True Doom Power

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

Korgüll wrote:What about early Cathedral??

They really revolutionized doom as we used to know it? I remember it being quite unique at the time...

Or were they just posers & lucky they became quite popular??
Flutes, grunts and all were all already present. After the first stuff they did become posers, but the first album is real doom metal.
DMR

Post by DMR »

MassOfKthulu wrote:anything looking suspiciously hippy-ish
That disqualifies Black Sabbath, and probably Cathedral too.
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

DMR wrote:
MassOfKthulu wrote:anything looking suspiciously hippy-ish
That disqualifies Black Sabbath, and probably Cathedral too.

I see distinct differences.
msp

Post by msp »

Yes, one photo is in black and white :lol:
Remember kids, only high priced rarities are true...
Dodens Grav

Post by Dodens Grav »

MassOfKthulu wrote:anything southern lord related
Internal Void?
GJ

Post by GJ »

DaN, it is my belief the word "true" needs a hammerfall treatment!
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

Black Axe wrote:After the first stuff they did become posers
Eh? They weren't "posing", they just got a bit comical.
GJ wrote:DaN, it is my belief the word "true" needs a my gay lover treatment!
Replace it with "tripe", maybe? Or "tribble"?

"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."
Satan is Our Pal

Post by Satan is Our Pal »

Korgüll wrote:What about early Cathedral??

They really revolutionized doom as we used to know it? I remember it being quite unique at the time...

Or were they just posers & lucky they became quite popular??
Nope these did the hard slog playing on "Grind" bills with fucking idots stage diving etc. They've evolved into one of the finest British Metal acts of all time, who didn't become posers but harvested a more humorous side to themselves. Listening to The Forest LP the day it came out blow me away.They became popular because they are fucking great Korgy.

I don't fully understand peoples take on what constitutes a doom band. Discharge are a doom band, Pagan Altar have never been a doom band to my ears.
Battlescarred The Story of Ebony Records
www.myspace.com/476306938
daniel wrote: Mr. ultimate metalmaster.
Ernest Thesiger

Post by Ernest Thesiger »

No, Doom are a Discharge band!
"His name's Antichrist Vandelay. He's an insulter-expulser."
Satan is Our Pal

Post by Satan is Our Pal »

Ernest Thesiger wrote:No, Doom are a Discharge band!
Bugger off!
Battlescarred The Story of Ebony Records
www.myspace.com/476306938
daniel wrote: Mr. ultimate metalmaster.
Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

Satan is Our Pal wrote:I don't fully understand peoples take on what constitutes a doom band.
You don't understand doom.
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

Shadow Kingdom wrote:
nightsblood wrote:I like Altar of Oblivion and the latest Gates of Slumber. I never got into many of the Maryland doom bands other than Pentagram. Don't know why, other than many of them seemed too similar to The Obsessed.
I don't really think those Md/Va bands all sound like THE OBSESSED at all to be honest. I think all of them have their own sound. ASYLUM sound different than INTERNAL VOID, than REVELATION, than DEATH MASK than IRON MAN, etc.

There's 2 more I mentioned worth checking out.
Could be that I'm just not familiar enough with the scene or haven't heard the 'right' Md doom bands. It's another of those corners of the metal underground I need to explore more thoroughly someday
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

Ernest Thesiger wrote:No, Doom are a Discharge band!
Haha, true, a bit more pissed off dudes though.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
'pataphysicien

Post by 'pataphysicien »

Satan is Our Pal wrote:I don't fully understand peoples take on what constitutes a doom band. Discharge are a doom band, Pagan Altar have never been a doom band to my ears.
I agree with you here. Discharge have everything Doom is to me, except for the slow riffs. this discussion is a regular on all kinds of forums, but I never felt that a final word was spoken. I also don't think it can be spoken. I could list all the bands that are somehow pure to me, but their musical output would be sonically and thematically very diverse. Doom is only one word and in the end each band is a whole universe in itself, spelling Doom in specific and contingent ways. sure, one could go collecting adjectives, lyrical themes and sonic trademarks, but each band will be judged in their time, their networks. according to relevant traditions, power relations, money, exposure, interests etc.

at some level it seems to me that the people concerned with trueness in Doom are some of the most critical and hardest to please fans. the discussions tend to gravitate around origin stories of the genre, albums defining subgenres etc. and they may seem very conservative. paradoxically the genre is innovated all the time. Reverend Bizarre, The Lamp of Thoth, the last Revelation album.. where do those fit in the templates? sure it's possible to trace their sounds and themes to the big traditions at some level, but those bands/that album traced an original path. true/pure to me nonetheless.

sorry for the rambling. every time I try to get to some bottom with this it slips away. for some weird reason we are concerned with trueness, but why it is so important and where it comes from are weird questions to me. for myself I just feel myself gravitating around some nexus of feelings I seem to look for in music, but surely there is more that makes me go 'fuck yes, this is Doom!'. how would I know where to look without people devoted to some traditions and the networks of people that produce, listen to and label music? the idea of true or pure surely is produced by all of these things and we're making it as we go along, not from thin air, but also not from some given universal we can just tap.
surfacer wrote:Do you know ?

because of stupid like you. Died My old friend Jon Nödtveidt.
Lama

Post by Lama »

@ Black Axe

So tell me why Cathedral are 'posers'? Maybe the stuff they did after "Forest..." isn't your thing, and I respect that, but that's no reason for calling them 'posers'.

I think both Lee Dorrian and Gary Jennings are great musicians, who made, and still make, a lot of good music. They know their music history, are obscure music collectors themselves, and I find Rise Above one of the most interesting 'popular' labels around.
Kampel Destruction