Highest valued US METAL releases

All vinyl-specific issues goes in this here subforum.
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

glock- thanks for the critique! Yes, my numbers were a combination of ebay, popsike, items I've seen sold, and the numbers people had given earlier in this thread (i thought I stated that at the top of the list but i apparently forgot to, sorry). As you pointed out, those sources are obviously limited.
The only correction you made that I can comment further on is the Leather Nunn; 2 copies sold in June of 2006 went for $1125 and $1225, a copy auctioned in September 2007 sold for $914, and a copy auctioned in december 2007 closed between $1000-$1200 (all these are listed on popsike except the last one). Popsike also lists 2 copies selling in 2004 for $770 and $566. Thus, based on the popsike data, Leather Nunn was going for $500-700 about 3 years ago but has repeatedly sold for $900-1200 in the past year. Again, that's just going by the popsike data; if you've seen copies routinely selling in the $500-700 range in the past year, then the auctions listed on popsike may represent inflated prices due to bidding wars.
Anyone else reading this thread should definitely put more stock in glock's numbers than in mine; he has tons more experience with these items than I do.

Kthulu- thanks for your input. Glock- has stated in a different thread (link below) that the Amethyst pressing is 500, not 100. Metal Arhives says 100 but i trust glock's number, not MA's. It's still probably a very expensive item.
Here's the link; another very informative thread:
http://www.thecorroseum.com/phpbb2/view ... t=amethyst
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
MassOfKthulu

Post by MassOfKthulu »

Lets not forget items we were all dreaming about in the past and then multiple copies turned up
there were times dark night was selling for 300+ dollars
or joe step 300+
xcel was an unknown monster rarity commanding in excess of 600+ once upon a time -i rang the bass player askin for copies and them boom suddenly they come up on ebay by the guitar player's brother
same as sacrafice -the german ep
Btw Paradoxx was never an actual item for sale
same as a few test presses too rare to be valued,like Zaxas,Tyrus etc and the like only the big time collectors have -Preisig,Syris(Crystal amethyst),Cranford i suppose etc
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

From Popsike (ebay) all mint with covers

Sabre $545, $225, $203

dark night was selling for 300+ dollars Very true now this is a 75-125 record

joe step 300+ I can still sell it for this if not more. (I paid 750 for the first known copy)

xcel was an unknown monster rarity commanding in excess of 600+ once upon a time -i rang the bass player askin for copies and them boom suddenly they come up on ebay by the guitar player's brother The price dropped at that time to $35 by the end of the ebay sales Now I think the price is back up to $125 or so

sacrafice -the german ep The most I remember this going for was 100 then when Qty turned up it was a $50 record. the last copy I sold on ebay went for 65.

Btw Paradoxx was never an actual item for sale YES this was in the first Rare Ass list for $35. also at least 8 copies of past hands over the years (which is more then other records)

same as a few test presses too rare to be valued,like Zaxas (There is a true press of this on Accent, same label as the Xcel 7" it wasn't a test only deal)

But yes there are records that just aren't KNOWN yet to the genral public that have SOLD/TRADED for BIG$$$$
humus

Post by humus »

Glockose, you should write a rare US metal encyclopedia, followed by your memoires as a record collector. I'd buy it.
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I dont know if the world could handle that.
Goldmind mag. asked me to do this 2 years ago and I said no.

HAHAHA
sovdat

Post by sovdat »

Just curious, for how long have you been dealing / selling records? And about that Militia & Paradoxx, which went for way more than 3k and 2k - am I allowed to ask how much was that?
OmenOfSteel
Location: fucking non white worthless left wing dick sucking scum bag

Post by OmenOfSteel »

Interesting thread!

Most prices seem accurate, exception are these here:
glockose wrote: leather nunn 1200 (Way too high more like 500-700) nope, surely 1200-1500 today
Street Child 500+ again (+) 1000 - 1500, never a copy on Ebay
Legend 500 1000-2000 for a MINT copy
Savatage blue vinyl 400-500(I would say higher for realy clean copies) 750+
Some other high-priced US records not mentioned yet:
Angel of Mercy - Avatar LP 1987
Malachia - Under the Blade LP 1986
Raven Bitch - Tear down the Walls 12" 1987
Satans Host - Metal from Hell RED Vinyl (Orig) LP 1986
Dragonne - On Dragons Wings MLP 1988
Shadow - Iron Umbrella LP 1989
Warzwolf - Valley of the Shadows LP 1987
Monarch - As your Kingdom Falls LP 1983 (WHO HAS THIS?)
Thynn Ice - Test press only LP 1992 (okay, not 80ies...)
We praise the blood that metal brings
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

sovdat wrote:Just curious, for how long have you been dealing / selling records?
Way too long.

