.
5) My mood at that moment. A bit lazy to explain it right now, but it definitely influences my decision to buy a record...
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
Keir

Post by Keir »

I always try to get a bargain. In some cases, if I've been eager to get an album for a very long time I will suck it up and pay whatever the going price is. Otherwise, I look at what an album is selling for on eBay, etc. and shoot for 75% of that or less. While I have found some great bargains, my method has its downside. I pass on a lot of albums I really want because I'm not willing to pay the price, instead spending my money on albums I'm less interested in.
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

Not in any specific order, but:

#1. The rarity of the album/Record Label. If it's something that pops up once a year I'm more likely to push the price up because I may miss it the next time around.

#2. Priority on my want list. I'll fork out more cash for something I've been trying to find for a long time or that has passed me by on previous occasions. I also only purchase albums that I actually like. I'm a completist but only to the point of taste. If a bands discography is say 6 albums long and only 4 of them are to my liking then once I have those 4 albums, that bands discography is complete to me.

#3. Financial situation. If I'm sitting pretty for the month and all my bills are already paid and I have no other major expenses coming up shortly, I'll toss a higher bid.
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

I purchase whatever it is to be completist... or what mood I am in, or if it's on my want list.
& depending on my mood & financial situation will depend on how much I fork out for the item/s.
I'd rather spend more & get more than spend a lot on just one item...
I find the chase is always better than the catch!
Why are a wise man & a wise guy opposites?
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Interesting replies!
Personally, I'm similar to keir; I try to get a feel for the 'regular' price of an album and then buy it for slightly less/no more than that amount. Although I buy records for my collection and not as investments, I do not like to pay more for an album than I can re-sell it for just in case I decide to get rid of it. Granted, the price COULD go up over time and thus make my original purchase price look like a great buy. However, so many collectibles go DOWN in value with time that I don't like playing the Speculation game.
Unfortunately, this strategy isn't very successful in terms of winning auctions in which people are bidding 100+% of an album's 'regular' value.
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
JonahQuizz

Post by JonahQuizz »

nightsblood wrote:Interesting replies!
Personally, I'm similar to keir; I try to get a feel for the 'regular' price of an album and then buy it for slightly less/no more than that amount. Although I buy records for my collection and not as investments, I do not like to pay more for an album than I can re-sell it for just in case I decide to get rid of it. Granted, the price COULD go up over time and thus make my original purchase price look like a great buy. However, so many collectibles go DOWN in value with time that I don't like playing the Speculation game.
Unfortunately, this strategy isn't very successful in terms of winning auctions in which people are bidding 100+% of an album's 'regular' value.
I think that way too, sometimes I can pay more than the regular price too though if it is a record that I really need. I don't have any maximum of what I'm prepared for any album, I could pay almost any amount for a superrare album as long as it isn't overprice
Nightlock

Post by Nightlock »

bargains are cool, Bellow "market" price rarities are cool but I'm willing to go over market price if I want the item. I don't really think too much about what the item will be worth in the future with rarities the market is sure to fluctuate up and down if you're patient and smart I'm sure they could be investments at least long time.

I have bought albums and singles at more than market price it doesn't really bother me it's only money. I'm irrational with prices and bidding, I could easily turn around and care a lot more about money and not buy anything for a while.
"On your knees
Into the night that you'll never remember"
tomas

Post by tomas »

The most I ever paid for a record was 50 euros.
For Holocausto - Campo ... LP and Genocidio - s/t EP. Then there's Mercy ' Swedish Metal' EP, I paid 30 euros.

It all depends on the rarity/musical quality of the record.
nabel

Post by nabel »

I have a limit, which is nowdays somewhere between 40 to 60 euros a record. Usually I try to find bargains, I check as many mailorder lists as possible, ask friends etc what would be a good price and then make decision if I buy it or not. Well this of course works with Ebay&internet.

But when in 2hand stores it does nor work that way for me, I make decisions faster, sometimes I get bargains and sometimes not...

So in a nutshell I'll go with "market price" or little bit less. But than again there are moments when I get the urge to buy something and then I'll go over the "market price"...
wom

Post by wom »

i'm an anti-completist, if that makes any sense :)

I only buy albums that i trully appreciate, based on musical value vs my personal taste. When i find a band of my liking, i ll usually end up with 2 - 3 of their releases that i rate as best. Then time passes by, their newer albums could be greater than great and then it's time for me to sell or trade the less interesting part of my collection ( == cash in)

As a result my want list is always short and does not include any 4-digit $ item. And thats a good thing because, i ll just buy what i want -- it's just money and nothing more!
great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

For me, it depends a lot on the record and on how much money I have at the time. I've recently paid more than €100 (though only slightly more) for a record and that's a rare thing.

I've paid way too much for some records though, mainly because rare records are extremely expensive from Norwegian dealers. I once saw Satan - Court in the act for €50 at Neseblod in Oslo, for those familiar with that. They also had the first two Manilla Road original pressings and they were at least twice what you'd normally pay.
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.
JonahQuizz

Post by JonahQuizz »

great_knuthulhu wrote:For me, it depends a lot on the record and on how much money I have at the time. I've recently paid more than €100 (though only slightly more) for a record and that's a rare thing.

I've paid way too much for some records though, mainly because rare records are extremely expensive from Norwegian dealers. I once saw Satan - Court in the act for €50 at Neseblod in Oslo, for those familiar with that. They also had the first two Manilla Road original pressings and they were at least twice what you'd normally pay.
I know a guy who was selling Vixen - Made in Hawaii for 300 euros in a norwegian store, he ended up giving it too my girlfriend though 'cause he's sleeping with her mum.... why can't my mum date those kind of guys? I'm fucking jelous!