written resources for collectors

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
Keir

written resources for collectors

Post by Keir »

Wouldn't it be great if there were a book like Malc MacMillan's NWOBHM Encyclopedia for every little subgenre or geographical niche in metal? Well, there isn't, but there must be other good books out there. Any suggestions?
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

i have something ,in kusare´s metal site EVERY ONE OF YOU must have downloaded the DISCOGRAPHY of nearly 3000 semi-obscure to obscure bands here´s the link http://www4.pf-x.net/~steeler/disco/discography.htm
start from A TO Z i think it is an outstanding work that you can have in your PC and search it when you need it you can also print and make a book of it!!It also contains very few mistakes corsidering the amount of data that is featured.Really a MUST!! :wink:
peterott

Post by peterott »

I have tried to build up a label-discography page with labels like Wild Rags, Cogumelo, Sombre, Baron/Carnage/Loud Out (the unholy polish trirachy), DSP, Seraphic Decay, Chainsaw Murder, Adipocere, No Fashion and approx. 120 other labels.

http://www.geocities.com/peterott/labels.html

(I know, merciless self-promotion, but I need help to fill some empty blanks in this label list).
Ruthlessmetal

Post by Ruthlessmetal »

The Swedish Encyclopedias I & II are great. there are also a few websites like www.metaleros.br.
Keir

Post by Keir »

Ruthlessmetal wrote:The Swedish Encyclopedias I & II are great.
You mean this one (and its sequel)?
http://www.premiumpublishing.com/all_books/shr/shr.html

How much of it is hard rock versus metal? Does it have really obscure bands? And has it been released in softcover? Certainly looks interesting. Thanks for the tip!
Fucking Åmål

Post by Fucking Åmål »

www.rockofnorway.com should be added up in the links section there are of course some of the heavy metal releases of Norway but there are also tons of 80's Norwegian releases into more melodic stuff such as A.O.R,Hard Rock.Don't forget to download the discography of norwegian hard rock.Dan it's 80's after all. 8)
mountainofthedead

mutha fuckin aminal

Post by mountainofthedead »

uhh, don't know if are into diggin in the americas but Martin Popoff (editor of Brave words bloody knuckles)(bravewords.com) has a great guide titled "The collector's guide to Heavy Metal Vol 1 the Seventies". Its got all of the much known and revered albums of the 70's from around the world and also covers alot of obscure american doom and 70's heavy metal. His reviews are pretty witty and concise, so check that out. I heard that the vol 2 the Eighties came out last year, but haven't seen it. I bet its good judging from the first volume.
metalmartyrdoom

Re: mutha fuckin aminal

Post by metalmartyrdoom »

mountainofthedead wrote:Martin Popoff (editor of Brave words bloody knuckles).
Is indeed a complete jack-ass.... never listen to anything he says.... of course this is just my opinion.... but I'm sure many here will agree with me. :wink:
mountainofthedead

curious

Post by mountainofthedead »

Is indeed a complete jack-ass...

Eww I made a faux pas.. I realized he was a meglomaniac (as most published authors are) but are you talking about his work with BWBK? How did you realize his Jack-Assery? And you are right, it is all just opinions.....
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

The Swedish HR/HM encyclopedias are great, really informative and features tons of really rare stuff. Janne Stark (the author and also a member of FWOSHM band OVERDRIVE) has tried to be as complete as possible, although I still keep finding titles he's missed out on. Musically they feature anything from seedy aor/pop-HR to grim blakk metl. The first volume is quite rare today.

Has anyone read that book on Italian Metal? It's supposed to be written in italian, but I guess it could be pretty interresting to eye through anyway.

As cool as real books are, I can still understand why people rather makes web encyclopedias than struggle with printers and book distributors. I try to update The Corroseum link page every time I find a new interresting encyclopedic Metal site. Let me know if I've missed anything! Pages with a focus on specific countries are of Xtra interrest.

Edit to add: http://www.starkmusic.net/encyclopedias/
Stark

Thanks!

Post by Stark »

Thanks for the kind words and interest! I'm always looking for stuff missing in the books, so all tips are immensely welcome! I'm currently gathering material for Vol 3. I'm still not sure exactly when it will be released and the exact form it will have. But, be sure, it WILL be released!

Since "Vol 2" I've found a lot of stuff, but stuff missed out and new, which I (when time allows it) will publish a list of on my website for you to check out.

C YA!
Janne Stark
"The Arthur"
If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off!
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Stark, it seems the kind of book everyone's screaming for is a volume that includes all bands from the 2 previous volumes + the new/forgotten ones. That 'Ultimate Swedish HR/HM Encyclopedia' would surely be a bestseller!
Stark

Vol 3

Post by Stark »

Great! That's actually what I wanted to hear. I'm not sure if another "up-date" like Vol 2 with just the new stuff plus up-dates of the old active bands, is relevant. I'm also all for making one big mother of a book with ALL bands, all corrections made and up-dated info on all old bios, too, as I've received some of that as well.
I'll be sure to bring this up with the publisher.

Any other feedback which would make this the ultimate book is highly appreciated!
If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off!
pentagramophone

Post by pentagramophone »

My vote definitely goes for one giant book insted of plain vol.3. I have the first two volumes and already now I sometimes find myself browsing both of them twice in search of a certain detail until I realize the band is listed in the latest additions section of vol.2. As much as I love getting lost in browsing these books (and forgetting what I was looking for in the first place) I just fear a third separate volume would be too much for this simple engineer to handle.
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

I don't have any Swedish book about metal. I tried to find one but unfortunaltely, never found one. So, one big book about swedisch metal definately has my vote, because I will never find a volume I or II.
Long Live The Loud !!!