I started buying and selling records in 1986
Put out my first Metal List in 1992 as John Haupt
Put out the first OPM Sale List in 1995
I think Duece came out 95/96

The thing most dont know is I bought & sold a lot more then just metal
Yes these days (last 10 years) 90% was Metal / Hard Rock / AOR

But I have sold everything over the years
Country / Rockabilly / R&B / Blues / 50's,60's,70's / Prog / Garage / Psych / Folk 45's,78's,LP's ............

I have purchased 100's of thousands of records
I have been all over the USA looking for records
And OPM tracked down 100's of bands from the 80's

YES I AM A OLD TIRED MAN.

I would like to post Diggin stories but I dont want to be the only one.
Does anyone else go out looking for records??? Tracking Bands??
Do you have any Funny stories???
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

glockose wrote:I would like to post Diggin stories but I dont want to be the only one.
Does anyone else go out looking for records??? Tracking Bands??
Do you have any Funny stories???
Sounds like a great idea for a thread, John. You better start it and set the standard. I'm sure I can fill in once I'm home from work and the beer start clearing my memories.
MassOfKthulu

Post by MassOfKthulu »

set the ball rolling John,im in to read and write a few funny stories
Screw Hilary and Obama,OPM for president
Fils Du Metal

Post by Fils Du Metal »

Oh my God, if I read this post and will start taking part in the discussion the week-end is over hahaaha...here in Germany and Switzerland there are possibly QUITE different prices paid and hunting stories etc. Last copy of PARADOXX went for 3500 US$+
STREET CHILD is always 1000 US$+
will go cleaning the house and return for more text...hunting down DARK HAZE
:-)
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

I agree.
That was why the (+)
I really didn't want to say that I sold a copy for XXXX I thought the (+) was good enough
Mr Nuke

Post by Mr Nuke »

I'm maybe not Metal enough, but if I had 1000$ to spend, I'd gladly take a flight to India or so instead of wasting them just to own a rare record that isn't often half as good as some less rare ones that sell for under 100$.
Gott ist tot.
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

Mr Nuke wrote:I'm maybe not Metal enough, but if I had 1000$ to spend, I'd gladly take a flight to India or so instead of wasting them just to own a rare record that isn't often half as good as some less rare ones that sell for under 100$.
Or have ten Thailand girls for fucking all day and night for a week :wink: 8)
Fils Du Metal

Post by Fils Du Metal »

Tracking down a band thanks to Dan....

Never heard or saw the HELLBREATH LP "Slave of God" before. When reading Dan's mighty page I discovered it and I wondered why I have never seen this LP in the last 20 years.

So I started hunting and seeing it is a German band gave me hope cause this record has never been out on the market in quantities.

Checked the names of the band members not knowing anything. Found one member's name and the strange thing was: He was mentioned as piano player in a music school for children etc....

Next surprise: The music school is in MY city of Villingen. Ok, not enough for that:
Reading the name of the music school: It is a music school 2 streets away from me. WOW, just passing this school always not recognizing it as what it is....

So I mailed the owner of the music school in the evening over their homepage and then the strangest thing in my life happened.

I had asked for the guy from HELLBREATH (whose name I don't wanna mention you will later know why) and asked if he could give me contact to him and if it would/could be him. Maybe he has the same name as the HELLBREATH guy...

Still in the evening I had the answer of the music school chief which caused a VERY strange evening and a strange feeling in hunting down a record:

"Hey Peter, yes it is XXX from our music school. But the sad thing is: He died 4 weeks ago".

The musician had/has same age as me that time: 38 years. I did not ask why he died but the chief of the music school forwarded the email to the brother of the musician and he mailed me some day and gave me contact to another band member where I finally got 2 copies of the LP for a collector price (he knew the record is rare).

First thought was not to get the LP because there could be a curse on it after this story.
Did not ask why the guy died but a strange feeling holding it in hands, listening to it and putting in collection. The band lived 20 km from me in the next town of TROSSINGEN and released the LP privately that was all I gotta know but a strange thing hunting down a record in the big internet world.

Finding the band 2 streets next to you and hearing that the guy died 4 weeks ago...

Ok, too much text and no funny story but a strange one to remember....