How much does XY LP / CD cost?

Heavy Metal Hunting, record Q's & trivia, collector stuff. Rare or not, it all goes here.
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

I'm afraid I have no idea what Kr'uppt is
SideShow

Post by SideShow »

What's Innerfear - Innerfear worth?
sovdat

Post by sovdat »

Two copies used to be on musicstack, and the cheapest was $750 :lol: They're gone but I don't think that they were sold ... But I guess it could be easily $200+

Did you find a copy? :)
SideShow

Post by SideShow »

sovdat wrote:Two copies used to be on musicstack, and the cheapest was $750 :lol: They're gone but I don't think that they were sold ... But I guess it could be easily $200+

Did you find a copy? :)
Have been offered one, but I don't think I'll have the cash to buy it....
sovdat

Post by sovdat »

Musically it's very average thrash, nothing special - except for the fact that only 250 of those were made ;)
Nebuchadnezzar

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

& how sure is that fact?
sovdat

Post by sovdat »

Their guitar player Ray said so ... (250 CDs, 250 tapes).
Helstar

Post by Helstar »

Ueickap (yes that's actually the horrible name lol), my cousin's band (music engineer of last Schizo album too), released a self-printed cd in 2005, and there are 1000 copies.

Since last year they are already saying "only 200 made". 'Nuff said.
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

sovdat wrote:Their guitar player Ray said so ... (250 CDs, 250 tapes).
... and did you ask him to tell you what factory would press 250 real cds with offset inserts? I'd really love to know the answer to that question :lol:
sovdat

Post by sovdat »

stormspell wrote:
sovdat wrote:Their guitar player Ray said so ... (250 CDs, 250 tapes).
... and did you ask him to tell you what factory would press 250 real cds with offset inserts? I'd really love to know the answer to that question :lol:
In fact I did ;)

It must have been a short run deal at the time. I'm not even sure what company we used. Our management took care of all of that for us. I would try to contact him, but he was murdered a few years back.

And here's his comment on Metal-treasures guest book:

I'm very pleased to see my old bands CD on this site. This CD is in fact extremely rare. I have one copy. Not sure where the others went. We only printed 250 cds and 250 tapes. If anyone is interested in a burned copy. Let me know. rwheeler.kalil@yahoo.com. Also keep your eyes open for my new band LeVeL XIII. We will be releasing a cd in July.....The bass player from Tribulence (another extremely rare cd) also plays in LeVeL XIII.

And comment from staryder1 on heavy harmonies:

My rarest would I have to say is a local TUCSON, ARIZONA band called INNER FEAR that came out in 1992 it is silver pressed so it fits nicely in my all silver pressed quantity quality all silver pressed collection Oh a few facts on this cd 1. Only 250 were pressed 2. Me, Martinsane own 1, and one band member has 2 copies (one for sale at right price) the others ????

:lol:
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

So Ray doesnt know and cannot contact the person who knows coz he is dead already :lol: I'd make an educated guess this was pressed in at least 1000 copies and because it didnt sell good as many of the so called "cult private" releases didnt, it got showed off and forgotten in someone's garage or storage unit, or whatever.

Anyway, just to make it clear, there is no such thing as "short run" deal when replicating cds. The biggest part of the price is associated with the glass stamper, so most factories will start from 1000. You can find places which will press 500, or even less nowadays, BUT the price you will pay would be the same or very close to what you'd pay for 1000. Like for instance if making 1000 cds would cost you $630, making 500 would cost $600 or thereabouts. You can probably find a place to make less than 500, but the unit cost would be so higher the total will be again close to $600. That's how it goes.

Same goes with the offset inserts. So all in all it goes down to the fact that for about the same money you'd pay for 250 cds, you can have 1000 cds. Now tell me who in their right state of mind would do that, especially given this was a brand new band at the time eager to sell as much cds as possible and break through...

John (staryder1) is a character. The dude is on a crusade gathering the biggest "quantity-quality silver pressed collection" on earth. The amazing thing is, he keeps forking the cash, so he may reach his goal at some point, who knows...
slayerhatesusall

Post by slayerhatesusall »

What is Lee Aaron- Metal queen roadrunner slimline cd worth?
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

stormspell wrote:So Ray doesnt know and cannot contact the person who knows coz he is dead already :lol: I'd make an educated guess this was pressed in at least 1000 copies and because it didnt sell good as many of the so called "cult private" releases didnt, it got showed off and forgotten in someone's garage or storage unit, or whatever.

Anyway, just to make it clear, there is no such thing as "short run" deal when replicating cds. The biggest part of the price is associated with the glass stamper, so most factories will start from 1000. You can find places which will press 500, or even less nowadays, BUT the price you will pay would be the same or very close to what you'd pay for 1000. Like for instance if making 1000 cds would cost you $630, making 500 would cost $600 or thereabouts. You can probably find a place to make less than 500, but the unit cost would be so higher the total will be again close to $600. That's how it goes.

Same goes with the offset inserts. So all in all it goes down to the fact that for about the same money you'd pay for 250 cds, you can have 1000 cds. Now tell me who in their right state of mind would do that, especially given this was a brand new band at the time eager to sell as much cds as possible and break through...

Being a label boss, you obviously have more insight on this then most of us do, however, I can't help but think that you are only taking into consideration how modern pressing plants work. Is it not possible that back in the 80's and early 90's that things worked differently as it was quite a bit more expensive to press a CD and that to have a smaller quantity pressed financially made more sense to a band that self-released they're material?

I'm not saying that the "250 unit" number is 100% accurate, but I'm sure that a lot of small local bands (especially back then) couldn't justify pressing 1000 CD's for the only album they put out.

stormspell wrote:"quantity-quality silver pressed collection"
What the hell is that even supposed to mean? :lol:
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Avenger

Post by Avenger »

slayerhatesusall wrote:What is Lee Aaron- Metal queen roadrunner slimline cd worth?
Not nearly the price of some of the others in the series.

I've seen is often going for around the $40-$50 dollar price.

I suppose there is a good reason for that, haha...
bigfootkit wrote:"Your Steel Is Not True"
stormspell wrote:"I hate all my releases. I only listen to Korn and Limp Bizkit, don't you know..."
Heathen

Post by Heathen »

PYRACANDA -Two sides of a coin - CD ?