Scorpions

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Keir

Scorpions

Post by Keir »

I missed the discussion in the Introduction thread, so I thought I'd bring it up here where it kind of belongs.

While I prefer the Uli-era Scorpions, I also love the first album and everything up to and including Love at First Sting. I like the newer material too, I just don't love it. In fact, I will actually go so far as to say that they are my favorite band of all time. It's hard for me to pick a favorite album between In Trance, Virgin Killers and Taken By Force, but I usually go with Taken By Force. Of the later albums, Blackout is a clear winner for me.
Nightlock

Post by Nightlock »

Love at First Sting and Lovedrive for me, Coast to Coast is one of the greatest instrumentals ever!
"On your knees
Into the night that you'll never remember"
omegaman

Post by omegaman »

Taken By Force is the only Scorpions album that I've heard in its entirety. What was the story behind that cover art, anyway? I know it was deemed controversial for some reason, but I'm not sure why. Anyway, great album. Someone in Iron Maiden must have been crazy about Sails of Charon, eh? 8)
here to learn
Nightlock

Post by Nightlock »

Yeah speaking of which cover art wise Scorpions are phenomenal! I adore all those early photo manipulations.
"On your knees
Into the night that you'll never remember"
omegaman

Post by omegaman »

Yes, but why did the original cover art need to be changed? Anyone knows?

(I'm referring to Taken By Force)
Last edited by omegaman on Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
here to learn
Mr Nuke

Post by Mr Nuke »

I tend to prefer Uli-era too. However, the band kept releasing some good stuff after, and I still wonder which 80's big groups have released an album better that may surpass Love at First Sting. Most FM rock is pure shit yet SCORPIONS managed to get a few perfect songs being known by all, be it ballads.

Well, tracks like In Trance beat anything they did in the 80's, though. Their music was very subtle at the time, something they lost later.
Gott ist tot.
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

They made many tunes in the 80s that are totally classic for me and have a special place in my heart but usually if I listen to scorpions it's something from Uli-era (which I prefer). Taken By Force is my favourite of course.
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
convent guilt

Post by convent guilt »

Greatest band ever in my humble opinion. Everything up to and including 'Love at first sting' is welcome to take over my stereo any time.

I look at them very much the same way as Judas Priest (the second greatest band of all time) - their '70s LPs were much darker, emotional and more interesting musically, yet the commercial '80s LPs are still ridiculously addictive and hold a surprising amount of depth.

Scorps were also the masters of the power-ballad, for better or for worse.

And yeah, for such seemingly uncontrovertial Germans they sure had a knack for coming up with racy (but brilliant) covers.

Not sure about the 'Taken by force' cover, I'll investigate...
sagrotan

Post by sagrotan »

as the one who actived the little discussion in the intro thread I will enter this one accurately when home from work and having more time.. a short one on the covers right now - I am not sure why there are different versions of Taken by Force, but wasn't it just the japanese version that had the graveyard on it? there has also been an modified versions of In Trance with the little bit of looking out breast retouched and, as I remember correctly, Animal Magnetism and Lovedrive (not quite sure about the last two).
Down there in the Darkness
Centuries of Evil
And his Arms will take you deeper and deeper
omegaman

Post by omegaman »

Ok, this is what I gathered from the net:

The original cover for Taken By Force was indeed the one with the graveyard, but for some reason it was changed for US and Europe markets, while staying unchanged in Japan. Apparently, someone thought that the alternate version with the names of the bandmembers written out on the front cover would be more marketable. Whatever. If someone knows more about this, do tell.
here to learn
Levi

Post by Levi »

I very much enjoy their 70's records. Lost interest after Love at First Sting. They just lost that special touch they once had, like someone else mentioned.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

The Uli Roth period is godly with "In trance" being my favorite LP followed by "Taken by force". And, well, you may shoot me for this but i like them a lot even until "Face the heat".
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

I'll be very original : the Uli Roth era !! The "Tokyo Tapes" double-lp is fantastic, one of the best live album ever recorded imo, "Virgin Killers" is my favorite album. I lost interest in SCORPIONS just after "Black out" album.
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

I like only the World Wide Live everything else i have heard from Scorpions doesn't seem to interest me.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Fucking Åmål wrote:I like only the World Wide Live everything else i have heard from Scorpions doesn't seem to interest me.
Too much Wallop and Tyrant has its consequences. Be careful, Vag. :D
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart