When LPs are reissued ...

All vinyl-specific issues goes in this here subforum.
tomas

When LPs are reissued ...

Post by tomas »

Does the price of an original go up or down? There are arguments for both possibilities. When an LP is reissued, a lot more people get to know the band / album, so the demand for originals goes up, so the price goes up as well. On the other hand, the price can also go down because diehard fans no longer have to settle for an expensive original and can buy a new cheaper version.

What's your opinion on this? Does anyone know any examples of what happened when reissues came out?
sovdat

Post by sovdat »

At least on CD market the price usually drops after the reissue / bootleg.
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

do you mean when lps are reissued on lp? Because usually only the big popular bands get reissued on vinyl and these records are not really rare. If you mean like the Dark Quarterer vinyl reissues for example, these did not effect the originals at all. I have original Dark Quarterer lps and I also bought the vinyl reissues because they have bonus tracks. and they are actually nicer production than the originals.
sovdat

Post by sovdat »

How about stuff like Slauterr Xstroyes, Graven Image (People in Hell Still ..), Militia (7"), ..? Did the price go up or down or stayed the same?
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

I know some LPs have gone up after being reissued on CD b/c more folks finally got to hear the music and then wanted the original. Not sure how vinyl reissues have affected the originals' prices though
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

Personally I stop hunting for an original when a good LEGAL reissue is released. I really don't need an original Slauter Xtroyes LP when I can settle down with the Monster Records reissue. This only counts for vinyl though. I think when for example Solar Eagle will be given a proper re-release the original vinyl will drop in price immediately. Why spent $1000,- for an original when you can have the same music legally on a great vinyl re-release for $20,-.
Long Live The Loud !!!
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Why for example go after an original GRAVEN IMAGE 12" (which is pretty doubtful that you'll find in mint/ex condition) when the vinyl reissue has ALL the recordings the band has ever made?

Many complain about some reissues which are available on CD only (and they do have a point), but this particular one is on VINYL and there are STILL some people that will pay 1000$+ for it. It is just sick and insane and it has nothing to do with each one's love for the band or heavy metal in general, it's only a pure fetish. Some will disagree, but that's the way i see it.
Last edited by ION BRITTON on Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

There will always be some who only want the original item.

Speaking of vinyl reissues, does anyone have any info on the Armoured Angel 'baptism in blood' vinyl reissue that apparently was released recently? This was a cassette-only release back in the day, so this is its first appearance on vinyl. There was talk last year of a 2CD set being made to release some of their old demos, but this vinyl press of BiB came out of the blue
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
khiijol

Post by khiijol »

nightsblood wrote:Speaking of vinyl reissues, does anyone have any info on the Armoured Angel 'baptism in blood' vinyl reissue that apparently was released recently? This was a cassette-only release back in the day, so this is its first appearance on vinyl. There was talk last year of a 2CD set being made to release some of their old demos, but this vinyl press of BiB came out of the blue
i'm actually curious about this myself. the baptism in blood demo from the tracks i heard on their website sound way different then the next couple of demos they did (which i personally love, especially the "communion" demo)
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

Some lp sellers won't even touch new releases or reissues. Jan Svanhill is a perfect example. He only wants old records, he has zero interest in new stuff. He cannot find new stuff for $1-$10 and charge $100 for example. Just not enough profit in a new release. A lot of collectors don't care about new releases either, guess it isn't cvlt enough.

Armoured Angel, check here, there is a thread about it, I asked a question that got no response:

http://nwnprod.com/forum/viewforum.php? ... 6e693586a2
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

khiijol wrote:
nightsblood wrote:Speaking of vinyl reissues, does anyone have any info on the Armoured Angel 'baptism in blood' vinyl reissue that apparently was released recently? This was a cassette-only release back in the day, so this is its first appearance on vinyl. There was talk last year of a 2CD set being made to release some of their old demos, but this vinyl press of BiB came out of the blue
i'm actually curious about this myself. the baptism in blood demo from the tracks i heard on their website sound way different then the next couple of demos they did (which i personally love, especially the "communion" demo)
This link (seller) is Lucy from Armoured Angel, so you can be rest assured that you'll be buying direct from an original member:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Armoured-Angel-B ... dZViewItem

And here's the link to the label:
http://www.abysmalsounds.com/
convent guilt

Post by convent guilt »

Regarding the Armoured Angel 'Baptism...' LP, it was released by a bloke here in Australia, with permission from the band (and is available from AA bass player Lucy's store www.ravenclothing.net).

And yes, it sounds like Maiden or Priest, completely different to the dark thrash/death sound that they purvayed for the rest of their career. That's the main reason it's never been made widely available 'til now.

I'm pretty sure the DLP/DCD with EPs and demos is still on the agenda, but just what form it will take I'm not sure.

Now, back to the original topic...
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Thanks for the AA info; I just received my copy of BiB from Lucy a day or two ago. Killer band! TBH BiB is heavier than I expected, though it's not the same kind of death-thrash as on later releases. Maybe it's just the production/sound quality, but it has a heavier vibe to it than your typical Maiden-Priest copycats; a better comparision MIGHT be something like 80s Pentagram (US) or Czar (I've only played it once, so I may be off base here).
Sorry for hijacking the thread.... back to the topic, SALEMS WYCH seemed to jump in value after the cd reissue came out.
-Becky
Cochino

Post by Cochino »

And how much lower is the price of a vinyl of it's and old but foreign edition? I ask that because almost all vinyls I can get are Brazilian. Honestly I don't care that much about the value on the collectors market since I want the vinyls for myself, and I like vinyls no matter where they come from. But I ask only for curiosity.
MEXDefenderOfSteel

Post by MEXDefenderOfSteel »

The Sentinel wrote:Personally I stop hunting for an original when a good LEGAL reissue is released. I really don't need an original Slauter Xtroyes LP when I can settle down with the Monster Records reissue. This only counts for vinyl though. I think when for example Solar Eagle will be given a proper re-release the original vinyl will drop in price immediately. Why spent $1000,- for an original when you can have the same music legally on a great vinyl re-release for $20,-.
this is almost the same trhing i do....if i got the original-official, i really dont care much about the ultra-expensive first pressing....i dont have a problem if i received for free haha :roll: