LIVE & OTHERWISE BLOG

Share rare mp3s with forum members. PLZ READ UPDATE!
bigfootkit

Re: LIVE & OTHERWISE BLOG

Post by bigfootkit »

Noisenik wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:30 pm I have checked most of the files, and I can say the earlier, the better, so BLACKFOOT gets the highest score. Funny, I was certain it is southern rock band, but it is not, huh. These dual guitars blew me away. But I can't exactly tell who they are remind me of, I'd certainly like to get more music like this - sadly only this 7''. *sobs
At least they left us those 2 songs. The confusion over the 2 bands having the same name actually led to those songs by the Arkansas band ending up as bonus tracks on one bootleg release of the 'No Reservations' album by the better known Jacksonville Florida band, further confusing the issue.
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

I owe at least one more answer, long overdue: I listened to the whole batch a lot back in January through March and have to say that all bands range from very good through great to excellent. PEARL, FOX & COMPANY and FURY I find especially appealing. And PEARL sound incredibly well recorded.
I am ... the One you warned me of
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

Noisenik wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:13 pm I owe at least one more answer, long overdue: I listened to the whole batch a lot back in January through March and have to say that all bands range from very good through great to excellent. PEARL, FOX & COMPANY and FURY I find especially appealing. And PEARL sound incredibly well recorded.
Nenad, sorry, i missed your post until just now.
I enjoyed the Pearl material too even though it's really commercial compared to most of what i listen to. Occasionally they almost border an out & out New-Wave styled sound, but the guitars are never buried too low in the mix which gave them an interesting individual angle. They could have played it safer & become very bland as a result but neatly avoided that trap.
They were on that same New York Tri-State club circuit that spawned the likes of Twisted Sister, Zebra, Cintron & others, where bands could play to 100s or even 1000s of people every night of the week & there was serious money to be made if you were a good tight live act. I'm guessing Pearl reinvested some of those earnings into their recordings because they do sound very accomplished, as you pointed out, particularly for independent recordings of that era.
I remember being quite enamoured by the B side of the Fury 45, though overall they failed to live up to their promising band name stylistically despite the presence of a young Nicko McBrain in their ranks.
The Fox & Company 45 i recall as sounding very professional but a bit run of the mill, but i'd still like to hear their full length LP.
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.